Discuss Blown kitchen appliance switch in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys got a switch that blew it's a ring circuit just for kitchen appliances, I've got fridge/freezer, cooker hood, washing machine and tumble dryer on the circuit, in the kitchen I've got a 2 gang switch which then has 2 separate sockets spiring off for the appliances. Now bearing in mind nothing apart from the fridge has been on and the breaker tripped turned all appliances off and on one by one and the tumble dryer blew at the switch..... what would cause this overloading or the tumble dryer being faulty the company has had some recalls so will have to check the model!!! Any help uploaded a pic of the switch

IMG_4151.JPG

If that occurred when you turned the power onto to tumble drier on, it suggests there is a fairly major fault in the fixed wiring from that switch to the socket the tumble drier is connected to or within the tumble drier itself.

Have you moved things around recently or had any work done in the area?

No the tumblerdryer switch is supposed to be for a dishwasher but didn't think that would make a difference, just checked online and my tumble dryer has had a recall so could well be that. It's been working for at least 4 months since I moved in, the tumbkedryer stopped heating up about a month ago had to take it apart to reset the thermal overload.

it may just be the switch has shorted out or disintegrated. these are double pole switches. only testing the circuit can determine if there's a fault on the wiring or in the dryer.

No the tumblerdryer switch is supposed to be for a dishwasher but didn't think that would make a difference, just checked online and my tumble dryer has had a recall so could well be that. It's been working for at least 4 months since I moved in, the tumbkedryer stopped heating up about a month ago had to take it apart to reset the thermal overload.

How old is the dryer ?, If it's still under guarantee you voided it by opening the appliance.

Hi Morris, welcome to the forum !
Whatever the cause, I think that switch needs replacing. A very quick job for an Electrician and they could also check the condition of the cable and the current drawn by the dryer.

seen quite a few of these bridged out due to switch failure over the years. not a fan of them tbh.

and fancy having a switch marked dishwaher. wives don't come with a pre-wired plug.

Reply to Blown kitchen appliance switch in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net