Discuss Best Tester for an Apprentice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JJ1992

Just looking for some general advice on buying my first tester. I'm nearing the end of my first year and getting to the stage where im working a bit more independently. Having to borrow my journeyman's tester all the time is not cutting it anymore haha. I'm wondering firstly, should i purchase a voltage and continuity tester or a multimeter? Secondly how much should i spend e.g should i buy cheap as its my first one or should i spend a good amount and

cracking things. sadly my Fluke T5 1000 got broken a few weeks back :( on the other hand- it's my birthday in march...

get yourself some old school one... like kewtech kt61 or robin
KEWTECH KT61 MULTIFUNCTION 17TH EDITION ELECTRICAL TESTER, PART P | eBay
Robin KTS1610 Digital Multi Function Tester | eBay
may not have all those fancy options like meggers do, but does the job.
they go around ÂŁ100 second hand, when you start getting proper money you can think about more expensive ones and keep this as a spare.

Hi Im in my second year at college and I have just bought the robin kts1610 that you mentioned it got delivered yesterday I am going to get it calibrated but can I actually use it in a domestic environment I though I could but some one I know said I could not use it as it says in the regs that you can not use these mft's and need separate testers for each test I asked him wjat reg said this but he didnt say is it true or could I use this as long as it is calibrated

"someone you know" is talking through his arse. nowt wrong with using the 1610.

"someone you know" is talking through his arse. nowt wrong with using the 1610.

Well that's what I thought but they guy who said it was a last year apprentice so was just wondering if he was right (which I didn't beleave) lol I only bought it to practice at home was going to make a small board with lights and sockets (ring and radial) just to practice

You are about to buy one of the most important tools in your life - save hard and buy new (if you can).

MFT's aren't too expensive and one of the forum sponsors gives a discount too.

Reply to Best Tester for an Apprentice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net