Discuss Best ways to monitor solar pv system and heat water? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

compmad1

I'm uncertain regarding the relative advantages and disadvantages of two systems:

1. Elios4you to monitor the system and the linked Power Reducer to heat the hot water.

I have not been quoted a price for this system. Can anyone advise?

2. A Geo Solo PV Monitor and an Immersun Unit.

I have been quoted £150 for the monitor and £500 for the Immersun.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Meant to say that I have read on Amazon that the Geo Solo PV Monitor and Immersun Unit are incompatible. Someone said that they needed a refund in the end as the problem could not be resolved by the manufacturers.

Also I'm confused by the difference between a The Chorus PV display and a geo Solo PV Monitor . The first one seems more expensive, and have read a price on their website of £230. The second one is what I have been quoted for. Do these products do the same thing? I need to be able to see what my roof is generating, and what power I am drawing from the grid.

Thanks again for any advise.

We have a bias, naturally, towards the Elios4You platform but our decision to represent Greenologic/4-Noks was one taken after months of deliberation and due diligence. The RRP for the Elios4You + Power Reducer, accordingly to Greenologic, is £630. However, this is not the trade price we offer for the kit. If you want to have a look at some of the manufacturer's documents, as well as some potential useful comparison/technological info then you can find some here. I understand if this post is removed by the mods though, of course.

we've installed most options, and the elios unit seems to be head and shoulders above the rest if you like gadgets. Possibly a little complex for those not too technically literate - ie I'd never install one for my gran who refuses point blank even to consider learning to use email.

we've installed most options, and the elios unit seems to be head and shoulders above the rest if you like gadgets. Possibly a little complex for those not too technically literate - ie I'd never install one for my gran who refuses point blank even to consider learning to use email.

I love gadgets, so it would suit me down to the ground. Thanks.

Ive heard of problems with the Immersun unit but never actually had a problem on any of our installs. We now favour the Solar iBoost as it's wireless connection means less disruption on the install. We combine this with a Solo II with bridge to a router so you have true online monitoring and record keeping anywhere. We have used Wattson's with Optimmersion in the past and these work well too. Horses for courses I suppose!

The new Immersun offering should overcome the issues mentioned. It also has a wireless option if required. As it no longer uses burst fire, it should be compatible with other devices.

There is a price increase over the old unit.

Is the new Immersun available yet? What technology are they now using, if they are moving away from burst-fire? What are they planning to do (if anything) about their burst-fire units already installed? Will it be independently CE tested/marked? Will it be EMC compliant for domestic and industrial norms? Independently lab tested, or in-house?

You seem to be thinking they are replacing Immersun 1 with the new model. Its on top of the old unit.

When i spoke to them the mark I will be an economical unit to compete against the cheaper ones out there and the new one will have extra facilities, such as wireless options.

At least that is what they told me a few months ago, maybe things have changed since then

Andy
Just wanted to say thanks for the information and the prompt response to my PM and subsequent emails.
John

You seem to be thinking they are replacing Immersun 1 with the new model. Its on top of the old unit.

When i spoke to them the mark I will be an economical unit to compete against the cheaper ones out there and the new one will have extra facilities, such as wireless options.

At least that is what they told me a few months ago, maybe things have changed since then
so they want to continue to flog a non compliant model, which if you read G83/2 arguably breaches those conditions if it's viewed as part of the solar installation, never mind it just being against the flicker regulations anyway.

I was quite interested in the new model, but tbh I've got problems dealing with a company who're this cavalier when it comes to compliance with basic regulations such as this one that are in place for very good reasons - ie to protect epilepsy and migraine sufferers from the impact of rapidly flickering lights, as well as the potential impact on other electrical kit.

If you are keeping cost down the geo chorus pv 2 is the best one. The chorus pv 2 tells you if you exporting or importing from the grid the cheaper model doesn't show export amount.

So far I have tried the fronus data web logger2 solar-log 200 wifi and the geo chorus pv 2. Only the Geo chorus 2 and and Elios4you gives import and export to and from the grid and the geo chrous pv 2 the cheapest, The geo can be installed without any tools plus you don't need to switch off the mains power. If you are the homeowner and unsure contact a electrician first

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get on with the solarlog Puddy?

Its was very expensive at the time

Until I got a android app its report were very poor and boring,

The android app gave me real time data online desktop and my android mobile phone.

The solar-log would stop showing up on our router for days. I sent it back and had serviced but have not connected back up. I will put it up on ebay.

Thanks, how long ago was this? I'm curious as we are considering representing them.

Btw, the Elios4You monitoring platform can also be retrofitted in a non-invasive manner, if the dedicated IP65 enclosure is purchased at the same time. However, we would always recommend professional installation advice to avoid errors with the install/set-up. The additional Power Reducer that allows use of excess energy to heat the immersion tank is the only fully independently lab-tested and EMC compliant device on the market (for industrial and domestic norms). The manufacturer has set the bar for others to try to achieve - hence why we are now seeing a rash of other devices going through "re-design" to (unsurprisingly) switch over to a different method of proportional power control methodology....what they are doing about existing installed units I have no idea

Reckon I had a little to do with that too mind, as it was me who first had to point this issue and their non compliance out to the other big player at the time as they literally had no idea about this regulation.

That's the point they started attempting to fix the problem, eventually resulting in the full redesign. I've no idea why they are apprently intending to continue to sell the non-compliant unit.

Thanks, how long ago was this? I'm curious as we are considering representing

The solar-log only been back a month. I had to send a broad to their HQ . The company who sold the device promised to fit the device due to my disability. They took payment but failed fit it.

To be honest you better sticking with elios4you

Things have moved on but solor-log tech stayed still. One example I put a Peterborough postcode its show up on their map in Wales.

Reply to Best ways to monitor solar pv system and heat water? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock