Discuss BG Connection Concerns. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi there folks,
Daughter asked me to fit new BG light switches. The new type have changed their connections similar to LAP type.
Now you HAVE to double over connections to ensure good connections otherwise if using several wires in connection some can pull out. The connection is bigger than screw which is also sharp and wires jam at the side of screw, rated this as poor and dont want to use them until changed. How has anyone else found them ?.

Looks like you're going to be doubling the ends over and/or struggling to get a sound connection then.

You can get brushed steel in many other brands too. I tend to use Click, Schneider Ultimate or MK if the customer insists.

I unpacked a customer supplied chrome screwless flatplate light switch from the colours range of B+Q (I know, right? ) and that was made by BG so obviously they are dumbing down to supply to the DIY sector - buy once, buy right, buy quality - unless the client buys it then fit tat!

My local wholesaler (kew electrical) is getting me Hager decorative accessories in at a good price. Even the standard white hager stuff from kew is affordable on a average domestic job now.
Its schneider or hager for me.

Does anyone still Logic Plus these days

It was used pretty much on every new build I worked on ten years ago

For what it is worth, I have had similar issues with BG light switches which has made them a fiddle (recently replaced a BG switch with a 25 year old Mk one and it was much easier!) - however I'm yet to fault their sockets for price/quality. Hager or the Click stuff seems to be where it's at at present however!

Sometimes,you have to adapt,to suit poor design.
A single conductor,doubled over,seems easy enough,which means two singles should suit the same,three singles lock with a screw ok.

Just a bit of technique required...like stripping and trimming multi-strand,after applying bends,so it is even and neat :)

Worth knowing but one of the own brand ranges in denmans, rexel etc is made using same mouldings as the click range, good if you need replacements, havent compared the gubbins on back though for termination.

Had problems getting proper termination into a dp sfcu last week...customer supplied big orange shed unit, single earth terminal with screw missing, flimsy terminals scattered oddly on backplate and labelled poorly. Rummaged in the big box of odds and ends and found another one, by Volex...great big terminals with meaty screws, 2 earths, and supply in at top, load out at bottom...absolute doddle to fit, and a throwback to when such items were properly made, imho.

Reply to BG Connection Concerns. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock