Discuss best trade to get in to for the youth of today? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyezz

like to see some honest opinions from sparks on which trade they think is going well at the moment (not many surely), but which they think is the most worth-while trade for youths of today? which trade they think will be going strong in the near future and be lots of demand for?
my mind is set on being an electrician (got a few quals) but i would still like to know what you guys think as you are in the know how, you see who are in work who are not etc...
cheers :)

I would still like to think that it was our trade, but in all honesty I don't think it is now.

Up until 20 yrs ago when you trained to be an electrician in encompassed everything in the industry, domestic, commercial, industrial, alarms. fire alarms, etc etc. Now the industry as segregated itself and we have a situation where your given sections to work in.

A full apprenticeship and good training and I still hope it would produce a "rounded" electrician, but alas they are few and far between .

At the moment I think you have to look at any trade as hopefully a "long term" investment, as the building industry is in terminal decline, both domestic and commercial.

I'm sorry if my son/daughter asked me this, I would advise, going into our industry via an engineers degree, you can see that chartered engineers are still sought after and still can make a decent living.

I would still like to think that it was our trade, but in all honesty I don't think it is now.

Up until 20 yrs ago when you trained to be an electrician in encompassed everything in the industry, domestic, commercial, industrial, alarms. fire alarms, etc etc. Now the industry as segregated itself and we have a situation where your given sections to work in.

A full apprenticeship and good training and I still hope it would produce a "rounded" electrician, but alas they are few and far between .

At the moment I think you have to look at any trade as hopefully a "long term" investment, as the building industry is in terminal decline, both domestic and commercial.

I'm sorry if my son/daughter asked me this, I would advise, going into our industry via an engineers degree, you can see that chartered engineers are still sought after and still can make a decent living.

spot on malc

Im sorry to say I woldnt advise any trade as trades are getting so diluted BUT pricework stuff like Curtain walling Celing fixing ect seem to be making the money without the Long hours

i use to raised flooring, and walk on ceilings , and when work dried up i didnt even look for an employer in the same trade, but chatted to guys at bootsale few weeks ago and they still traveling to dublin for the week and getting good wage, well so they say

I was having a look on the planning portal for my council last week, and it is surprising how many applications have gone in since Christmas for new builds and conversions in my county.

As an idea population of my county is 118,783 over 159 hectares, and total applications since Christmas = 50 ish, compared to November there was 5, and that was an average for the last year. So something is happening down this end.

Juct checked list again, and another 20 have been listed since last week, so something is happening and it seems to be improving down here

lol, it has to be the right sponge,only certain cleaning products,interceptor drains,thats a laugh.
My son-in-law runs his own valeting company,cost him a load of dosh just for ins,rent, rates,water rates,drian & interceptor cleaning.

Here in midlands I think all construction trades struggling I am sparky brother plasterer brother in law chippie and mate brickie all of us struggled last couple of years.

I'm in the same boat as my oldest is nearly 17 n has no idea what he wants to do.he has been out wi me since he was about 8 now n agin nd I can clearly see he has ability in what I do, but no interest at all!
i told him to do something like mechatronics n get in the subsea game like his uncle so we will await n see if the penny drops.dont fancy the chances of any young uns getting any kind of job this summer tho.the condems ain't exactly covering themselves in glory on this(or any other front IMO)

Reply to best trade to get in to for the youth of today? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock