Discuss best voltage tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi everyone,
hope you all had a good xmas the reason for my thread is i am looking to buy a new voltage tester and have been looking about the fluke ones look good t120,t140 also looked at the ones with the combined current test as well cant remember model anyone give us recommendations on a good one and also a good proving unit as i am hoping to go self employed new year any help would be welcome and all the best for new year cheers

Hi Bruce, if you speak to a member on here called Trypod, I believe he deals with a few different meters and may be able to help. I own a fluke T2 and T3 which are quite old now but still work fine, also I recently bought a T5-1000 which is an excellent bit of kit.

cheers for posts,
i wasnt looking at that model is it better because of current measurement are all models gs38 compliant and have you got any ideas about which is best proving unit also checkbox and best place to buy cheers guys all the best for new year

The TESTMATE PU100 Proving unit provides the electrician with a safe method of proving the operation of 2 pole Voltage and Continuity Testers.

The PU100 can also check Drummond and other filament lamps due
to its output being sufficient to illuminate the bulb

Following isolation of equipment or circuits and BEFORE commencing work, the parts to be worked on and those nearby should be proved that they are dead. Proprietary two-pole voltage detectors as recommended in HSE Guidance note GS38 (such as the Testmate ET100 and ET200) should be used for this purpose. The Voltage Detector used should be proved on a known live source or proving unit BEFORE and AFTER use.

The PU100 provides a convenient way of proving the safe operation of any 2 pole Voltage Tester used for Safe Isolation

When the probe tips are applied to the PU100 the proving unit automatically goes into auto-test mode and the output voltage will ramp up from 50V up to 690V and then gradually return back to 50V and finally off – The Voltage output is clearly indicated on the 5 LED indicators on the front of the unit.
This method of testing allows you to check the operation of your Voltage Detector at the various voltage levels and also ensures the battery life of the PU100 is preserved as long as possible.

Works with all Fluke, Martindale, Dilog, Testmate, Drummond etc.2 pole Electrical Testers.

What are you going to check with the checkbox? resistance,rcd's,loop?

hi mate
i have a megger 1552 and will need to check for calibration purposes they say use a known socket my house has all rcd protected circuits so wouldnt be able to check non rcd i am not sure of best way to check they say use a unprotected socket mine all protected

http://www.pat-services.co.uk/cheap checkbox
best voltage tester {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Click image to enlarge​

Calibration Checkbox

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION FOR CALIBRATION CHECKBOX
How does it work?
Simply plug your meter (digital or analogue) into the Calibration Checkbox to test for continuity (0.5 - 10 ohms) and insulation (0.5 – 50 Mohms). You can test for RCD and earth loop impedance back in your office on a known socket – leaving the Calibration Checkbox as an essential on site tool for all electricians.
The requirements as laid out in the NICEIC handbook makes it self-evident that electricians need only do two tests on site (insulation and continuity) in order to meet the Part P regulations; the other earth fault loop impedance and RCD tests were allowed to be done in their office using a known socket!
This means that the calibration checkbox complies with the requirements to regularly check the accuracy of your instruments at regular intervals.
The Calibration Checkbox has been made with safety in mind and carries CE marking according to The Safety Requirements for Electrical Equipment for Measurement, Control and Laboratory Use EN 61010-1:2001 and Low Voltage Directive 73/23/EEC and amendment 93/68/EEC.
Can be used for all types of electricians test equipment.
Unlike other checkboxes this unit is manufactured with high spec resistors that will not be damaged by a 1000v insulation test.
Meet the Part P regulations in the most cost effective way on the market
12 month warranty
Truly portable device always at hand
Saves time and money
Unique patent pending system

I have one of those too.

Does the job for monthly calibration.:)

I also have a dedicated socket in the garage for live testing purposes.

cheers trypod and lenny,
you know when you say do the rcd tests and zs on a known socket does it have to be a socket thats not rcd protected as all my house rcd protected also i am not self employed yet and i ill only be looking to do domestic at forst so do i really need the 1000v model do the t120/140 models only check voltage and continuity and the t5-690/1000 models test this and also current i just want to make sure am buying today

Last edited:
Cal card from Elecsa

http://www.elecsa.co.uk/publicshop/ProductDetail.aspx?PID={19C1A3C8-AF99-40F2-AD7C-9C69004CA471}

Beware of the P&P. Think if you phone their shop and don't order online they only charge you a couple of quid for P & P not £7.

Fluke T5-1000

I have the Fluke T5-600

I don't work on anything above 415v so I cvan't see the point of buying the version that have a 1000v range.
am I missing something?

Richard

the difference is a max of 600v or 1000v for the sake of £5 i'd take the t5-1000

sorry I didn't see the second page on this thread.
when I bouight my T5-600 the t5-1000 was out of nstock so I didn't know the price difference was so smnall

Last edited:
cheers to all and happy new year
big thanks especially to patricklondon, lenny,trypod and dufjax. i decided to go with the option of t5-1000, as you all recommended got the holder and the volt stick all for £108.10 inc vat.i will get a proving unit when i get going proper.what i need to ask now is how do i check calibration of my megger mft1552 my house is all rcd and they say use a known socket if my house all rcd protected how do i do this the checkbox suggested by trypod only does resistance and insulation how would i check the rcd test and earth fault loop impedence as i would only be able to set to rcd present so hence wouldnt check the non rcd any help grateful once again cheers to everyone who has put posts up

For Loop Impendance test, locate a socket either in your home/workshop/office that has been checked and tested with a known correct value. Use this socket as your MASTER SOCKET and test your instrument with this socket and record value.

For RCD tests locate a socket either in your home/workshop/office that has been checked and tested with a known correct value and ensuring that the circuit is protected by an RCD at the consumer unit or a plug in unit . Use this as your MASTER SOCKET and test your instrument with this socket and record value. x1/2,x1, x5

cheers trypod i only just seen this post ive sent a pm to you with email address does it have to be a socket not rcd protected or does that not matter cheers mate for your help

Last edited:

Reply to best voltage tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock