Discuss BG Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Tomorrow I'll be working on a board which my boss needs a 50 amp RCBO for. Is a BG unit and he can't find one or at least we can't get one for tomorrow.

Are there any other breakers that will fit a BG board?

Apologies for the lack of information, I'm not sure on the details as of yet I just wanted to help my boss out if possible.

I hope you can help. Thanks

Hi,

Tomorrow I'll be working on a board which my boss needs a 50 amp RCBO for. Is a BG unit and he can't find one or at least we can't get one for tomorrow.

Are there any other breakers that will fit a BG board?

Apologies for the lack of information, I'm not sure on the details as of yet I just wanted to help my boss out if possible.

I hope you can help. Thanks
what's the deign current based on the rating of the appliance? is it a shower?

Contactum look identical to BG, if I recall correctly the plastic boards where the same as well. It would fit perfectly. Whether it should be fitted is a different question.

I thought I read in another thread that you are not allowed to mix manufacturers breakers/RCBO's in consumer units, unless the consumer unit manufacturer says it's ok??

the contactum and BG are identical. bung one in, even if only temp.

BEAMA have guidance reports on this. Its to do with manufacturers not testing other manufacturers parts with their own. If you mix manufacturers parts you then become the designer and responsible for the CU, or something like that!

Hmm I'd noticed bg and contactum look identical only last week, mixing different manufacturers is obviously a no go unless they say it's ok, but it appears here the "manufacturer" is likely the same for the two, then they're just stamped up with either brand, odd one that, I'd want to closely see both side by side to look

if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...........they are identical except for the name.

I thought I read in another thread that you are not allowed to mix manufacturers breakers/RCBO's in consumer units, unless the consumer unit manufacturer says it's ok??
You did Mate as I did can't recall where, either way what you said make complete sence hence the winner icon.

I've never understood why we have standards for MCBs, RCDs et all but they aren't explicit enough to allow mix and matching.

I get part of it is to allow for innovation and allows brands to be different but seriously. Why is an MCB not an MCB? When it's someone else's

I've never understood why we have standards for MCBs, RCDs et all but they aren't explicit enough to allow mix and matching.

I get part of it is to allow for innovation and allows brands to be different but seriously. Why is an MCB not an MCB? When it's someone else's
You need to contact the maker of the unit you have chosen to swap over to ascertain if it is compatible with the circuit design and the CU you have on the installation, see posts 10 and 11.

You are making to much of the problem, a quick call or email to the new unit's helpdesk, will say aye or nay, not rocket science, common sense really. Something to keep in the memory bank next time you are in a similar predicament. If you are a CPS member, their helpline will maybe able to advise also, worth asking in my book.

Last edited:
This should never be an issue if the product is still current and manufactured. Even obsolete/discontinued devices can generally be sourced, it is nothing new to use compatible parts this should have been realised before the 18th Ed cited it.

The problem is the busbar arrangement. DIN rails are standard, cables going in the other end don't care.

But that common stiff conductor to link the incomer with the MCB/RCBO has to be at the right height and have a conductor (single or two-prong) that matches the devices.

Why? I guess no one makes them conform to a standard and whatever is proposed would cause endless complaints from those for whom is did not match. So yes, it should have been the case years ago. But it is not, and is unlikely to be so any time soon :(

Reply to BG Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock