Discuss Best tool shop / DIY shop you have visited in the UK in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As per title, what in your consideration is the best tool shop in the UK that you have been to.
Me in Northampton, tucked away down a un remarkable side street is a small looking DIY shop, well small until you go inside, it's vast a real old style place, parking is a problem thought, good for old tools etc.

There used to be a really good one in Abergaveny, opposite Wilkinsons but it's no more. Gone. Vanished. Taunton used to have a good one too. Small on the outside but seemed to go on forever. That too has now closed.

I'm lazy, so whatever is near to me... CPC or B&Q..

in Middlewich there is a small tool shop/hire shop. has virtually everything you might need, even sds auger bits. run by a guy called Dennis, 74.

There is a DIY shop on my street that is a right old little relic. Not very useful for nice tools, so Pete would be walking out in seconds, but great for little bits and bobs. The sign outside used to bear the phrase "A local shop for local people"

There's a shop/shed in Northampton that I visit from time to time when Pete999 posts on here that he's out and about........ it's like Aladdins Cave for tools ;o)))))

There were some gems in Birmingham, sadly most have now closed.

Toolman as mentioned by Flanders gets a vote. An Alladins cave and the only place my old man (a plasterer) would ever buy his buckets!

Suffields Ironmonger on the Stratford Road in Shirley was a great place as was the tool shop on the Pershore Road in Stichley (can't remember the name) a proper engineers tool merchant. Both are long gone now.

ATB

Chris

Found another good shop today. It's near Bridgend in a place called Pyle ( Bit of useless info - I remember from my youth(!) that Pyle was called Hemorrhoid City on the old CB). The shop is called Woodcraft 82 and have a web site at Woodcraft 82 - http://www.woodcraft82.com/ It's one of those shops where you have to wander up and down aisles full of everything you can think of. The type of shop where they still sell screws and nails individually. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.
Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with the shop apart from them raiding my bank balance and filling my arms with things that will make my working life a little bit more rewarding!

Found another good shop today. It's near Bridgend in a place called Pyle ( Bit of useless info - I remember from my youth(!) that Pyle was called Hemorrhoid City on the old CB). The shop is called Woodcraft 82 and have a web site at Woodcraft 82 - http://www.woodcraft82.com/ It's one of those shops where you have to wander up and down aisles full of everything you can think of. The type of shop where they still sell screws and nails individually. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.
Usual disclaimer, I have no connection with the shop apart from them raiding my bank balance and filling my arms with things that will make my working life a little bit more rewarding!
Nice, reck I could spend a few quid in there as well.

If I had gone there just after pay day I would have spent more but pay day isn't until tomorrow :(
The singing raindeer in the garden area were 'amusing'.

As per title, what in your consideration is the best tool shop in the UK that you have been to.
Me in Northampton, tucked away down a un remarkable side street is a small looking DIY shop, well small until you go inside, it's vast a real old style place, parking is a problem thought, good for old tools etc.
Come on Pete999, you could at least name said shop and support a local business :)

Come on Pete999, you could at least name said shop and support a local business :)
Al I have only seen it once, it's in Kingsthorpe sorry Mate I have forgotten the name, next door to Lloyds bank, not even sure if it still exists, of course there is always B n Q.

Al I have only seen it once, it's in Kingsthorpe sorry Mate I have forgotten the name, next door to Lloyds bank, not even sure if it still exists, of course there is always B n Q.
Not a problem Pete. I remember when Screwfix came out that I was really disappointed that it was on the Argos principle as I like to browse products on the shelf. I do like to have a mooch around especially if you’re not sure what you’re actually looking for.

Not a problem Pete. I remember when Screwfix came out that I was really disappointed that it was on the Argos principle as I like to browse products on the shelf. I do like to have a mooch around especially if you’re not sure what you’re actually looking for.
I worked for Screwfix for a while after I retired so I know what you mean

Reply to Best tool shop / DIY shop you have visited in the UK in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net