Discuss BMW Z4 e85 Brake lights/indicator on when ignition off in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an issue with my brake lights coming on when I take the key out the ignition. Therefore running the battery down.

The brake lights etc all work fine when running.

I may have got a step closer to the issue with it being linked to the roof somehow but thought I’d Stick a post on here to see if it’s likely to be.

So i believe it’s something linked to the immobiliser and the roof. As when I take the key out the indicators flash once and the brake lights stay on (similar to the flash you’d get from locking remotely) If I park the car up with the roof down it seems to ‘reset’ something when I turn the ignition off and the problem goes away for a few days until randomly the brake lights will Come back on. They’ve even started flashing sometimes ?.

Does anyone know of any related/similar issues or think it be something to do with the immobiliser and the roof. If so where to start looking?!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

if it were the indicators, I'd suggest taking the bulbs out, as BMW drivers never seem to use them. ?.

I would be looking for a poor or broken ground cable, possibly in the area of the roof.

Hi all,

I have an issue with my brake lights coming on when I take the key out the ignition. Therefore running the battery down.

The brake lights etc all work fine when running.

I may have got a step closer to the issue with it being linked to the roof somehow but thought I’d Stick a post on here to see if it’s likely to be.

So i believe it’s something linked to the immobiliser and the roof. As when I take the key out the indicators flash once and the brake lights stay on (similar to the flash you’d get from locking remotely) If I park the car up with the roof down it seems to ‘reset’ something when I turn the ignition off and the problem goes away for a few days until randomly the brake lights will Come back on. They’ve even started flashing sometimes ?.

Does anyone know of any related/similar issues or think it be something to do with the immobiliser and the roof. If so where to start looking?!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated

Is it possible that your brake light switch is faulty . Most cars do not need the ignition on to operate the brake lights.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll have a look.
If possible disconnect the wiring from the stop light switch connection and see if that cures the problem.
It is quite common for faulty brake light switches to cause the brake lights to flash or stay on.

If possible disconnect the wiring from the stop light switch connection and see if that cures the problem.
It is quite common for faulty brake light switches to cause the brake lights to flash or stay on.
Thanks

I have… unfortunately they stay on. As the brake lights work fine when the ignition is on I’m sure this isn’t the issue now

Is it just the brake lights on yours? If you're also having problems with indicators, windows and lights the I would suspect the 'footwell module'. Have you had the car scanned for error codes?

Is it just the brake lights on yours? If you're also having problems with indicators, windows and lights the I would suspect the 'footwell module'. Have you had the car scanned for error codes?
It’s just the brake lights when I take the keys from the ignition, if I turn the key to ignite the car the car the brake light turn off

Not sure if it's a footwell module in the Z4 (I'm thinking (BMW) Minis) but they have various modules including a FRM.

Reply to BMW Z4 e85 Brake lights/indicator on when ignition off in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net