Discuss Blown Fuse---is it ok to leave blown fuse in and leave electric on. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

lisi33

DIY
Reaction score
We have an older mobile home. One of the fuses keeps blowing. We tried to trace the wire to see if a mouse chewed on the wire perhaps. We think the culprit may be a racoon got the wire...because when we looked under the mobile home to find the wire...there was a racoon....and you can see she shredded a bunch of insulation...so we think she probably got the wire also. We now need to get racoon out so we can get in and find the wire. My question is...is it safe to leave the electric on...and either leave the blown fuse in or remove the blown fuse and leave it empty...until we can find the wire and repair it? (of course we will turn the electric off before we look or do anything with the wire). This is a seasonal home...and that fuse only covers 2 outlets in the bathrooom...so we could stay there while we work on the problem if we leave the blown fuse in...but just want to know if it is safe to do so. Thanks.

We have an older mobile home. One of the fuses keeps blowing. We tried to trace the wire to see if a mouse chewed on the wire perhaps. We think the culprit may be a racoon got the wire...because when we looked under the mobile home to find the wire...there was a racoon....and you can see she shredded a bunch of insulation...so we think she probably got the wire also. We now need to get racoon out so we can get in and find the wire. My question is...is it safe to leave the electric on...and either leave the blown fuse in or remove the blown fuse and leave it empty...until we can find the wire and repair it? (of course we will turn the electric off before we look or do anything with the wire). This is a seasonal home...and that fuse only covers 2 outlets in the bathrooom...so we could stay there while we work on the problem if we leave the blown fuse in...but just want to know if it is safe to do so. Thanks.
Better to remove the fuse.

Not gonna matter a jot if the fuse is blown whether it is left in place or removed
That really would depend on the way the fuse blew, it could have gone open because of overheating for example leaving a very close contact just like a light bulb that doesn't work, and then the next minute comes to life, hence removing the fuse is actually safer, and that's if the fuse has actually blown and not has a bad mounting connection better to remove and not have the uncertainty.

Last edited:
First off take the blown fuse out, then when that fuse blows what exactly is on that circuit. I can’t help you without knowing how much load is on that particular circuit. It sounds like it’s the same fuse.

Take the fuse out, it is a safer option.
it is possible that the fuse has not blown and it still has power to it but no return path because the wire has been blown/chewed apart.

Also, turn the power off at the main switch before climbing under there, it is possible that there are more bare cables that have been chewed and you don't want to come into contact with one if the power is still on.

If it were me, i would take a torch and a 410 gauge shotgun, just in case there are any more raccoons, rats, snakes or any other things that may fight back!!

Take the fuse out, it is a safer option.
it is possible that the fuse has not blown and it still has power to it but no return path because the wire has been blown/chewed apart.

Also, turn the power off at the main switch before climbing under there, it is possible that there are more bare cables that have been chewed and you don't want to come into contact with one if the power is still on.

If it were me, i would take a torch and a 410 gauge shotgun, just in case there are any more raccoons, rats, snakes or any other things that may fight back!!
I would have thought he would have sorted it by now 🤣

Reply to Blown Fuse---is it ok to leave blown fuse in and leave electric on. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock