Discuss Best tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jordan_cosgrove

Can anyone suggest some good quality tools that Electricians use/need, as I am an apprentice who is just to buy a few starter tools?

I would rather get the better tools rather than cheap ones which aren't as good..

Thanks

Strima

Electrician's Arms
I love Bahco screwdriver handles but prefer the CK shafts, that sounds so wrong. Shame you can't pick and choose handles etc...

Keep a close eye on decent tools, they tend to grow legs and bugger off.

thekingiam

Regular EF Member
my advice is buy the cheapest ones you can find to start off with, but a good hacksaw and bolster with hand protection. you are more likely to be carying your bosses tools to start off with and leaving your tools around while your assisting your boss they are more likely to get taken if expensive.your boss wont expect you to have all the tools you need a couple of screwdrivers hammer tape measure, a notepad maybe depending on the type of work your boss does. it sometimes takes years to build up a good colection of tools after your first day ask what your boss expects you to have.they don't bite .......usualy.

OP
D

D80

Find out how good you are losing stuff first. I've always been pretty good at that.

I have an expensive set of Wera drivers about 3-4 years old completely intact. A cheaper set of Wera's with about 2-3 left of the set a year old. No point investing big time in tools only to replace them constantly, and at the same time no point buying cheap stuff if its never lost.

thekingiam

Regular EF Member
i lose my tools all the time, try to keep an i on the good one, i have one good hacksaw that cuts strait and was so impressed bought another the exact same that doesn't.you rely on your tools alot so if your the type that can look after them good on you but if your like me and use them for every diy job in your life then try not to spend to much remember as long as the tool can do its job and you can use it efectively and safely then unless you want to show off your new toys to the boys then be cost effective

axel132132

Regular EF Member
I used to get cheap and in the end it cost alot replacing cheap with cheap so id advise you to go MID range, always TAPE up your tools with certain colour so you know what's yours as people will "borrow" and not put back etc.

I use these and swear by them! Not stupid price and ive tried them all Wera, CK, Knipex etc etc

Screwdrivers:
Bahco Electricians 1000V VDE Screwdriver Set Slotted and Pozi - 7 Piece: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Snips:
Bahco 2101G-160 Ergo Side Cutting Pliers: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Pliers:
Knipex 0306200 Combination Pliers 200 mm VDE Grips: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Drills:
Makita LXT202 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Kit with 2 x Batteries (2 Pieces): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

SDS Drills:
MAKITA BHR202Z SDS- DRILL- 18V- BODY ONLY: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Hacksaw:
Bahco 325 Ergo Hacksaw 12In: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Junior Hacksaw:
Bahco 239 Junior Saw: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Stanley Knife:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-SK-SQZ150003-Squeeze-Knife/dp/B000Y8TG2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1345534719&sr=1-1

When looking for Electricians tools make sure they are fully insulated, the stanley knife is one of them press and click hold as some big sites only allow these now they dont allow standard stanley knifes anymore.

Get on Top CashBack Official Site - The UK's #1 CashBack Site Buy ur clothes etc from there, get cashback save it up and then some of your tools will be free via the amazon vouchers they send, sign up to lovefilm.com and get a free £20 amazon voucher

30 days FREE plus a FREE £20 Amazon voucher | LOVEFiLM

Ive saved up £30 quid so far on top cash back, so if you saved up 30 there and 20 love film.. thats 50 plus theres other vouchers out there to be had for free! So just get shopping around, get free vouchers and get free tools

Hope this helps =]

Resu

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I'm against the CK kit. Bought it when I started 6 months ago and have replaced over half of it because its been crap. (I maybe got a dodgy set but gave up with Amazon/CK returns and warranty). Only things that have lasted are the pliers, needle nose pliers, hammer, level & junior hack saw (with decent replacement blades). At the most I'd use the CK set as more of a checklist, buy the basics first and buy new tools gradually, adding other things such as bolster, head torch, proper Stanley knife, etc. I wouldn't worry about power tools yet, I'm sure your boss will have a spare drill.

Someone said on here before: If you have to borrow a tool more than twice then you should probably own one.

Some tools I have now that I'd highly recommend:
Draper Expert screwdrivers (£25.80)
Stanley FatMax tote bag (£22.42)
Knippex 180mm side cutters (£23.99)

t-s

Regular EF Member
yeh like i said not the best quality but you have the majority of what you need then you replace as you need, the ck bag is ideal im on my second now. the only thing i would really say was crap is the side cutters

mogga

Just me
BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE TOOLSu can afford to lose Personal preferance mine is CK Triton drivers CK modulo drivers Elliot lucas long nose and side cutters nCK Croppers FatMax hacksaw NSW pliers 3 set ( on offer at trade point ) but no 3 bad as it happens

Resu

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
yeh like i said not the best quality but you have the majority of what you need then you replace as you need, the ck bag is ideal im on my second now. the only thing i would really say was crap is the side cutters
Only reason I got rid of the ck bag was because I just couldn't get along with it. (and it never suited me :wink_smile: )

I killed two pairs of those snips cutting the armour off SWA.

Newbyspark

Regular EF Member
I bought the ck starter kit for about 140 quid. Found it very good quality, and like the wire cutters with the 1.5 and 2.5 holes for stripping.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Only reason I got rid of the ck bag was because I just couldn't get along with it. (and it never suited me :wink_smile: )

I killed two pairs of those snips cutting the armour off SWA.
serves you right for using them on steel. score half way through with hacksaw, then snap off.

OP
A

Adam W

You need to find the tools which YOU like and can use best. As has been demonstrated with this CK kit people keep going on about - some like it, some don't, so you don't want to find you don't get on with CK stuff and have to replace the lot, or find you've got a load of tools you never use.
I would suggest buying basic mid range tools (pliers, hammer, sidecutters etc) such as Stanley or Draper, and as already suggested talk to the other guys you're working with and try their tools to see what you get on with and what you don't.

I could even say the same about screwdrivers - I mainly use a medium CK terminal driver which I think I borrowed off the caretaker when I was at school (so I've had it a while) and a medium pozi which I bought for 99p from Robert Dyas. Other drivers I have are a large slotted driver I bought from the local clearance shop for a quid, a small pozi and small terminal which I bought in a CK set which i rarely use the rest of.
I'm not suggesting these are the best or 'right' drivers, but they're what I use and like. It's down to you to find what tools you like.

axel132132

Regular EF Member
I once bought a hacksaw I think was from the pound shop.. Started to hacksaw it first use! AND the hacksaw snapped in two.. Thats right the HACKSAW the blade was still in full tact how crazy is that, that the blade out lasted the actual hacksaw its self ;D!

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
You telling me that when you started off you managed an even score all the way round and didn't have to trim one or two with your snips?
does happen occasionally. in that situation i use the old CK snips that the apprentice once cut through a live 6mm T/E with.

Resu

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Exactly. And that's exactly what I use mine for too now. I found the handles to be too short anyway as I have quite large hands.

shanky887614

Electrician's Arms
serves you right for using them on steel. score half way through with hacksaw, then snap off.
my £15 pair of wiha snips can easily cut through swa.

don't buy wiha screwdrivers they are not strong enough, was doing a conservatory a while ago and could feel them flexing as i was tightening a self tapping screw into steel (they wouldnt tighten them all the way either, had to grab a bahco i picked up on offer at wholesalers a couple days before).

bahco are a cheap set which seem quite good value for money.

try to find a place near you to try the tools out before you buy though as some are right crap. including 2 pairs off grips that i bought last year that are a waste of time and money.

you will find that with screwdrivers that you might use different brands for different sizes. if you get a stanley, knipex cutters and a set of bahco,irazola screwdrivers that will do you till you start aprentaship

ask the guy's you are with what they recommend, usually you can try what they recommend because the tool is generally in there tool bag.

(sorry for my bad grammar)

mayfair

Regular EF Member
Tools that last a lifetime ? with people offering to do CU changes at 150 quid the industry will be on its knees in a couple of years.

Mark1985

Regular EF Member
This is what i've started off with an can recommend:

Draper expert vde screwdriver set
Ck 210mm croppers
NWS 180mm vde pliers
Knipex alliagtor grips
Stabila boat level
Cheap claw hammer
Cheap tape measure
Stanley knife
Draper junior hacksaw
Fluke t100 voltage indicator

I would check ebay as you can get some good deals on there if you search about....

vjsmarwick

Regular EF Member
I have found you get good and bad in every make best to look and try for yourself the only thing I couldn't be without is my baco snips but even them I am on my third set first set joiner used to cut cable out of the way when I was out on the phone and cable was still live and second set I snapped the jaw on them trying to cut a screw so my fault but I find them great.

shanky887614

Electrician's Arms
I have found you get good and bad in every make best to look and try for yourself the only thing I couldn't be without is my baco snips but even them I am on my third set first set joiner used to cut cable out of the way when I was out on the phone and cable was still live and second set I snapped the jaw on them trying to cut a screw so my fault but I find them great.
i agree with that. i quite like my wiha snips there profesinal ones. coat £20 and can cut screws and all with them.

knipex are better but cost more.

had a set of wiha screwdrivers and frankly there good for diy but if you have a tighy screw they are useless.

knipex alligator grips are really good, cant buy tools over the internet or you will be wasting a lot of money

pennywise

Regular EF Member
I always work on the premise any tool with a cutting blade that needs to stay shape buy the best you can afford, any blunt objects spend as little as possible, ie an apprentice ;) Or bolsters etc :)

shanky887614

Electrician's Arms
I once bought a hacksaw I think was from the pound shop.. Started to hacksaw it first use! AND the hacksaw snapped in two.. Thats right the HACKSAW the blade was still in full tact how crazy is that, that the blade out lasted the actual hacksaw its self ;D!
that happend to my hacksaw as well. it was a crap one that you couldnt keep the blade straight in.

kept tightening it and tightening it. the blade was still loose then snap. the prongs that hold the blade snaped.

lesson learned dont buy tools over the internet unless its a replacement for a tool you own

wouldnt have exspected that with an eclipse hacksaw

OP
S

sparkyninja

the best tools I have had are:

kipnex snips
[h=1]bahco be-9888s 7 pc set [/h]
bosch 10.8v 5 pc tool set

stanley avx 16oz claw hammer

stanley fatmax 8mtr tape

stanley fatmax tool organiser

[h=1]Bahco ergo Better stanley knife[/h]

Dcf

Regular EF Member
My advice would be buy the best you can afford at the time,get them marked up so you know they are yours.im still using stuff I bought years ago when I was an apprentice.over the years I've come up with these preferences
pliers Elliot lucas
snips nws combi
screwdivers bahco irazola
padsaw irwin
hacksaw bahco
hammers estwing
im using a set of wiha slim fit drivers just now and find them ok

OP
P

patrickzs

Power tools i go with makita, but they tend to be more expensive than the rest

Status