Discuss Bloody Wood Butchers. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
as above. fitted a wall cabinet. drilled , plugged and screwed directly above mid point od a double socket. what a muppet. esp. as the cabinet brackets could easily be moved a couple of inches.

Bloody Wood Butchers. 008 - EletriciansForums.net

Don't complain...it keeps you in beer tokens!

On the landing of our house, the previous people stuck a nail about 12" directly above a light switch..Luckily it is patrician wall and the T&E wasn't hanging dead vertical otherwise they would have nailed it!

Don't complain...it keeps you in beer tokens!

On the landing of our house, the previous people stuck a nail about 12" directly above a light switch..Luckily it is patrician wall and the T&E wasn't hanging dead vertical otherwise they would have nailed it!
Crikey Pete I thought you were on about my Wife, her name is Patricia.:Do_O:rolleyes::)

prepped ready to crimp and heat shrink:

Bloody Wood Butchers. prepped - EletriciansForums.net

managed to pull a couple of inches slack from above.

it would seem that logics dictate cables go straight up/down/left/right. we all know that. trouble is that some other trades can't see anything beyond their own incompetence. ( and that excludes the other trades that have a brain, some are good, some bad, some indifferent, and some should have been smothered at birth).

Try this one on for size ... Bloody Wood Butchers. IMG_0243.JPG - EletriciansForums.net ... screw in 'free' space, not fixing anything, ~ 15 - 20 mm from the edge of the edge of the back box hole and roughly vertically in line with where the cable sheath and conductor insulation has been breached! Lath and screw 'plastered' over with 'new' white plaster ... certainly not the original lime plaster!Bloody Wood Butchers. IMG_0245.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
... and then there is the 'stripping' damage to the insulation on the other side of the Line conductor! If I remember correctly that was the 'load' cable. It was not connected to anything ... but the 'supply' cable was connected to a MCB @ the Distribution Board.

Try this one on for size ... View attachment 40551 ... screw in 'free' space, not fixing anything, ~ 15 - 20 mm from the edge of the edge of the back box hole and roughly vertically in line with where the cable sheath and conductor insulation has been breached! Lath and screw 'plastered' over with 'new' white plaster ... certainly not the original lime plaster!View attachment 40552
... and then there is the 'stripping' damage to the insulation on the other side of the Line conductor! If I remember correctly that was the 'load' cable. It was not connected to anything ... but the 'supply' cable was connected to a MCB @ the Distribution Board.
Looks like the electrician stripping those cables had a bit of a mishap with the red conductor, more than likely he was using a Stanley type knife.

Pity the regs aren't written to protect the 'ordinary bloke in the street'.
Many people don't understand cables - or just never think about them.
So we hide them away, buried in walls , with no protection if they are in the 'regulation prescribed zones', cos of course everyone knows about these don't they? Now of course we have RCD protection required, but this won't work for an unearthed capping - I wouldn't like to test a 30mA RCD by holding a nail and belting it into a live conductor. I still think all hidden cables in walls should have earthed metallic protection! ( just a fad of mine ).

John.

Looks like the electrician stripping those cables had a bit of a mishap with the red conductor, more than likely he was using a Stanley type knife.

Clearly ... if I remember correctly, it may have been wrapped in insulation tape that had come 'loose' due presumably to 'aged' adhesive! Do you not think that it was unacceptable to leave it as is or even if wrapped? Surely it should have been cut off and terminated safely if there was enough 'spare' cable to do so ... and if not a new length should have been 'pulled in'?

Try this one on for size ... View attachment 40551 ... screw in 'free' space, not fixing anything, ~ 15 - 20 mm from the edge of the edge of the back box hole and roughly vertically in line with where the cable sheath and conductor insulation has been breached! Lath and screw 'plastered' over with 'new' white plaster ... certainly not the original lime plaster!View attachment 40552
jeez. that wallpaper is atrocious.

Reply to Bloody Wood Butchers. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock