Discuss BG consumer unit weird neutrals in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
This has happened twice, during a board change all circuits connected, first switch on, I have a idiosyncratic procedure for this, all off then mainswitch on,first RCD on,push test button then back on test RCD, breakers on repeat for second RCD, twice now I have had nothing on rcd button or test, first time it happened i assumed the usual N connection /misconnection checked,rechecked , scratched head,made tea, disconnected all the N,s in and out the rcd,s reconnected and everything was working, 2nd time last week did not mess around undid and redid the N,s and sorted now I have to say I like the BG board and on both occasions the cables were in place and tight so what the issue is i have no idea
P

Last edited:
only times i've had that sort of fault was N-E fault, sometimes a shared N on landing light. that's assuming that each N was in it's correct N bar.

BG are crap, we fit them on the persimmon sites, we used to fit hager all the time but persimmon managed to get the BG MCB 10Pence cheaper so moved over to them! Now it takes us longer to fit, the grommet strip is useless, countless stripped threads on MCBs and RCDs and on occasion the neutrals have pulled out of the reducing pin crimps. Fitting the qty we fit you really get to see the quality and failure rate. No failures of hager if i remember correctly!

I would second using Hager as reliable brand.

I have used BG a handful of times and encountered stripped MCB terminals and failing RCDs out of the box same as mentioned above. I have heard of lots of other reports of the same issues over a number of years, but never of a recall for these issues. I must therefore assume that BG do not care about the quality control of their switchgear.
The enclosures are pretty good though.

I know they have their fans but I would never fit them.

you by a pretty penny for the
hager even for the mcb's'
If you shop around you can get the Hager stuff for a reasonable price, the price can vary hugely between suppliers, i pay £2.02 ex vat for a hager mcb and the same mcb in some suppliers is £15!! i use discount-electrical.co.uk for them, they arent too bad for the hager rcbos at £27ish quid too. the same rcbos can cost £50 or more in some suppliers...

Remember the likes of persimmon have huge buying power buying thousands a year and fitting them all over the country so there may be more than 10Pence between hager and BG to us but to them maybe. The accessories are Deta, don't get me started about them, but as good as any once fitted.

I didn't mind the pre A3 CED boards. They were reasonable for a budget board. A few failed MCB's/RCBO's but acceptable.

The current metal boards are absolute crap though. Takes ages to get everything just 'so' and you still struggle to get the cover on.

only times i've had that sort of fault was N-E fault, sometimes a shared N on landing light. that's assuming that each N was in it's correct N bar.

Take it OP, you've tested before switching on, tin hat on?

Last edited:
I didn't mind the pre A3 CED boards. They were reasonable for a budget board. A few failed MCB's/RCBO's but acceptable.

The current metal boards are absolute crap though. Takes ages to get everything just 'so' and you still struggle to get the cover on.
Whenever possible i always buy a board with a extra few unused ways just to give you the extra room to tidy the cables that bit better. sometimes though it cant be helped and you feel like you need a pneumatic press to get the cover on!

Anybody ever found two lolly sticks,top right,bottom left,holding the modules square?

Or...a carp bite alarm sticky stringed,to the RCD?

You lot need a lower class of customer ;)

Reply to BG consumer unit weird neutrals in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock