Discuss Best Route in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

What is the best route into becomming self employed domestic electrician for me? I have completed C&G2330 17th ed but do not have an NVQ. I do not want to waste time going to work for someone else etc so guess I'm looking at additional courses etc. Any advice welcome

If you think that would be wasting time, enough said.....presuming you've no previous experience, that is.

Last edited:
You might have mentioned that in the OP, as it is it makes you look like another one of the masses of chancers we get around here.

If you already have experience in the form of an apprenticeship, either formal or informal then all you need is tools, insurance, customers, a good accountant and to register as self employed with HMRC.

You might also want to join a scam if it suits your workload

You might have mentioned that in the OP, as it is it makes you look like another one of the masses of chancers we get around here.

If you already have experience in the form of an apprenticeship, either formal or informal then all you need is tools, insurance, customers, a good accountant and to register as self employed with HMRC.

You might also want to join a scam if it suits your workload

Thanks Dave, I didn't want to go in all guns blazing and you lot to think.. "whos this ****"

I already have tools and van etc so am getting there. Been preparing for a little while now (currently employed in the dieing oil & gas industry and I want to get out) I have just been getting mixed opinions speaking with different people. Some people say I need an NVQ and some say I don't. I have already completed an apprenticeship many years ago but am thinking about getting the testing and inspection course under my belt as I believe some of the scams want to see this

I'm like that with everyone, just ask anyone around here ;)

Are you confident that you can carry out inspection and testing? (It's not a trick question) if you demonstrate that you are to the scam assessor then that's all they need.

If your experience so far hasn't included much domestic then it would still be worth teaming up with an electrician working in that area for a while. If nothing else it will give you someone to call on when you need extra hands on a job or vice versa.

Yes I can happily demonstrate the testing side of things just again was on the understanding I had to show him my testing inspection cert? Which scam would you reccomend going with (if any) baring in mind it will be first time signing up

You don't need an NVQ 3 to do domestic, works. It's more for getting a JIB eclectrcians gold card, which is needed if you want grading. Often asked for by employment agency's.
You'd struggle to complete an NVQ3 carrying out just domestic, it's not varied enough.
good luck, crack on, use stroma as their cheapest, generally domestic customers are clueless towards part P, it's just a cash cow, a tax on our industry.

I do know that a college near me now makes it easy doing the nvq 3 you can do the units at college now, I think its wrong they can do that, but hey that's life you will have to do am2 to

Reply to Best Route in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock