Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I used to have a vauxhall zafira! but for last 3 years have had a nissan eNV200 electric van. I know a lot of guys will criticize evs as not suitable for range etc but for a sole trader operating locally (within a 25 mile radius) it works fine. All the specs you can get online if interested but its basically an NV200 diesel van with the engine replace with a Leaf motor and 24kWh battery pack; I get a useable safe range of about 60 miles, fully loaded, but obviously can be charged up with rapid chargers dotted around eg at most motorway service stations.
its lovely to drive, as well as not polluting and chucking out poisonous gas.
The current model has an improved battery pack of 40kWh I believe and I'm sure it wont be long before that goes up again eg the new Leaf has a 60kWh option. Costs around 3p a mile in electricity and often just runs on sunshine (from the pv panels and storage battery), insurance is about the same (I use Gladiator), servicing is a lot cheaper as basically a lot simpler with less moving parts, currently no road tax altho im sure this will change. its 100% tax deductible to buy. Space in van is great with 2 sliding side doors and a split rear door. I have racks fitted at sides.
If I was staying in the trade I would definitely upgrade to a bigger batt pack but would never go back to ICE motors again, however I probably retiring in a year or two so will last me til then when i shall trade it in for a decent electric car. It does help if the second family vehicle is an ICE like ours (ie diesel car), but as things are going in a couple of years with battery tech improving and chargepoints more accessible i dont think it will be an issue.
I have got some pics but have an issue attaching at the moment..

I used to have a vauxhall zafira! but for last 3 years have had a nissan eNV200 electric van. I know a lot of guys will criticize evs as not suitable for range etc but for a sole trader operating locally (within a 25 mile radius) it works fine. All the specs you can get online if interested but its basically an NV200 diesel van with the engine replace with a Leaf motor and 24kWh battery pack; I get a useable safe range of about 60 miles, fully loaded, but obviously can be charged up with rapid chargers dotted around eg at most motorway service stations.
its lovely to drive, as well as not polluting and chucking out poisonous gas.
The current model has an improved battery pack of 40kWh I believe and I'm sure it wont be long before that goes up again eg the new Leaf has a 60kWh option. Costs around 3p a mile in electricity and often just runs on sunshine (from the pv panels and storage battery), insurance is about the same (I use Gladiator), servicing is a lot cheaper as basically a lot simpler with less moving parts, currently no road tax altho im sure this will change. its 100% tax deductible to buy. Space in van is great with 2 sliding side doors and a split rear door. I have racks fitted at sides.
If I was staying in the trade I would definitely upgrade to a bigger batt pack but would never go back to ICE motors again, however I probably retiring in a year or two so will last me til then when i shall trade it in for a decent electric car. It does help if the second family vehicle is an ICE like ours (ie diesel car), but as things are going in a couple of years with battery tech improving and chargepoints more accessible i dont think it will be an issue.
I have got some pics but have an issue attaching at the moment..
I have a tiler on our tile forum that has used one for 3 years already. Loves it. Can't remember what

For the past 10 years I have used just which ever car I have run at the time for my works van until earlier this year when I decided it was time so I bought a second hand Peugeot Boxer and kitted the back out with all my makita kit and toolboxes and cable shelf and odds and ends ! That was four months ago the van is going great but life has taken a drastic turn for me a few weeks back my dad was found dead in his house and mum was found laying on the floor ! Dad has taken a heart attack and because mum has Alzheimer’s she wasn’t aware of anything and was found in a poor state and was rushed to hospital. We waited a week or so before arranging dads funereal just in case we needed to bury mum too ! But happy to say she is pulling through and so I have taken the decision to hang up my tools for a bit and take care of mum ! 34 years in the trade and I vow I will return but hopefully not for a long time not because I didn’t love it but because I love my mum more ! But I will have more time to come here and keep an eye on you lot more so watch out for straight talking and reprimands for those seen cutting corners ?? and the moral of this story if a car will do don’t rush to buy a van !

Dan... should your first line in OP read 2019/2020? Not 2010 ;)

Citroen berlingo... new, but had demo miles on it. £19k 3 years ago. Small, but fine for starting out self employed.
Might go for vw transporter next. And when I retire I can have it converted to a camper van.

Started off with a 59 plate Citreon Dispatch, it did fine.
Now have a Vw Transporter LWB as i use it for camping also. Converted it ourselves into insulated and carpeted sleeper. At some point it will have a leisure battery installed and probably an awning and leave it at that. Makes a good base for anyone wanting to convert it fully using their own design and colours then ?.

VW T5 (very solid...thirsty but worth it),
Previous VW caddy ( drives just like a car, only upgraded due to needing more space)
Previous Saab 90 coupe loadsa space.
Have hired recent transit and transit custom nicer cab layout than my T5 but less solid, Custom was thirstier than the transit.
Next one? probably one without wheels (if there were an option) to cut particulates on the road left from brake dust! or a tricycle with cart for light slow response duties....not sure how my C02 emissions would fare depending on how fast I peddled and what food I ate.
Don't think EV is anyway there yet due to all the kit I carry & mileage for various works...

BTW....What happened to the old EV milk floats with no doors ??:)
[automerge]1568713408[/automerge]
For the past 10 years I have used just which ever car I have run at the time for my works van until earlier this year when I decided it was time so I bought a second hand Peugeot Boxer and kitted the back out with all my makita kit and toolboxes and cable shelf and odds and ends ! That was four months ago the van is going great but life has taken a drastic turn for me a few weeks back my dad was found dead in his house and mum was found laying on the floor ! Dad has taken a heart attack and because mum has Alzheimer’s she wasn’t aware of anything and was found in a poor state and was rushed to hospital. We waited a week or so before arranging dads funereal just in case we needed to bury mum too ! But happy to say she is pulling through and so I have taken the decision to hang up my tools for a bit and take care of mum ! 34 years in the trade and I vow I will return but hopefully not for a long time not because I didn’t love it but because I love my mum more ! But I will have more time to come here and keep an eye on you lot more so watch out for straight talking and reprimands for those seen cutting corners ?? and the moral of this story if a car will do don’t rush to buy a van !
Sorry to hear you are going through a lot right now, BIG respect for looking after your mum, Hope all goes ok.

Last edited:
Vjsmarwick my sympathy’s regarding your Dad and my full respect on your decision to down tools and look after your Mum.

Regarding My Van. I am on my second Citroen Berlingo Enterprise. Perfect small Van for domestic electrician.

when going self employed got a 14 plate peugeot bipper. is small but does the job for house bashing. parking is a nightmare in Bath so being small makes the small narrow streets easy to park and turn etc. can fit fold up ladders and usual house bashing kit in no problem but conduit and wood has to go on the roof rack.
Really have to keep on top of things in the back or it gets messy, in next year or so when the emissions zone comes in to force in Bath I will possibly get a ford transit connect plus loads of after market security or a medium size peugeot.
The bipper does fly though, handles well and cheap to run and insure. only paid £3k for it 2 and half years ago, had to get clutch and brakes done but otherwise is good for now.

Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? B09E2E78-790E-4C5B-AB70-A0758938ACE7 - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? 38F20109-CBF7-47D6-940A-59B2A8DAFF12 - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? B4D7CB80-1102-47CE-BABD-153BF5AB6DA7 - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? A591A5A1-6267-4E31-9E75-088CDAB99FBF - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? B09E2E78-790E-4C5B-AB70-A0758938ACE7 - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? 38F20109-CBF7-47D6-940A-59B2A8DAFF12 - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? B4D7CB80-1102-47CE-BABD-153BF5AB6DA7 - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? A591A5A1-6267-4E31-9E75-088CDAB99FBF - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? B09E2E78-790E-4C5B-AB70-A0758938ACE7 - EletriciansForums.net

Pics of the interior of the back !

This thread has 14 replies, but 22,000+ views - in just over 24 hours.

Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? 1568827073052 - EletriciansForums.net

In fairness, we have the site-wide poll running too. But it still wont count as a view unless somebody clicks the thread title in the poll to end up on the thread.

That's cool. Don't think I've got that many so quickly before!

I used to have a vauxhall zafira! but for last 3 years have had a nissan eNV200 electric van. I know a lot of guys will criticize evs as not suitable for range etc but for a sole trader operating locally (within a 25 mile radius) it works fine.
So much good info in one post (suggest reading the full post above)
I run the diesel version of the NV200. Bought used at high mileage and very complete history. Used mainly in London traffic. Dead easy to park and, critically, fits in most car-parks even with a rack and Rhino Tube. A bit basic - change the radio / Bluetooth for your sanity. Been around for years unchanged so plenty of cheap spares / breakers. Down sides are really just slow and a bit noisy on a motorway. Could do with a hatch under the seat like Berlingos for 2.4 metres of trunking but will carry a six step Youngman step ladder inside due to the shape of the cab.

I fitted slightly larger alloys, ply racking and a half width false floor which works well. Limited space equals don't cart lots of unnecessary crap - tidy it out. Probably go for the EV version if the right deal was available. If you have solar on the house it's an obvious match. Images to follow when I find them.

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock