Discuss Best true retrofit GU10 LED lamp in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MKSparks

I've been doing a little research to try and find a suitable LED GU10 retrofit lamp to offer my domestic customers, has anyone found a retrofit that offers like for like in terms of light output and colour? Please give any relevant technical info:

• lumen output
  • beam angle
  • colour temp
  • etc...

The closest I've found so far is the Kosnic 5w Hilux:

• Same dimensions as a GU10
  • 300lm
  • 30° beam angle
  • 3000k colour temp

I am aware equivalent output should be closer to 400lm but this is the best match I've found that matches a GU10 for dimensions

As always the technology is still in its infancy and I have no doubt they will get there one day I have avoided them because the replacements are poor a bit like CFL lamps when people say I dont like them but the problem is the 11w is meant to = 60w but actually its around 50w plus an incandescent just goes a CFL just fades making the customer even more jaded about them so I always advise sizing up ie replace a 60w with a 14w =75w but actually =65w plus when the lamp starts to go black around the base think about changing it

well, cfl stands for crap f**** light, so LEDs have got to be better.

I've been doing a little research to try and find a suitable LED GU10 retrofit lamp to offer my domestic customers, has anyone found a retrofit that offers like for like in terms of light output and colour? Please give any relevant technical info:

• lumen output
  • beam angle
  • colour temp
  • etc...

• 300lm
  • 30° beam angle
  • 3000k colour temp

I am aware equivalent output should be closer to 400lm but this is the best match I've found that matches a GU10 for dimensions
I bought some of Homebase, they were 14 quid each (needed ten, ouchhhh) I am quite impressed withthe performance, they fitted flush in the recessed ceiling lights.
my wife found it too bright so I replaced every second with blue 2W types, she is happy now.

I think the LED is starting to become viable, researching options at the moment and if they reach the rated hours being quoted then despite the high initial price there will be savings on energy and fewer replacement lamps needed will all help on payback. Had an interesting chat in a wholesalers a few days ago who seem clued up on the LED technology and was showing me all the options including replacement options for fluorescent lamps

It seems to be that buying cheap is not an option with LED technology and although the more expensive lamps mean payback time increases this appears to compensate for the cheap over driven cheaper LED's that don't deliver the goods and fail prematurely, from the initial calcs I've done the payback period is in the order of 24 - 30 months in a commercial setting assuming that the lamps reach their rated life then the ongoing savings could / should be seen for a further 8 - 10 years before needing to replace the lamp

While there is money to be made on the initial installation mods to convert some types of fitting to LED the repeat business on lamp changes is going to be thin on the ground

I think the LED is starting to become viable, researching options at the moment and if they reach the rated hours being quoted then despite the high initial price there will be savings on energy and fewer replacement lamps needed will all help on payback. Had an interesting chat in a wholesalers a few days ago who seem clued up on the LED technology and was showing me all the options including replacement options for fluorescent lamps

It seems to be that buying cheap is not an option with LED technology and although the more expensive lamps mean payback time increases this appears to compensate for the cheap over driven cheaper LED's that don't deliver the goods and fail prematurely, from the initial calcs I've done the payback period is in the order of 24 - 30 months in a commercial setting assuming that the lamps reach their rated life then the ongoing savings could / should be seen for a further 8 - 10 years before needing to replace the lamp

While there is money to be made on the initial installation mods to convert some types of fitting to LED the repeat business on lamp changes is going to be thin on the ground

I agree, for a commercial client the high quality fittings would make much more sense financially, some of the LED fittings from the well known manufacturers are now boasting 50,000-60,000 hour lifespans on their LED fittings, based on an approximate 45w saving over halogen lamps and factoring cost to replace GU10 or MR16 lamps over that lifetime the client would be looking at around a £330 saving over the life of the fitting...
That's before they consider the savings on maintenance costs, suddenly that fitting doesn't seem so expensive after all!

I think hotels and gyms are the kind of establishments that would benefit most from it to be honest, I know my local gym must spend a fortune on their electricity bills, the place is open 16hrs a day...

Most of my customers are domestic, unfortunately it's harder to encourage them to make a switch to LED lamps, but I've had a few customers take me up on the kosnic lamps, £15 a pop wont break the bank and it's a little extra on the job for me when I'm fitting downlights.

i've been fitting General Electric ones, 4.5W, equiv 35W, 200 lumens, 40 degrees, 2 year garantee,£7 each

not bad, i've had no complaints, people seem to think they are bright enough

I wouldn't have a Kosnic lamp near me, only installed around 12 of them and had 5 fail, including 2 within a day. Know of a lot of problems with them. If going with the Hi Powered LED lamp it would have to be Aurora, but the SMD 5050 is a lot better. LED Hut stuff I find to be top quality and had no trouble with them so far, they do a trade account with Lamps at very good prices. The 3*1W is superb and the 20 chip wide angle is good when downlights area bit far apart.

• lumen output
  • beam angle
  • colour temp
  • etc...

• 300lm
  • 30° beam angle
  • 3000k colour temp

Try these decoled 6w warm white dimmable with correct dimmers and faultless dimming to boot. Cree chips COB 40,000 hours life 100%-0% dimming
I buy a 100 at a time from my wholesaler had no returns yet been 3 months all my customers are loving them
about 12.50 but well worth the cost.
can supply if you are in london

Bell 6w dimmables are unreal - they are brighter than a 50w halogen and fantastic colour rendering.

about £20 each though... but havent had anyone turn them down yet

Have used many including the Philips master and a cheaper loxa one both seemed pretty good and dimmed well with the right dimmer. Obviously a big difference in price but you get what you pay for I guess

Try this company as I used them for my kitchen and bathrooms. The price is good value and the quality looks great with a 5 year warranty *link removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
Crompton 4w is what my wholesalers was dishing out , and seem good £9 for non dimable , but wel wait and see how they handle the British weather :)

megaman modo 6w dimmable, can have daylight, cool white or warm white version. one place around sells them for £10 plus vat.
they go nicely with aurora dimmers. fitted tens of them no complains so far...

Reply to Best true retrofit GU10 LED lamp in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock