Discuss Best Way to Add a Light in the Loft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

am549

-
Reaction score
I've got a new build property and it looks like the electrician has left some wiring in the loft ready for a plug socket to be installed (2.5mm twin and earth cable). I'm assuming it's for a plug socket due to the cable size and that it's not wired into any of the lighting circuits (checked by switching off all the lighting circuits and the cable was still live according to my voltage pen).
What would be the best way to wire in a light? I've got some 1.0mm twin and earth cable which I'd like to use so my thought was this:
Install double socket off the current cable
Use the 1.0mm twin and earth to wire a pendant into a 3 pin plug with a 5amp fuse installed and plug it into the above.

Based on the above, would I be able to wire the plug into a junction box in order to feed 2 pendants? Thanks

Are you saying the 2.5mm cable is live but not wired to anything?

Firstly, standard 13Amp plug tops are not designed to accept twin and earth cable of the type you are describing.
The cable you describe as 2.5 mm2 cable, have you any idea where it is fed from?
Where are you in the East midlands? if it's not to far from me I may be able to offer some practical help.

There isn't one, just that cable

Are the cables for the lights in the rooms below the loft not in the loft? Where is this wiring? or am I missing something....

Are the cables for the lights in the rooms below the loft not in the loft? Where is this wiring? or am I missing something....

They are but covered by the loft insulation and I didn't fancy taking it all up and taking a spur off it.

This spare wire is attached to a roof truss. (see attached photo).
FVr6F3o0rZGYehIc2

I've got no idea exactly where this random live cable is fed from, only that it appears to be wired into the upstairs sockets.

20171128_120223.jpg

They are but covered by the loft insulation and I didn't fancy taking it all up and taking a spur off it.

This spare wire is attached to a roof truss. (see attached photo).
FVr6F3o0rZGYehIc2

I've got no idea exactly where this random live cable is fed from, only that it appears to be wired into the upstairs sockets.

View attachment 39490
Can't see the photo

OP: Why do you want to use twin and earth cable? As @Pete999 says, its not suitable for your idea.
I had it leftover from some work I had done before and thought I could use it. What could I use instead?

IF the errant cable is a spur from the upstairs RFC then fit a FCU and wire your loft light from that, simples.
Sorry I should have made it clearer, the reason for wanting the plug socket was so that I could have somewhere to plug in in the loft at a later date.

Sorry I should have made it clearer, the reason for wanting the plug socket was so that I could have somewhere to plug in in the loft at a later date

If you are going to use the cable to add a 2 way socket outlet onto it, then you really need to find out where the cable is fed from. If its wired into an upstairs socket then find out which one and see how its wired up.

A volt pen can show a dead cable to be live if it is in close proximity to cables which are live!

A volt pen can show a dead cable to be live if it is in close proximity to cables which are live!

I had switched the lighting circuits off at the mains before checking that cable and it was still live. Unless there is other socket wiring in the ceiling then I'd like to think it's accurate.

If you are going to use the cable to add a 2 way socket outlet onto it, then you really need to find out where the cable is fed from. If its wired into an upstairs socket then find out which one and see how its wired up.

It looks like it's coming off one of the upstairs sockets judging by the direction of the cable but I've got no easy way of finding out as the insulation is in the way in the loft and the closest socket has got those stupid screw covers on so I can't easily get it off to check without destroying those (unless there's a nack to getting them out).

I've emailed the developer and hope they can provide me with the information.

Reply to Best Way to Add a Light in the Loft in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net