Discuss Best way to redirect a cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Gorgeous people.
Hope you are all well and surviving!

Just curious to others views on redircting an oven cable which has to move (so it will not be over the hob) but with no access to the above floor where it comes down from (which is a tiled bathroom).
Ideally the new switch wants to go on the left hand side near to the window wall. The question is, How would you do it trying to keep to zones, not hiding an extending connection in the wall etc?
Worth a note: on the other side of the wall is a utility room.

The only viable option I see is to lay a new cable under the floor and up. Which is a bigger job and may be problematic as the kitchen is an extension with only inches below it (not sure there's a straight way through).

Anyone done similar recently with good results?

Best way to redirect a cable InkedIMG_20200818_174715_LI - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Best way to redirect a cable IMG_20200818_174715 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200818_174715.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1
Do connection plates hidden behind appliances form zones?

Don't want to go off topic, but it's a question I've wondered about before. Common sense says no as they're hidden, but I don't know the answer to this.

Dig out the cable and pull it back to the ceiling through a hole, depending on which way the joist run cut holes (or not) to get through to the pipe box next to the window.
Either M-F inside the pipe box or in the ceiling if too short or box with blank fitted into the side, then down to the position.
Unless anything else is going there the switch might as well be in the side of the pipe box.

Best way to redirect a cable Cooker switch.PNG - EletriciansForums.net

As above cut a small hole in the ceiling , pull cable up.
if it was originally installed left to right as we look at the photo then just redirect it.
if it comes from the right then you will need to join it to a new bit of cabor via a MF free junction box

Do connection plates hidden behind appliances form zones?

Don't want to go off topic, but it's a question I've wondered about before. Common sense says no as they're hidden, but I don't know the answer to this.
I would so no. certainly if they can not be seen as the purpose of a zone is so you know where a cable might be at. If you don't know where the zone is then it's, well, not a zone...

Throw a blanking plate on the existing point (to give you the zone start) chase horizontal from the plate into corner, chase up corner zone (if you're feeding from the corner) or up the vertical zone formed by that blanking plate then place your socket in its new position along the horizontal zone from the plate and wire in 6243YH.

522.6.x is the general area that should be able to clarify this.

I'm sure that sounds right?

Throw a blanking plate on the existing point (to give you the zone start) chase horizontal from the plate into corner, chase up corner zone (if you're feeding from the corner) or up the vertical zone formed by that blanking plate then place your socket in its new position along the horizontal zone from the plate and wire in 6243YH.

522.6.x is the general area that should be able to clarify this.

I'm sure that sounds right?

Technically correct, but in reality you would avoid doing it like that.
The majority of people know that cables run vertically above or below accessories, the other zones are generally known only to electricians, so it's best to stick to vertical above/below accessories as far as possible.

Also a random blank plate in the kitchen wall will rarely go down well with the customer.

Reply to Best way to redirect a cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock