Discuss Beware of ebay in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah but he asks for cash on collection so the joke may well and truly be on him should somebody fall for it and not be happy when they collect!

Saw this thing happening a few years ago with wii consoles (just the box for sale) always catches some out when they see it at last minute and do not read the full description before bidding. The thing is in reality although it is wrong the sellers are legally doing nothing wrong they are putting what they are selling. :33:

There was something similar on Judge Judy on TV some weeks ago. An ebay seller put a photo of a mobile phone for sale. They weren't selling the phone - they were selling the photo of the phone.

Judge Judy was not impressed and found against the seller on the basis that the description included the weight of the phone - not the weight of the photo.

Here the description said something like 'can connect to UK grid' - I don't know how you connect a cardboard box to the grid.

Actually there isnt much wrong with the listing as he is just using Ebay to advertise the fact he has an inverter for sale.
The description asks for messages to a mobile number(offers) and if anyone bids its the box they win.....not the inverter.
He clearly states this twice btw.

The guy from his feedback has been on Ebay for 6years and has a 100% +ve record from over 600 sales/purchases.
I would certainly have no hesitation in at least talking to the guy if I needed the kit.

Last edited:
Actually there isnt much wrong with the listing as he is just using Ebay to advertise the fact he has an inverter for sale.
The description asks for messages to a mobile number(offers) and if anyone bids its the box they win.....not the inverter.
He clearly states this twice btw.

The guy from his feedback has been on Ebay for 6years and has a 100% +ve record from over 600 sales/purchases.
I would certainly have no hesitation in at least talking to the guy if I needed the kit.

A sure fire way to avoid Ebay fees

yes, he;s advertising what he has but want to sell it off ebay, although that is a breach of their rules.

Fair enough but he doesnt explicitly state that -he has just worded his auction accordingly.

As to avoiding Ebay fees well as they take 14% off the top(if paypal is used) then good luck to him if he has found a loophole.
Nobody is forcing anyone to contact him or to buy from him.
Ebay is full of items (including PV etc) where the seller is just advertising contact details and the actual item for auction is nominal.

Its certainly a low cost way of advertising and getting tremendous coverage...Ebay doesnt seem to mind
BTW the auction is still running and as such must comply with the rules.....

They only remove a listing if it is reported to them and the reported reason is legit.
I run an ebay shop and it's mind boggling irritating because some of the reasons are really obscure.
I was had a range of hats listed, modelled by my mate Des. In the ad I said, the Des is not for sale, but I'm open to offers. They removed the ad because they said I was offering to sell Des off site!!
It's a problem if someone (a competitor for example) targets your shop, so if I have to follow the rules I tend to feel others should as well, otherwise it's not a level playing field.

GOD Sake the guy is asking for bidding on the BOX but he IS Selling the inverter off Ebay the BOX just gives him chance to advertise and list it without the big fees

Reply to Beware of ebay in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net