Discuss Best RCBO CU? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

WPD Lad

Hi all,

Wondered if I could pick your collective brains, I'm possibly looking to install an RCBO only board on my newly re-wired house and wanted to know the best make/model? I'll then weigh up the options of dual split rcd with 2 RCBO on the unprotected side or full RCBO.

Cheers

Hi all,

Wondered if I could pick your collective brains, I'm possibly looking to install an RCBO only board on my newly re-wired house and wanted to know the best make/model? I'll then weigh up the options of dual split rcd with 2 RCBO on the unprotected side or full RCBO.

Cheers

Can't recommend any specific boards for you, as i don't know what's available these days in the UK. What i will say, is go for an RCBO board every time, you'll not have a fraction of the problems associated with dual split RCD boards.... Those things are a cheap alternative to doing things properly, and you can pay dearly over the years, for taking that cheap route!! lol!!

but is it newly rewired except for the CU?

I use wylex although they can be quite tight for space, but look neat when dressed in well. RCBO's about £15 - 18. I like Hager but use Wylex as they are IMO good mid range brand and breakers easy to buy B&Q if in a jam after 5.30!

Silly question maybe, but if your property is newly rewired why hasn't it got a shiney new board?

Most of the first fix wiring is in but I've not made my mind up on the CU yet, house is miles off being liveable so I've got a while to make my mind up, just wanted some opinions on brands. Thanks for all the replies

I dont do domestic much but came across an MK sentry C.U. the other day 16th edd split board LOADS of room up top absolutly heaps

Im lookin at fitting nice shiney new C.U. in the house and Im looking at the RCBO route but Im seeing about a M.G. 1ph as they have Hunners n Hunners of room
Fittted a newlec C.U. other day 17th edd n thought to my self " theres not much room once you have all those cross split board connections flying all over the place SURLEY there is a better way to do this As for the bussbar at bottom n having to remove it to fit an MCB give me switchable M.G. every day no need to kill full db to change,add a circuit

These are my proposed circuits?

32A Upstairs Ring32A Downstairs Ring
32A Kitchen Ring
6A Upstairs Lighting
6A Downstairs Lighting
16A Fridge Radial
16A Freezer Radial
20A Oven Radial
20A Oven Radial
32A Hob Radial

Overkill? All on RCBOs

Yes Hager for sure. In about 7 years of using almost nothing but Hager, I have never seen a faulty bit of kit yet, even after years of (ab)use.
I have had other cheap RCD units that don't meet disconnection times straight out of the box !!

Hager definately. Where are people getting the RCBO's for 18.00 I'm paying £22???

If you want cheaper but reasonable quality the Curve RCBO boards by Denmans are good value for money and not much more expensive than a dual split RCD board

Bump (and hijacked?), would also be interested in going the majority RCBO route but the best prices I can get are still early 20s plus Vat.

I occasionally order from TLC and have used their Contactum boards in the past but nobody here rates them too highly (I find their boards easy to work and spacious considering they're pretty small), is it the same case with their RCBOs (18.99 web price)?

Reply to Best RCBO CU? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net