Discuss Bloody builders!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi first time posting just looking for advice from fellow sparks, having troubles with builder at home.
He’s suppose to be knocking down some load bearing walls and fitting steels, fitting a kitchen and a couple of windows.
Was agreed this week he would knock walls down rip out kitchen and fit the steels. Came Monday did a bit on a smaller job upstairs which was suppose to be finished last week which we’ve paid and still waiting to be finished, Tuesday knocked down a small plaster board wall and knocked some plaster one of the walls coming down,
Wednesday didnt turn up got someone to come and rip the kitchen out not a big kitchen about half a day and Left a gas pipe turned off but without a cap on the end and the isolator a nice height for our 3 year old who likes to touch and play with everything, which we mentioned to him but he didn’t bother coming and doing. He told us a plumber would come today but never turned up. Was suppose to come round tonight to discuss things but he’s sick
He asked us to pay him 2k beginning of the week so he could have a float to get material and labour. Since then we’ve paid for the skip, arranged and paid a deposit for the steels and only had someone here half a day to rip the kitchen out.
Now he’s holding me up on my electrics in the kitchen
He’s been hard to get hold of these last few days. When we try speak to him about our concerns he says we are putting under too much pressure and making a big deal about small issues and has twice Threatened to walk, would just get someone else if it wasn’t for the 2k and the last bits upstairs.
Would appreciate any suggestions and advice obviously not feeling very confident with him
Thanks

you can ridddor him under the gas safety act for leaving a open end gas pipe who ever dismantled you gas appliance should be gas safe how do you know the gas isolation valve is not letting by and you have gas escaping in your dwelling.
first i would contact gas safe or a gas engineer to make safe, the hse would be all over him.

From checkatrade reviews were ok was between him and another guy similar price but he didn’t charge vat so was saving about 4K. Started just over 2 weeks ago don’t he’s done a full day once!!!!

This story is all to common

My gut feeling would be telling get shot of this guy ASAP , and get a different reputable builder in to complete the job.

Ask the builder for your money back less any materials that he can prove he purchased for you .
If he refuses then Speak to a solicitor about trying to claim your money back

That’s the funny thing we asked for that and he printed off a sheet at the start showing the planned works and what’s gonna be done each week he just hasn’t been here to do it. He’s here today today saying here gonna be here all day and half a day tomorrow. Says the plasters coming on Monday to finish off upstairs!
So will have to see next few days if he sticks to his word!!

He says he’s finished his other job and the work he’s actually done upstairs looks alright just a case of him actually being here and getting on with it!!

a builder sticking to his word??????
Bloody builders!!!! 1562407945794 - EletriciansForums.net

Have you agreed on a fixed price for the works?
I think it is a case of him being cheaper as no VAT and he is too much demand. Have seen or got good reviews of his previous jobs.

If you are a sparks, don't you come into contact with builders you can trust rather than using the 'checkatrader' lottery?
Times we have been to put right installations by checkatrader cowboys who all had 'good' reviews!

Surely 1 medium sized job will take a builder over the VAT threshold.

I'm not a big fan of the current system. Make everyone VAT registered, or no one, then we can have a level playing field and stop the constant 'do you take cash' enquiries. Perhaps £10k turnover to allow for kids/oaps etc doing odd jobs.

Surely 1 medium sized job will take a builder over the VAT threshold.

I'm not a big fan of the current system. Make everyone VAT registered, or no one, then we can have a level playing field and stop the constant 'do you take cash' enquiries. Perhaps £10k turnover to allow for kids/oaps etc doing odd jobs.
have to disagree there. most sole traders are under the vat threshold. 80 odd k, i believe.

Yes was a fixed price, found out after they started the wife’s friend knows someone who’s having work done by them as well,
She said there work was good but there not very organised.
Don’t do to many jobs for builders it’s mainly local councils, letting agents and private jobs

Yes was a fixed price, found out after they started the wife’s friend knows someone who’s having work done by them as well,
She said there work was good but there not very organised.
Don’t do to many jobs for builders it’s mainly local councils, letting agents and private jobs
Some tradesmen are like that good at what they do but they are not good at doing their accounts and organisation.

Reply to Bloody builders!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock