Discuss Blast from the past, antiques roadshow PV ;-) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Anyone been doing PV for ten years? I have a local PV pioneer concerned about the output of his system installed in 2004 by a long defunct company.

It appears to have dropped 20% output since installation. The panel tiles are Photowatt who have been taken over by our old friends at EDF but who currently don't seem to have a website up and running. I'v filled out a form in something approximating French but wouldn't be surprised if i never hear back as i may have actually written something quite insulting, so thought i would try here also.

PV tile detail - top left.jpgPV tile - front.jpgPV wiring.jpgPV tile - back.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any diodes to fail so my initial thought are that it's just degradation of the cells, the inverter is a Fronius IG20 (shows how long they've been around) Any ideas or data on the tiles would be mostly appreciated.

Has the system really dropped as much as thought, or was it the very sunless year just past which made a normal and expected gradual loss of output (say 0.5-1% per year) suddenly seem much worse?
Have some nearby buildings or trees appeared since installation to cause some blocking of what little sunshine we've actually seen in 2012?

Has the system really dropped as much as thought, or was it the very sunless year just past which made a normal and expected gradual loss of output (say 0.5-1% per year) suddenly seem much worse?
Have some nearby buildings or trees appeared since installation to cause some blocking of what little sunshine we've actually seen in 2012?

Not from what he's told me.

Has anyone got any data on the tiles or has anyone got experience of this generation of poly cells and their degradation levels?

Having done some more digging there is a chimney that shades some part of the array so my current thinking is that the lack of diodes coupled with the shading has led to accelerated degradation due to reverse current and/or hot spots.

Reply to Blast from the past, antiques roadshow PV ;-) in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net