Discuss BG slides on SPD's and AFDD's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I think that Flick is one of the staff in disguise ... tricky to prove ...
Im going to rate that as dumb.

One of the staff members revealed last year there are profiles they use to test things ....
Already explained that before and as quote below.

As I’ve already explained to you in another thread yes we do have a profile we use to test things and it’s @Testaccount. I really don’t see why you need to persist on continually stirring the pot

My last word on the subject ......... because the alert in question is abused as convincingly proved by the idiot yesterday

Just get rid of it ........... or allow trolls like him to stir the pot.
It’s been abused a lot more by your good self and you won’t let it rest.

When are you going to accept that you don't make the rules on here and as for having the last word on the subject, here it is, one more accusation from you about staff and rogue accounts without proof will see you Banned immediately.
You have been warned.

you are ALL missing the point.

And my statement about the account was spot on .............. as confirmed

People can also have multiple accounts ....
No you’re missing the point. Your statement about the account was not spot on as you well know. Finally so as I can have the last word, you can have a holiday from the forum for consistent trolling over the last few days.

Premises with sleeping accommodation Locations with risk of fire due the nature processed or stored materials (barns, wood-working shops, stores of combustible materials) ........... So i take it that any domestic dwelling with a garage that has power must have an AFDD for lighting and socket circuits......or is a car with petrol not considered combustible material

Got sent this today by an independent wholesaler and thought it would be interesting to see peoples comments

Happy reading / viewing
Just read this, can't understand why someone has given you a "DUMB"

I haven't got the BBB or done any reading on the subject, but from Murdochs link;

SPD's 'reg 443.5......….except for single dwelling units where the total value of the installation and equipment therein, does not justify such protection'. No mention there of carrying out the risk assessment.
AFDD's are only recommended.

So for a 'standard' domestic property, I can not see the IET are suggesting/recommending/requiring any of these devices to be fitted?

Far as I can see, the only person in a domestic setting that can put a value on anything is the owner not the installer, make a note on any certs....discussed and recommend spds & affds, customer declined :).....I stand by my previous statement on all this, having the manufacturers on the committee is akin to mcvities recommending you eat more biscuits!

So i take it that any domestic dwelling with a garage that has power must have an AFDD for lighting and socket circuits......or is a car with petrol not considered combustible material

The example premises, are those that already have process in place because of the high risk of fire.

A motor vehicle has been designed under normal circumstances, not to spontaneously combust (don't tell Zafira owners that), therefore an integral garage wouldn't require AFDD's.

However, if the garage had an internal car charger, the design might be different.

Bit more food for thought.....I just wondering where the home owner would stand with they insurance companies though if the worst was to happen and the insurers find out they declined the spds and adds...

No you’re missing the point. Your statement about the account was not spot on as you well know. Finally so as I can have the last word, you can have a holiday from the forum for consistent trolling over the last few days.

Out of interest @Sintra, what happened to the other member FLICK? Takes two to make an argument.

BG slides on SPD's and AFDD's 65C919A2-BEC8-4A5B-B03A-FBD26DB1E581 - EletriciansForums.net Overvoltage protection SHALL be provided for the 4 indents given above.
There is no get out risk assessment for these 4 conditions.
For all other cases then a risk assessment can be done.
A risk assessment is not applicable to domestic dwellings, you either fit one by what the cost therin etc etc or you don’t fit one but it’s definitely not a must for domestic installations.

AFDD,S are only a recommendation and unless a client wants to fork out a substantial amount of money for them, then they do not have to be installed

Does seem contradictory though; a fire in a simple domestic property has resulted in serious injury or loss of life.
As usual they have left it to us to decipher what comes under the 4 conditions.
BEMAS guide lists a few scenarios but as usual you will have conflicting views by different electricians and designers about what and where constitutes a SHALL.
So the debate goes on and on..........
Loss of life tho would be a higher risk on surges by lightning and as such a building with a LPS would require a type 1 SPD with further type 2’s downstream to migrate the effects

Yes I guess, it needs the potential for lightning strikes first, before you consider the next stage.

Wouldn't want to leave in one those area's where lightning strikes are high, could prove expensive.

Yes I guess, it needs the potential for lightning strikes first, before you consider the next stage.

Wouldn't want to live in one those area's where lightning strikes are high, could prove expensive.

I understand that weather patterns are changing in our life time, but on the lighter side these spd changes reminds me of Chicken Little :) .

AFDD's really are a simple matter, explain to the person ordering the work the recommendations in Bs7671 and give them the option. If they decline the additional cost then it goes on the EIC that the devices were recommended but declined. In dwellings same approach for SPD's. In commercial installations it's likely that SPD's will be required but these are a relatively cheap addition to the overall cost of a new commercial installation

Out of interest @Sintra, what happened to the other member FLICK? Takes two to make an argument.
@Midwest the arguement in question was between the staff and murdoch nothing to do with anyone else. Yes Flick rated some posts of murdoch’s post as dumb but that is a personal opinion of another member.

@Midwest the arguement in question was between the staff and murdoch nothing to do with anyone else. Yes Flick rated some posts of murdoch’s post as dumb but that is a personal opinion of another member.

Ok I understand and I'm not wishing to enrol myself into the argument or defending Murdoch.

However, on one particular thread, there were comments made by FLICK which were particularly annoying or inappropriate. Had I read them at the time, I would of reported them. Perhaps thats what Murdoch should of done, although having been in that position in the past, you only feel like 'fighting your own fights'.

Having looked at FLICK's postings, he last posted in 2014, only return this week (sure you can correct me), mainly to give Murdoch dumbs (17).

He doesn't seem to be contributing much, in a helpful or light hearted way.

I think lots of people are getting hood winked by wholesalers regarding these items, you need to read the Regulations regarding installing AFDDs and SPDDs regarding how, where, when and why, before you scaremonger your clients, into maybe unnecessary expenditure, for my tuppence worth.
Regulations for required reading:
443.1 and table 443.2"Where SPD protection may not be required.
443.4 "Where SPD protection is required.

AFDDs
If you fancy a read that is

Ok I understand and I'm not wishing to enrol myself into the argument or defending Murdoch.

However, on one particular thread, there were comments made by FLICK which were particularly annoying or inappropriate. Had I read them at the time, I would of reported them. Perhaps thats what Murdoch should of done, although having been in that position in the past, you only feel like 'fighting your own fights'.

Having looked at FLICK's postings, he last posted in 2014, only return this week (sure you can correct me), mainly to give Murdoch dumbs (17).

He doesn't seem to be contributing much, in a helpful or light hearted way.

Without wanting to start it all up again, the ratings from the member flick were not really relevant to why Murdoch got himself banned.
It had been coming for quite some time, when a member starts creating lots of work for staff and not in a good way and is getting reported regularly or not letting something go it's going to eventually come to an head, which it did last night.
The staff will never ban someone without several discussions behind the scenes and it is always in the best interests of the forum or it's members.

I agree, sometimes we all need to let things go. Clearly, I do not know the full story.

I also understand the difficulties altering or changing icon response (or whatever you call them) on a web forum. But I don't understand people using such a derogatory symbol, without explanation and it happens a lot; in this case this member seems to be using it to elicit a response. Seems he got what he set out to do.

Reply to BG slides on SPD's and AFDD's in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock