Discuss Best way to get Experience in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sent a lot of emails to the wholesalers, I will also go down on Monday to a few. A few people have asked me about wages, but rather than me giving them a figure I have said that I will let them decided. The minimum wage would be okay, as I would rather have the experience.
I would post your details, with the relevant permissions in as many wholesalers as you can locally, including both Screwfix and Electrifix, I worked in Electrifix for a while and was surprised as to how many Sparks where asking about labour, once they new I was a retired Sparks, they can only say No.

Don't work for minimum wage, you'll drag everyones wages down. Surely the idea of all this training you've done and spent alot of time and money on is to earn a decent living wage no matter where you are on the ladder.

I would post your details, with the relevant permissions in as many wholesalers as you can locally, including both Screwfix and Electrifix, I worked in Electrifix for a while and was surprised as to how many Sparks where asking about labour, once they new I was a retired Sparks, they can only say No.

I’ve done that I went down to a number of them today and handed my CV in.

Don't work for minimum wage, you'll drag everyones wages down. Surely the idea of all this training you've done and spent alot of time and money on is to earn a decent living wage no matter where you are on the ladder.

It is yeah. I agree no one should work for min wage. But if it means being taken on for a while such as a year or more then it would be worth it. But I see where your coming from. I’ve always been told to value your worth. But as I don’t have any site experience. I then don’t feel I could ask for JIB rates which are £11 a£13 an hour with no experience.

haha yes you do.

All well and good when you lie oh I’ve got 2 years experience, so what have you done? This and that. You would have to be amazing to blag someone whose experienced. What are you going to tell him that would actually sound feasible? I would rather be honest.

So as many of you know I have been looking for work as a Mate/Labourer for around 5 months now, but no one will take me on due to not having enough experience. It really is a Catch 22 situation. So I have tried, phoning companies, emailing CVs, applying for Electricians Mates jobs on the job sites, going to the Wholesalers and giving each of them a CV and Cover Letter but I have heard nothing. Some get in touch, but then it just seems to fall flat. I am just running out of options really as its a long time to be out of work. Any suggestions on how to get experience would be great.
get ECS
All well and good when you lie oh I’ve got 2 years experience, so what have you done? This and that. You would have to be amazing to blag someone whose experienced. What are you going to tell him that would actually sound feasible? I would rather be honest.
Have you got 2365 city and guilds or anything mate? I was in the same
Situation as you I just kept trying and had to twist the truth to get my foot in the door and I’m still learning everyday, if you get a a decent guy they will also look at how punctual and how you conduct urself it’s not all about experience I’ve learned that.

Good luck

haha yes you do.

get ECS

Have you got 2365 city and guilds or anything mate? I was in the same
Situation as you I just kept trying and had to twist the truth to get my foot in the door and I’m still learning everyday, if you get a a decent guy they will also look at how punctual and how you conduct urself it’s not all about experience I’ve learned that.

Good luck

I have my L2 2365, currently, I am doing L3 2365, then I am looking to do my NVQ, but then I need a job to do the NVQ. I have been trying for 5 months and I am getting rather fed up of either false promises or people not getting back to me, including the agencies that advertise the jobs.

I would rather work with a one-man band, someone who is old school and has worked, rather than attend a site and they could not care less. I am hoping something comes up soon as I am getting a little fed up now.

try indeed.register for electrician's mate jobs in your area. you will then get email alerts so can try whatever you think is within your comfort zone.

try indeed.register for electrician's mate jobs in your area. you will then get email alerts so can try whatever you think is within your comfort zone.

I have done that, applied for roles that are even 50-75 miles away, just to see if I can get anything. It's hard when you don't have experience, but I have tried Electrical companies in Liverpool, Wholesalers, Job Boards, Registered with Agencies, LinkedIn, and Social Media. Nothing after 5 months.

Reply to Best way to get Experience in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock