Discuss Best way to to move light switch to other side of wall when dealing with metal boxes (commercial construction)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My first post and thank you for reading.

I live in a commercial building that was converted to residential. I have a walk in closet where the light switch was installed inside the closet. I am adding shelving and want to move the switch so that it is on the other side of the wall to make space. This means I will turn on the closet lights from outside the closet (makes more sense to me).

I'm also swapping the door frame out so you can see the electrical box through the metal stud.

What's the recommended way to move this light switch? I can think of two ways. One, install an old work metal box on the opposite wall and just run some very short electrical cable to the existing box. (vis a vis code I know it's supposed to be MC but with such a short distance, maybe 1", I wonder if regular romex would do?). Two, this would be more work but I could cut out a large hole on the other side of the wall and replace the existing metal box and mud ring (new work box) and screw into the stud (pictured).

Any recommendations on which approach is best? Or if there's some better alternative I'm not thinking of?

Figure 1: existing light switch inside closet
20210508_165842.jpg

Figure 2 - existing box (view from door frame). Currently points into closet (to the right) want to switch to the left so light switch is next to the door.
20210509_083901.jpg

Figure 3 - box with mud rings and lots of wires inside.

20210509_085417.jpg

Reply to Best way to to move light switch to other side of wall when dealing with metal boxes (commercial construction)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have a rocker type light switch the sticks out bit too far and interferes with a drawer, as in the picture. The switch seems properly installed...
Replies
Views
I'll start by saying - I have absolutely no intention of doing any wiring or anything electrical myself. You get someone professional to do a...
Replies
Views
Howdy DIY soldiers, first post here. My question comes down to whether it would be particularly unsafe for me to temporarily wire nut and tape a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm planning to remove a stud wall seperating my dining room and kitchen. On the dining room side of the stud wall, there is a double...
Replies
Views
On either side of my front door is a motion sensor wall light - it looks like both lights operate from one light switch inside the house. The...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock