Discuss Blown dimmer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baggy61

Hi guys,
New to this posting lark (not good at typing either) but to get up & running I got called to a house a few weeks ago, the dimmer on a cieling candalabra had blown. replaced it with 2g alto 250w dimmer . Got call today to say lamp in mathing wall light had gone,they replaced it but now that dimmer switch had stopped working I put a meter across terms & got 19v. (240 to earth).
I replaced the switch again and it works fine. The lady mentioned that she had previously replaced the switch.Installation looks about 50 years old , signs of diy(checked tightness of terms in c.u & cooker earth hanging loose) I'm going back soon for EICR but would appreciate any ideas (voltage spikes ) perhaps.
Its a TT system,retro fit mcbs & 30Ma rcd on incomings.
Thanks in advance,
Martin.

a light bulb ( sod off lamp fanatics ) blowing sometimes will take a dimmer out with it.

What type of lamp is it?

- - - Updated - - -

What type of lamp is it?

- - - Updated - - -

What type of lamp is it?

- - - Updated - - -

What type of lamp is it?

Ceiling candalabra has 3x candle gls 40 or 60w then 3wall lights with 2 of the same on each.

In which case I suspect the dimmer gave up the ghost. you need a dimmer with a greater capacity and maybe a deeper back box!

In which case I suspect the dimmer gave up the ghost. you need a dimmer with a greater capacity and maybe a deeper back box!

Today replaced a dimmer module - fed two lights that took a standard security light lamp (or bulb). Both had a 150w lamp in for ...well, 4 years since I put them there.

dimmer module rated at 400w.

blew lamp. Owner replaced lamp. Mcb tripped. Light doesnt work.

replaced dimmer module. Didnt check lamps (!).

Week later mcb trips again. Hmmm. Ask owner to check what is written on two lamps that they have replaced. One says 150w, one says 500w!

:)

Surely only 120 or 180 w on candalabra though 240 or 360 on wall lights. Back box has a spacer , but good point , thanks, I'll check what lamps are in there tomorrow. Seem to be looking for dimmers that work on tiny loads for LEDs probably overlooked the obvious. D 'oh.

Today replaced a dimmer module - fed two lights that took a standard security light lamp (or bulb). Both had a 150w lamp in for ...well, 4 years since I put them there.

dimmer module rated at 400w.

blew lamp. Owner replaced lamp. Mcb tripped. Light doesnt work.

replaced dimmer module. Didnt check lamps (!).

Week later mcb trips again. Hmmm. Ask owner to check what is written on two lamps that they have replaced. One says 150w, one says 500w!

:)

Good at sums then, eh

Its them evil candle lamps!! especially if they are mounted vertically. Sometimes when they blow the element falls across the support wires, cheap or even good quality lamps never blow their internal fuse quick enough so the short circuit current blows the dimmer first. I had a couple of chandeliers in a night club pulling a lot less than the dimmer ratings but was changing the dimmer modules, alto newlec or sector, even hamilton on a regular basis. In the end I fitted Lutron dimmers which have internal overloads which reset after such a occurance. Problem solved! They are around £60 tho, but for my customer with my extortionate hourly rate :) it was the best option. Spacer required tho!!

Sadly I havnt found any. Even the new ones the halogen energy saving ones seemed to have the same problem, you know the ones that are 3 times the price and last half the time. The only way I think at the moment is an LED replacement but then youve got the low rated dimmer problem.......im looking into that currently for a job ive just done, none of the big boy wholesalers who will sell you the lamps seem to have any idea :(

Reply to Blown dimmer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock