Discuss best sds drill?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hey there guys,

im just nearly finishing my first yr (2330) and iv started being asked to do a few jobs, i done an outside light and had to drill through the wall,

i then quickly relized my little hammer drill was compleatly useless, lol so looking to upgrade to an sds drill.

so wondering whats the best for the buck out there,
thanks guys :)

Bosch 36v with interchangeable chucks, had mine 5 years, only thing I've replaced was the charger. Can drill anything, 3' thick walls and had hammer only for chasing. Best money spent!

all depends on what you want. cordless sds drills are OK for odd jobs, but for continuous use, and a hell of a lot less money, buy 110V ( or 240V if it,s for domestic. i got a 110V makita was around £100. does it all.

I use a mid size Bosch breaker gbh ideal for everyday use inc chasing but it might be a bit of a stretch for your first purchase. I would recommend a standard Bosch ideal all rounder with rotostop for small chasing jobs about £100-£130, I had one for years when I first started out, On the bigger contracts i used a 4" grinder on the chases and popped it out with the drill, works a treat and neat job

I have an old DeWalt 110v with rotary stop, again around the £100 mark. I find it does me great for drilling chasing and even 4" core cutting. Seems the moral of this thread is, go cheap, go corded.

better still, look on ebay. loads of 240V and 110V sds drills going cheap. make sure you buy one with rotary stop for chiselling.

I bought acorded 230v bosch SDS recently and wonder why i hadnt bought one before instead of the old cheap version I had with no clutch system so on larger holes had a tendency to break your wrists if given the chance glad to say its now retired and replaced with the bosch its that good i want another already lol

bosch gbh2-26dre

i keep one of these on the van, 230v for non site jobs. ive drilled 5" core holes with it, 30mm solid bits etc........

i paid £85. Ive had makita, hilti, dewalt, hitachi and bosch sds drills and for this price range you cant beat a bosch sds imo.

I use Hitachi DH36DAL, check out the spec. Quality tool and never let me down. can be found cheap too

I have that Makita 110V are the best all rounder for the money, I bought a 750W with rotary stop years ago, and it's still going strong. Although the 110V Bosch I have are good too, but they do not have rotary stop.

For a cordless I have a Hilti TE4 24V that has lasted for years, never missed a beat despite the occasional abuse.

I love the comments about 240V drills, so DIY.

all my kit is 230v. working on my own, mostly domestic no point lugging transformers around.

bosch gbh drill does the job including occasional core drilling when needed, chiselling and 20mm through brick like knife in the butter.

If you are working, that is being paid, then you need to comply with the law with respect to electrical safety, not just the installation work your undertaking.

Under the MHSAW and the HSAW employers and employees have a legal duty to undertake risk assessments for all work they undertake and to reduce the risks to the lowest economic/practicable level. The work you will be doing means that other acts come into play, such as PUWER, CDM and related regulations depending pon what your doing and what equipment your using, such as scaffolding, MEWPS etc.

Now under the CDM regulations and the guidance given out by the HSE for the use of power tools in work environments, bear in mind although it is a home, you are actually working and thus fall under the general scope of the regulations involved, the HSE state the following..

HSE Guidance said:
Tools, plugs and cables designed for DIY and domestic use are not suitable for site conditions. You should use cordless tools or those that operate from a 110V centre tapped to earth (CTE) supply system so that the maximum voltage to earth does not exceed 55V.
Regularly inspect power tools and take them out of service if they are damaged. Tools should be serviced by qualified electricians. Do not do makeshift repairs.

Clearly although it does not ban the use of 240V tools it does strongly suggest you should not, and generally with the HSE that means you do so at your peril because it it goes wrong and they can demonstrate you have not taken reasonable care , ignored the regulations and guidance or otherwise worked in a dangerous or reckless manner they can and do prosecute.

I would hope regardless of your position on the use of 240V tools though, if you do that they have an RCD attached to the lead at some point for added safety.

Interesting post Outspoken.
I wonder how many regularly get their kit PAT tested? I would guess due to the kit being used in a work environment then the frequency of testing must be quite short?

It always amazes me how complex it can be to fully know every law and regulation that a trade has to have knowledge about. It must be exceedingly difficult to maintain your knowledge base of to cover everything.

Do the schemes actually hold a reference list of all the laws, regs etc. that an electrician should be familiar with?

Hope the above doesn't come across as having a go, it is quite the opposite. Outspokens post just further reinforces why electricians are more than justified in their charges.

Thanks

If you are working, that is being paid, then you need to comply with the law with respect to electrical safety, not just the installation work your undertaking.

Under the MHSAW and the HSAW employers and employees have a legal duty to undertake risk assessments for all work they undertake and to reduce the risks to the lowest economic/practicable level. The work you will be doing means that other acts come into play, such as PUWER, CDM and related regulations depending pon what your doing and what equipment your using, such as scaffolding, MEWPS etc.

Now under the CDM regulations and the guidance given out by the HSE for the use of power tools in work environments, bear in mind although it is a home, you are actually working and thus fall under the general scope of the regulations involved, the HSE state the following..

Clearly although it does not ban the use of 240V tools it does strongly suggest you should not, and generally with the HSE that means you do so at your peril because it it goes wrong and they can demonstrate you have not taken reasonable care , ignored the regulations and guidance or otherwise worked in a dangerous or reckless manner they can and do prosecute.

I would hope regardless of your position on the use of 240V tools though, if you do that they have an RCD attached to the lead at some point for added safety.

Im going to enjoy your posts outspoken!

you're probably right but the chances of summat going with a tool (240v) in good order RCD'd (assuming said rcd works, they fail ye know!) and actually causing an issue apart from requiring .... A new drill, well :teeth_smile:

I would totally agree Spartykus, personally I do not have an issue with the use of 240V tools in a domestic environment so long as an RCD is used, or the circuit is RCD protected at least.

The only proviso I would put on that is that a decent 110V drill lasts a lot longer than a 240V tool...and battery drills are far more useful and handy :D

I wonder how many regularly get their kit PAT tested? I would guess due to the kit being used in a work environment then the frequency of testing must be quite short?

It always amazes me how complex it can be to fully know every law and regulation that a trade has to have knowledge about. It must be exceedingly difficult to maintain your knowledge base of to cover everything.

Do the schemes actually hold a reference list of all the laws, regs etc. that an electrician should be familiar with?

Hope the above doesn't come across as having a go, it is quite the opposite. Outspokens post just further reinforces why electricians are more than justified in their charges.

Thanks

a lot dont pat test equipment, ive met a few who just buy the labels, fill them out then stick them on

Thanks

John, if everyone abided by the PAT testing guidelines, which from memory are not mandatory but a recommended acop, as oppose to a regulatory acop like L8, then 240v tools used for work and the chargers of battery drills would be PAT tested every 3-6 months, however in reality you will be lucky to find anyone doing within the life of the tool.

With regards a database or similar repository of acts, regulations, guidelines, acops etc that a spark/electrical contractor may have to adhere too I really do not think it possible because the whole range of installations, equipment and environments are so varied that the list would encompass perhaps several hundred items, and then you also need to account for manufacturers guides which can cause compliance issues as well.

Reply to best sds drill?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock