Discuss best way to feed a block of flats in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jonboy1

I have a block of flats, 9 floors, with 2 x supplies feeding the north and south side of the building separately. The supplies are 3 phase 500 amp head units. Each floor has a riser running through where the existing VIR cabling is run through conduit to ancient fuseboards. We are replacing the old fuseboards with new and looking at up-grading the cabling supplying new fuseboards on each riser for each floor. Each floor has 8 flats per side (14 per floor) which we will be running 3 core 25mm SWA to each flats meter and terminating.

The question is what is the best way to supply the riser cupboards fuseboards. I was thinking that we could run SWA from the basement supplies and taking the phase to every third floor. Problem is that there will need to be 2 x SWA terminations in each middle fuseboard.

Is there a better way of getting the fuseboards supplied, perhaps using busbar and if so any recommendations.

dont they normally use busbars with tap off boxes?not 100 per cent but one of the respected members should have the answer.lol

I have a block of flats, 9 floors, with 2 x supplies feeding the north and south side of the building separately. The supplies are 3 phase 500 amp head units. Each floor has a riser running through where the existing VIR cabling is run through conduit to ancient fuseboards. We are replacing the old fuseboards with new and looking at up-grading the cabling supplying new fuseboards on each riser for each floor. Each floor has 8 flats per side (14 per floor) which we will be running 3 core 25mm SWA to each flats meter and terminating.
quote]

If I read you right you have two three phase supplies each feeding nine floors and eight flats per floor. You could run busbar but what is the installation like for getting in and fixing it. A lot depends on what you actually have at the switch room at the ground floor on what you can do on the rise. also what space you have available for fitting an alternative rise.

If you can get busbar in it will make life easier with tap off boxes etc.

Busbar trunking, can't fault it. To keep prices down I would use stand alone busbar, make joints where needed
Pre designed tap off boxes are a rip off...make your own

Last edited by a moderator:
i would do the whole job in armoured,feeding a dis board on each floor and each flat as a sub circuit,i think it would be quicker and easier than a rising main busbar,and probably cheaper as well,if you can find a suyppler with off cuts
all the best

Reply to best way to feed a block of flats in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock