Discuss best practice continuity in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sambotc

If doing end to end continuity testing on a radial circuit (2391 test board) is there a requirement to carry out R1+R2 as well, and if so what does it prove?

I carried out end to end on the board today as some of the circuit used armour as CPC etc and I was told I should have tested R1+ R2 as well, just wondering if this is a requirement?

I was under the illusion R1 + R2 was used more for convenience, what am I missing?

R1 + R2 is a convenient way of testing the CPC of a long circuit, and by doing this you also confirm polarity, because R1 being you line conductor, R2 being your CPC, when joined together if you operate switches you will see the reading going open circuit, then closed circuit assuming your switches are in the line conductor as they should be. This should have been explained to you on your theory course.

Cheers...........Howard

So if end to end is carried out on all conductors, there is no reason to carry out R1+R2? I realise this will very often not be the case, but on the test rig the leads reached so I didn't do R1+R2 as it seemed pointless.

Sam,

I take it you have GN3, this explains it well, but i will try and simplify.

First test on a ring final circuit.
Continuity of ring conductors.
r1,rn,r2, end to end values, and make a note of them.
Cross connect opposing ends of r1 and r2, to make a figure of eight arrangement, then take a continuity reading at each socket outlet from the front of the socket using a plug in breakout box, not at the terminals.
At each socket outlet you will get a reading, this reading should on a ring with no interconnections be the same at every point, and should be a quarter of the value of r1 end to end value, and r2 end to end value when added together. If all your sockets have the same reading, then you have a proper ring, when you test at a spur the value will increase, and it will increase further if there is a spur on a spur. This method also confirms polarity if everything is wired up properly. You then repeat the process but joining r1 to rn and do the same again. These two tests will also highlight any loose/bad connections.
This is the test procedure as per GN3. The long lead method only confirms your CPC continuity.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.............Howard

OP stated radial. if so, then he's already measured R1 and R2, so just add together.

If I remember on the 2391 practical you had to follow the procedures as laid down in GN3.
I know the cables on the test rig were short enough to measure end to end, which they wouldn't be in real life except for the very smallest of circuits, so you had to show you understood the procedure and how you should test in real life.

As Howard said this would show that the CPC was intact, that the polarity was correct, and also give you your R1+R2 value.

Thanks, yeah I understand the principles of it, and I have showed that I understand R1+R2 on another circuit on the test board, but the way it was explained to me today was that it had to be done which I found hard to understand for the above reasons.

GN3 states both methods as being acceptable and the EIC's I use state either or on them, but the test schedule's we were using today were the one's from BS7671 and are more simplified.

I just wanted to double check I wasn't missing something but you've confirmed I haven't!

Thanks

Usually on the test sheets you need to fill in a resistance value for r1 + r2, OR you can fill in a value for just r2.

r2 is for when you use the wandering lead method.

In practice though is it usually better to measure r1+r2 for the reasons mentioned earlier, and also to avoid having wandering leads laying all over the place.

Usually the wandering lead or R2 only method is the preferred way on EICR's and the like where the installation has already been in service (powered up), When I did my 2391 we were filling in an EIC as if it was a new installation.

The reason for this is that they are testing you on all aspects and procedures to see that you understand fully both the sequence and the reasons for the tests.

On an EICR we are encouraged not to disconnect equipment wherever we can avoid it,and so the r2 method is the preferred method, however the r1r2 method is far more satisfactory on a new install.
The college will almost certainly require you to exhibit understanding of both methods.

Because aren't you supposed to test as you would in real life?

Why wouldn't you just link out you line and CPC at the end of the radial and measure your r1 r2 at the DB?

Sorry i've re-read my original post and I didn't add enough detail to the circuit, it was a 3 phase isolator and there was nothing connected to it. No CPC other than the enclosure, and armour to disconnect. I would have had to have made a link to carry the test out.

I carried out R1R2 on other lighting radials so that they could see I was aware of the technique used. When he questioned why I hadn't written down the R1R2 test method on the right up, i explained and was told you should always perform R1R2 as the result will be different than the calculated R1 + R2.

I made a decision as I would expect to in a similar situation or scenario in the real world, and felt a bit peeved. I get a bit tired of doing these kind of assessments and being judged on what they want you to do (without telling you) rather than accepting that you have used a bit of common sense and assessed the situation rather than follow the book.

That is unless I am missing something which I will gladly hold my hand up to if it is the case?

When you do the 2391 test follow to the book,this will make your chances of passing improved,will can all aplly common sense but the exam situations are not made this way so follow GN3 and you can not go wrong,besides its good practise to use the R1+R2 method as said earlier to prove polarity,even if its making you fed up for having to do a link or such like,its getting through the exam and passing it that counts.They want to see competence in testing,if done so pass is easy.

Another query I have is whats a calculated r1 r2 reading?

Are you measuring the length of the circuit then using the values given in regs for the resistance of said cable to achieve this?

As Rob sparky said do it to the book in the exam as this is what they are expecting.

When I did mine I had to do an IR test on a TP+N+E cable, and because I did not have enough links I had to do all 10 tests, a bit tedious to say the least, I would have done this differently in the field, but as it was under exam conditions this was what I had to do.

Reply to best practice continuity in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock