Discuss Big fan wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello folks, first time posting here so I hope it's in the right spot.

I recently received a large ventilation fan without the control panel.Big fan wiring 20200625_010313 - EletriciansForums.net
I was really hoping to get it up and running as it is getting really hot here but a new control panel costs about 200€ which sounds a bit expensive for a 380€ fan (new).

There is a little label on the back with the connections labeled but I can't seem to make sense of it.
Big fan wiring 20200629_160651 - EletriciansForums.net
I don't really know how to connect this or how the speed control works but it looks like I need a capacitor and I don't even know what size it needs to be.

I did some measurements between all the wires and made a little diagram, I'm hoping someone on here is able to help me because it'd be a shame if I had to throw this one away.

Big fan wiring Measurements - EletriciansForums.net
Big fan wiring 20200625_005652 - EletriciansForums.net
Big fan wiring 20200625_213212 - EletriciansForums.net

From what I found online it looks to be THIS (link) fan but I can't find schematics or more info on how it's wired up.

Thank you in advance folks, if you need more information please let me know and I'll update the post.

Assuming there is definitely no capacitor at the motor and that it is a permanent split motor you need a run capacitor of 15uf.

It is done from voltage, frequency, power and efficiency.

Get the controller. Paying such a price, I would want my equipment to work to the optimum....and, if you start messing, you could lose it altogether.

Get the controller. Paying such a price, I would want my equipment to work to the optimum....and, if you start messing, you could lose it altogether.
Yeah I get what you're saying but I got this thing for free without being able to test it, I was told it still worked but they needed the control panel for another unit. I don't feel comfortable spending a not insignificant sum when I don't even know if it works well. The motor spins freely so the bearings are alright, but I have no idea if the windings are in decent shape. I haven't measured any shorts, but I don't know how they'll behave once the motor heats up. I have some parts laying around and can easily fashion a control panel myself if it turns out that it works well with the capacitor. The capacitor costs me 8€ shipped, i'm willing to take that risk and get a few measurements in when it's running. Now if this was for a professional thing and not just for my own, I'd certainly just buy the replacement without question.

Reply to Big fan wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock