Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

50000 kellogs, thats 30000 real ones (miles), just about run in. my hiace has 186,000 miles on clock and not spent anything on it in the 2 years i've had it.

The Vauxhall Astravan suits my requirements perfectly. 141,000 on the clock of my 2007 van and still running great!

I've been using the Peugeot expert at work as a pool van - horrible but got used to it during the couple of days then go to a job in my 2004 hollowed out Astra Hatch and it feels EPIC - its quiet and tight to drive. Being in that rattley tinny van has made me appreciate my car/van (CAN) so until I really need one I'm sticking with the 'Can'

I guess it all depends how much coin you have.
What's your expected mileage etc etc.
I bought a connect, just over a year ago. It's an ex British gas van, has security locks fitted as all Ford's are easy to break in.
It's ok for what I need.
I guess you have to gather as much Intel as you can before taking the plunge.
Do your home work, get a feel for second hand prices by studying eBay and auto sites.
Then take the plunge

To be fair there are many good vans around now, but my experience of the Berlingo is very good . As I have said previously I have access to a dealership size workshop and I seldom see them in.
My mate has had four of them ,albeit lease , not one of them has ever had a problem ; and the fuel economy is phenomenal.

I have had a Nissan env200 for a year now and I love it! Lots of space for a "small" panel Van.

this one runs on pure battery power and fully loaded (usually the case) it has a 55-60 mile range, less in winter. All motorway services have rapid charge stations which top up to 80% in 30 mins.
Fuel costs around 4p/mile no road tax, servicing is cheap and is 100% tax deductible to purchase, even second hand. Do the maths, the loan to buy it costs £350/,month for 3 years.
It's basically the diesel nv200 with a Leaf motor and batteries.. or look at the IC engine variants, I'm well impressed with the physical space and door arrangements.

Hi,

I am looking at getting a small pre owned van. My budget is around 4/5k, does anyone have any advice or experiences to help me decide on which van to go for? Just need something reliable with enough room for my steps, tools, drills and wont break the bank!

A Peugeot partner, vauxhall combo and Citroen berlingo have been the most common suggestions so far.

Thanks!

when I saw the post saying best small van model ,me was thinking dinky toy.
Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,

I am looking at getting a small pre owned van. My budget is around 4/5k, does anyone have any advice or experiences to help me decide on which van to go for? Just need something reliable with enough room for my steps, tools, drills and wont break the bank!

A Peugeot partner, vauxhall combo and Citroen berlingo have been the most common suggestions so far.

Thanks!
look out for an ex-BT vauxhall combo. you might be able to get one already racked out.

Nv200 Nissan - plenty of white ones for next to nothing and loads of room in back for a small van. Have a look at a model with a few more mods and a bit more horsepower (110 instead of 90). Not a bad looking van

I had a combo van, great motor, very reliable if serviced properly.Only had two minor issue's over 14 years, and both where revealed by the engine management module. It's no performance machine, but reliable it is. very awkward to work on, so best left to a mechanic.

iv'e had a few vans over the years, smallest ones were a Subaru Sumo and a Dihatsu Hi-jet. both gave excellent service. after 2 nissan vanettes,1 died from electronics fail, the other rotted away under me, I graduated to a Toyota Hiace. best van i've ever had. had this 04 plate for almost 4 years and only spent on oil changes, 2 tyres, brake pads, and 4 MOTs ( all MOTs were passes). 200,000 on the odometer, and it will still outlive me.

Best Van for Electricians for 2019 / 2020? (Pics Please But Not Essential)

You can vote for 3 - The one you had last, the one you have now, the one you want next.

You don't have to fill all these in. But if you do, copy and paste the questions into a thread of your own. Or quote this first post and just make your own bullet point replies. I'll do one for the plumbers and tilers too. See if we can come up with a formula for best vans somehow, and then I'll write an article for some Van Magazines and Professional Electrician Magazine and whatnot.

Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? best-vans-for-electricians-2019 - EletriciansForums.net

<---- copy from here ---->​

1. CURRENT ELECTRICIANS VAN - WHICH VAN ARE YOU USING RIGHT NOW AS AN ELECTRICIAN?
    1. How much was it? and Was it new or preloved? :D :D
    2. Where did you buy it from? (give them a plug?)
    3. Insurance, were they good enough to give a plug to? - Feel free to link to them and mention price there about
  2. PREVIOUS ELECTRICIANS VAN - WHICH VAN DID YOU USE LAST AS AN ELECTRICIAN?
    3. Insurance, were they good enough to give a plug to? - Feel free to link to them and mention price there about
  3. NEXT ELECTRICIANS VAN - WHICH VAN WILL YOU NEXT USE AS AN ELECTRICIAN?
<---- copy to here ---->
Then past it inside a post of your own in the reply box, and answer what you can. :)

Let's make this thread a handy thread for those looking for vans. I'll make a poll with popular van makes, whether long or short wheel base, what model is was, what extras it had, whether it had a Dab Radio (Best Dab Radios Thread) and that kinda jazz.

Colours? Did you select a certain colour? - Restore it perhaps if it was an old one? (A tiler sticks a new pre 1960s van through the books, restoration the lot, and uses it as 'marketing budget' and offsets it. Does one every year I think. Loafs of old triumphs and fords and bedfords. He's got a collection now.

Going to make a poll, I'll add some van makes. I wont do the models. There is bloody millions of 'em.

But choose a van make from the list, some pick ups in there too.

And then please reply with the pics of them if you can.

NOTES TO BE AWARE OF WHEN POSTING ANY VAN PICTURES ANYWHERE ON SOCIAL SITES
  • Side on pictures of your van if you can't number plates (Apple App to hide number plates) https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hidemyplate/id662558691) - (Google Android App to Hide Numberplates)
  • If you keep tools in your van, and have your post code on any google listings, checkatrade, mybuilder, anything of that sort, and your van pictures show up in Google image search, robbers can link the two and find your van. So avoid posting pictures of it anywhere unless it's locked up in storage or tools are not in the van. This goes for all sites not just our forums.
Best Electricians Vans 2019
  1. Ford Vans
  2. Volkswagen Vans
  3. Vauxhall Vans
I was expecting VW to come out top but Ford wiped the floor with the whole list there.

Last edited:

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock