Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

once had a Subaru Sumo. rear engine, light on front end, any sort of crosswind blew it off the road.
[automerge]1569014957[/automerge]
Unless it's one of the T5s with the oil burn issue... I think it's like 1 litre/1000 miles ??
and a new gearbox every 50,000 miles.

I have had Peugeot Partner vans for a number of years via lease agreements. They were great until they went wrong. Local Peugeot dealer is useless. Gone back to using a car (not Peugeot).

Best Van for Electricians for 2019 / 2020? (Pics Please But Not Essential)

You can vote for 3 - The one you had last, the one you have now, the one you want next.

You don't have to fill all these in. But if you do, copy and paste the questions into a thread of your own. Or quote this first post and just make your own bullet point replies. I'll do one for the plumbers and tilers too. See if we can come up with a formula for best vans somehow, and then I'll write an article for some Van Magazines and Professional Electrician Magazine and whatnot.

View attachment 52246

<---- copy from here ---->​

1. CURRENT ELECTRICIANS VAN - WHICH VAN ARE YOU USING RIGHT NOW AS AN ELECTRICIAN?
    1. How much was it? and Was it new or preloved? :D :D
    2. Where did you buy it from? (give them a plug?)
    3. Insurance, were they good enough to give a plug to? - Feel free to link to them and mention price there about
  2. PREVIOUS ELECTRICIANS VAN - WHICH VAN DID YOU USE LAST AS AN ELECTRICIAN?
    3. Insurance, were they good enough to give a plug to? - Feel free to link to them and mention price there about
  3. NEXT ELECTRICIANS VAN - WHICH VAN WILL YOU NEXT USE AS AN ELECTRICIAN?
<---- copy to here ---->
Then past it inside a post of your own in the reply box, and answer what you can. :)

Let's make this thread a handy thread for those looking for vans. I'll make a poll with popular van makes, whether long or short wheel base, what model is was, what extras it had, whether it had a Dab Radio (Best Dab Radios Thread) and that kinda jazz.

Colours? Did you select a certain colour? - Restore it perhaps if it was an old one? (A tiler sticks a new pre 1960s van through the books, restoration the lot, and uses it as 'marketing budget' and offsets it. Does one every year I think. Loafs of old triumphs and fords and bedfords. He's got a collection now.

Going to make a poll, I'll add some van makes. I wont do the models. There is bloody millions of 'em.

But choose a van make from the list, some pick ups in there too.

And then please reply with the pics of them if you can.

NOTES TO BE AWARE OF WHEN POSTING ANY VAN PICTURES ANYWHERE ON SOCIAL SITES
  • Side on pictures of your van if you can't number plates (Apple App to hide number plates) https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/hidemyplate/id662558691) - (Google Android App to Hide Numberplates)
  • If you keep tools in your van, and have your post code on any google listings, checkatrade, mybuilder, anything of that sort, and your van pictures show up in Google image search, robbers can link the two and find your van. So avoid posting pictures of it anywhere unless it's locked up in storage or tools are not in the van. This goes for all sites not just our forums.
[automerge]1568698254[/automerge]
I found myself in a bit of a tight spot a couple of days before last Xmas. Two days to be exact. Guess I got to appreciate that he let me have a months grace with his van but just after Christmas when being self employed also became a stark reality again I thought I would try lease purchase. Never really nurtured my credit rating and to be fair I wasn’t a stranger to the odd financial knock back. So I pulled up to the pc and happened to stumble upon

Now when your only other option would be ask your dad or her parents for a loan at the age of 42. You think I might have grown out of that.

However the dude who called me up in response to asking for a quote - Neil Dandy managed to put me on the road in my own van within a month. When you’re on your --- financially and wouldn’t be surprised if there were two red flags when they say “Can you spell that again” I was just looking for something I could afford. So my deal is as this.

Van: Brand new Citeron Berlingo in my choice of colour.
Deposit: £0.00
Monthly: £235
Admin and initial payment: £385
Tax: 1 year included
Warranty: 3 years
Mileage: unlimited
Term: 5 years £4,000 final payment
Part ex after 3 years
Insurance: £635 per month includes £2k tool cover

When you do the actual sums you are paying more than you would if you were to do it via a bank loan. But Neil made it hassle free whilst I was busy keeping my nose to the grind stone.

I’m delighted with the service he provided and I got a van which I can confidently afford.

It’s a great little van. The touch screen and ease of how your phone connects is a big plus. Comes with reverse sensors and air con cruise e control as standard. Not all vans do. And I’ll get about 500miles to a £60 tank. Oh and it comes with 3 seats. Not what you’d want every day but it comes in handy especially when you have two kids and the wife is out in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found myself in a bit of a tight spot a couple of days before last Xmas. Two days to be exact. Guess I got to appreciate that he let me have a months grace with his van but just after Christmas when being self employed also became a stark reality again I thought I would try lease purchase. Never really nurtured my credit rating and to be fair I wasn’t a stranger to the odd financial knock back. So I pulled up to the pc and happened to stumble upon

Now when your only other option would be ask your dad or her parents for a loan at the age of 42. You think I might have grown out of that.

However the dude who called me up in response to asking for a quote - Neil Dandy managed to put me on the road in my own van within a month. When you’re on your --- financially and wouldn’t be surprised if there were two red flags when they say “Can you spell that again” I was just looking for something I could afford. So my deal is as this.

Van: Brand new Citeron Berlingo in my choice of colour.
Deposit: £0.00
Monthly: £235
Admin and initial payment: £385
Tax: 1 year included
Warranty: 3 years
Mileage: unlimited
Term: 5 years £4,000 final payment
Part ex after 3 years
Insurance: £635 per month includes £2k tool cover

When you do the actual sums you are paying more than you would if you were to do it via a bank loan. But Neil made it hassle free whilst I was busy keeping my nose to the grind stone.

I’m delighted with the service he provided and I got a van which I can confidently afford.

It’s a great little van. The touch screen and ease of how your phone connects is a big plus. Comes with reverse sensors and air con cruise e control as standard. Not all vans do. And I’ll get about 500miles to a £60 tank. Oh and it comes with 3 seats. Not what you’d want every day but it comes in handy especially when you have two kids and the wife is out in the car.
If you're not something to do with good old neil there I'll eat my hat.

No linking to sales websites please.

Checkout the advertising options here: Advertising with ElectriciansForums.net - What's allowed? - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/advertising-with-electriciansforums-net-whats-allowed.178037/

Maybe the critical factor is not "what van" but "who's van"? By that I mean, my NV200 is privately owned and not everyone's 1st choice. My experience of vehicles is regular garage maintenance and occasional DIY repairs make this age / mileage viable. Possibly a different individual with more work / better work / less time would exchange higher costs of running a new van on lease or finance for turn-key convenience. It's a personal decision, not based entirely on costs.

Can I choose the hat. Only thing I to do with him is that I was a customer.
Prices and everything, it has to be a mate of a mate if not you're neil yourself lol

I'm no fool matey. :D This is my job.

Less of the sales stuff and we'll be alright. :)

(We're actually looking for a van-related sponsor, more contract hire related than what you had, from what I can see)

I prefer pick ups to vans; more comfort, off road ability. The Ranger was my previous one, loved it to start with, but started to deteriorate at 60k miles. Changed to Mercedes for warranty, 3 years unlimited mileage, and their mobilo service. I could possibly do 40 - 50k miles a year, over all sorts of terrain. ( As it happens, I've been working in BT exchanges for 15 months!, no off road at all). Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? P7207372.JPG - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? IMG_20180908_083926 - EletriciansForums.netWhich Van is best for an electrical contractor? IMG_20180908_083926 - EletriciansForums.net

Further to my earlier threads, and my vote that I presently have a Citroen berlingo....
I will be changing my van much much sooner than I thought.

After a situation this morning where my handbrake didn’t get pulled up enough, and I was parked on a slight incline.... the rear of my van met a parked hgv trailer at moderate speed.
Insurance have said uneconomical to repair.... written off, even though it’s drivable, and usable.
And as it’s written off, the insurance cover is now stopped. (As of midnight) so I can’t drive it legally now even thought there’s nowt stopping it. I’ll be reclaiming my road tax tomorrow!

Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? 5324967D-095C-4D7B-9128-D0677A5B1DC6 - EletriciansForums.net

Door and side panel took brunt of damage as you can see. But there is also damage to the roof, where my ladder pushed the roof rack mounts forward.

Apparently, a roof rack is a modification and should have been notified to the insurance company.
I thought modifications meant chipping the engine or whatever it’s called to make them go faster.

A little update on today’s incident.
I’ve taken the van back to the yard to empty it of tools. (Naughty naughty, no insured)
And parked exactly where it was. I deliberately left the handbrake off, and straight away it started to roll backwards.
There is no way I forgot to pull the handbrake on.

Next time I park there, I’ll leave the vehicle in gear, and turn the wheel so it rolls against a bollard.

I have had an Opel Corsa for the last five years, I don't see Opel on the list? If it was on the list that would have been my first choice. I am a vehicle mechanic/electrician and have found it has been nothing but fantastic. I picked Peugeot as a would be second choice as I rarely get called out to them.

Most unreliable Ford. Weakest over long term Fiat in the suspension, engine mount areas.

I have had an Opel Corsa for the last five years, I don't see Opel on the list? If it was on the list that would have been my first choice. I am a vehicle mechanic/electrician and have found it has been nothing but fantastic. I picked Peugeot as a would be second choice as I rarely get called out to them.

Most unreliable Ford. Weakest over long term Fiat in the suspension, engine mount areas.

Opel in the uk is Vauxhall’s. Part of General Motors.
Reminds me of when I owned a Vauxhall nova.. which I think is the same as an Opel Kadet? Apparently Nova translates to “no go” or more “doesn’t work”

So, after writing off a Citroen berlingo 16 plate, I went along to my local used van dealer and bought.... a Citroen berlingo 67 plate!

Silver instead of red... and my towbar, ply lining shelves and roof rack can be directly swapped over.

Spent today ripping out the towbar electrics to refit that myself... and my reversing camera and dash cam. All added by me. Will be checking the tread on the spare tyre tomorrow.

Found £1.70 in change under the seat too! Enough for a coffee..... does anyone still take old round pound coins?

This little funk wrote mine off, only had it six weeks.

Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? E6926569-42A7-4478-A948-A9F2AEC73950 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock