Discuss Better way of doing this....? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Working on a bathroom refurb at the mo....

Just decided they're having a new tank in the airing cupboard which needs supplies for 2 x immersions (3kW)

Nightmare job running new cables back to CU, basement flat concrete floors /ceilings etc. Opposite side of building.

But I can re-use the old 6mm shower feed. Was thinking could use this as a submain, supplying 2x16a mcbs in an enclosure in the airing cupboard, these then going out into a couple of 20a DP switches and on to each immersion.

Anything wrong with that/ better way, my only query really is the enclosure with the 2x mcbs in it, would this require its own local DP switch?

Cheers Sy

Why don't you use a little 2 way board, it'll have it's own main switch then..

It's just so tight on space thats all, will be lucky to get the enclosure in where it will be readily accessible. Every inch counts on this one!

If it is a requirement that I have main switch then I have no option but to find some way of fitting a small 2way CU in.

:smiley2:

Thats what I did with a similar dilemma, small RCD garage unit with a spur coming off a 16A breaker for each spur. Marlanvil (i think) and Wylex do fairly small ones :)

Run the 6mm shower supply through a 45a switch then split to 2 mcb in a enclosure, this way the individual flexes have overload protection, the imm' heater can be isolated at one point locally and 40amp mcb covers cable if calcs suit the situe', mcb discrimination will only be partial but its rare you can acheive it in domestic anyway so ok.

This dosn't show auto or timer controls but gives you the jist' as a manual operation.

If the 2 elements are in the same tank won't they b 24hr an e7 if so couldnt u take 6mm in to a time clock then the two flexes to the elements and down rate the 6mm at the board to 16amp??

If the 2 elements are in the same tank won't they b 24hr an e7 if so couldnt u take 6mm in to a time clock then the two flexes to the elements and down rate the 6mm at the board to 16amp??

Good point come to think of it that may actually be the case, I'm back there next week so will check it out..... never seen a dual immersion set up with eco 7 before, but theres always a first.

If thats the case, problem solved and I will probably need something like this :

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/horstmann-economy-quartz-timer-p-54.html

Last edited:
Nonsense. A 13 amp fuse doesn't pop on anything near 13amps....surely you guys realise this?
Just unnessecary work putting a CU in for a pair of immersions.

Seen it done 1000's of times.

3000/240 = 12.5

one calculation is by the book, one is a reality.

Good grief! Nothing like over engineering a job! IF you DON'T have e7 to contend with, take the 6mm into a double pattress and out to 2 x 3kw FSU (suggest Click would be good for that) and feed it from a 32a MCB off the CU.

Nonsense. A 13 amp fuse doesn't pop on anything near 13amps....surely you guys realise this?
Just unnessecary work putting a CU in for a pair of immersions.

Although its rated 13amps what you will find over your career as a sparky is if it is fully loaded for long durations it will tend to fail on the internal contacts, most manufacturers of spurs and sockets alike will recommend that a full rated load only be done for short periods, i lost count of 3kw ovens on a plug top etc that has burnt out the socket. Immersion heaters by their nature may be on for hours at a time and more when demand high, so a fcu is a bad call in this case.

Good point come to think of it that may actually be the case, I'm back there next week so will check it out..... never seen a dual immersion set up with eco 7 before, but theres always a first.

If thats the case, problem solved and I will probably need something like this :

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/horstmann-economy-quartz-timer-p-54.html

I've seen quite a few normally the top element is the boost one as it only heats water at the top and the bottom element is a the economy7, these ate usually used when the tank is just for hot water when they don't have gas.

P.s that is the timer you want and if u live near the midlands I've got a few spare from when I was subbing can sort u one out cheep if needed

If it was for E7 then there would have to be 2 supplys, one from the peak board and one from the off peak board

If its E7 you can do it from 1 supply but you will need an E7 controller to boost the top element. But if theyre on superdeal you will need 2 circuits, unless you put a BX2000 at the mains and just control the bottom heater.

Reply to Better way of doing this....? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock