Discuss BG Incompetence strikes again in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Got called out yesterday, wife's friend has no power (since Thursday night) and their 2nd BG call for Saturday had been cancelled and re-scheduled for Sunday

Family of 5, no power

So I turn up to find they have 1 extension lead running the fridge freezer from their neighbour .............

So a quick visual :

3 year old metal clad board with RCD main switch
3 circuits (sockets, central heating and lights)

A quick set of tests

dead short on N-E on the lighting circuit, so with the customers agreement I disconnected the lighting and left them with sockets and central heating.

What I want to know is why the BG muppet who attended site on Thursday couldn't do what I did?

And why the loft conversion company thought it was acceptable to extend the existing socket and lights to incorporate the loft conversion AND think a RCD main switch was a good idea ......

I despair

Are these BG electricians directly employed or do they employ sub-contractors? I suppose there would be no obligation for the loft company electrician to replace the consumer unit if they turned down the quotation given just comments upon the existing installation.

I’m guessing the folks pay for breakdown service off BG? One would’ve hoped that they’d just keep working till service was restored. I don’t mind that the Operative wasn’t able to give a temporary fix as quickly and efficiently as you, but in my book there’s no going home till it’s done. Otherwise why bother?

I suppose there would be no obligation for the loft company electrician to replace the consumer unit if they turned down the quotation given just comments upon the existing installation.

The loft company fitted the new unit with the RCD main switch.

The loft company fitted the new unit with the RCD main switch.
That's a different story then they need to come back and replace it with one of compliance. Which begs the question of why they didn't install the loft circuits direct to the new consumer unit.

I’m guessing the folks pay for breakdown service off BG? One would’ve hoped that they’d just keep working till service was restored. I don’t mind that the Operative wasn’t able to give a temporary fix as quickly and efficiently as you, but in my book there’s no going home till it’s done. Otherwise why bother?

You expect far too much from BG it is difficult difficult to fix something when you are looking for the sales opportunity

You expect far too much from BG it is difficult difficult to fix something when you are looking for the sales opportunity
Then that goes back to my question are the BG electricians employed or sub-contractors? at a minimum, they should have found where the fault was and isolated at that point. Whether the contact involves rectifying the fault ie at worst a damaged cable I doubt.

electricians are sub-contract to BG. BG pay them a set call-out fee. anything that can't be resolved in a short time is punted back to BG to arrange a visit. I don't know the scope of works covered by the contract. afaik, it's just emergency breakdown. i thing further works are quoted for, but as i said. not sure of the complete situ.

It’s scary what’s out there,tested a site done by sparkies,who don’t do testing,can you believe that,no ring main ,just radials,earth wires cut out of T&E cause the downlighting don’t need a earth.
It’s wicked

Most of the BG electricians were directly employed (this was in 2005), I worked in the west Midlands, another guy on my patch was rubbish at his job.

I was only there for 2 months as BG were cowboys, and left.

this got me thinking about DP MCBs. is there a good reason why MCBs here aren't DP, as in many other countries?

Reply to BG Incompetence strikes again in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock