Discuss Blowing Fuses in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cldcp00

I have a extractor fan in the kitchen which has been working fine. It is powered by an isolator switch on the wall which has a fuse in it and a power on indicator light. Recently it keep blowing fuses in this isolator switch. It does not blow them straight away it seems that after the fan has been running for a while it blows the fuse. I spoke to the manufacturers of the fan as it is less than year old and they have told me that the problem is not with the unit but with the supply.

I did notice that the indicator in the fans isolator switch was flickering where the one in the Washing machine was solid.

Could somebody advise me what I need to do

could be a bad connection in the isolator. i assume it's a FCU, with neon. the neon , however , could just be flickering due to a poor connection on the neon itself. a sparks with test equipment to trace a possible fault is the best way forward.

So is the manufacturer correct that the problem is not with the Extractor and the warranty for the unit runs out in a few days

OK> what is the rating of the fan? is it on a 3A fuse?

Sorry for my manners guys. Thanks you very much for you prompt replies.
When you say a bad connection is it a matter of just checking the wiring or buying a new isolator unit.

As money is a bit short at the moment is it something I could or does it need a sparks?

sounds very much like the fan. possibly gone tight and drawing excessive current. think they're trying to get out of the guarantee.

So is the manufacturer correct that the problem is not with the Extractor and the warranty for the unit runs out in a few days

This is not a problem. If you log your complaint about the item within the warranty time scale, it is still valid. You can still get a sparky in the test the supply, FCU and the fan. If the fan is faulty you are entitled to have it repaired or replaced by the manufacture/retailer. Call them back and log your warranty claim, get it checked out by a sparky and get a new one if it is the fan itself.

I then put a 13 amp in it as it was the only one I had available and it blow that too

and after it blew the 13 amp fuse what did you use then .... a nail?? ;)

Seriously though, I think the fan is running tight and this could be due to it needing to be cleaned out.

Over time, they get clogged up with grease, fluff, dust & other debris which prevents the fan from spinning freely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Blowing Fuses in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net