Discuss Board Change Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So im looking to get certified with Stroma, signed up and my first job that I can use for the assessment is a board change.

The only issue is it doesn't have bonding to the main water. Can I change the board and put the fact there is no bonding down under as an advisory?

Thanks for your help in advanced

So im looking to get certified with Stroma, signed up and my first job that I can use for the assessment is a board change.

The only issue is it doesn't have bonding to the main water. Can I change the board and put the fact there is no bonding down under as an advisory?

No. Bonding needs to be included as part of the CU change.

I wouldn't recommend your approach unless you want to fail your assessment.

Lack of bonding is a C2 on an EICR/PIR. Do you really think that it is acceptable to leave it (regardless if it's for your scam membership or not ( unless you're a sparky near me that charged 2 days for an 8 way board change and left the bonding)! :)

Hmmm, And exactly what electrical qualifications do you hold??

Bonding to the Gas, water etc is part and partial of a board change, if it's already in place, and continuity tests OK 0.05ohms is the limit, correct size cable used 10mm, I did read a recommendation somewhere that if the run to each of the items that require bonding is over 25mtr then you must increase the size of main bonding conductor. In answer to your question. no you cant leave an advisory.

sorry, pete. that 0.05 ohms is the max. you should get between the bonding conductor and the pipe it's connected to, not the resistance of the conductor itself.

Hmmm, And exactly what electrical qualifications do you hold??

2330 Level 3
NVQ L3
AM2
17th Edition

Any more questions before you answer my simple question?

Only asking because one of the lads at work says its what he does, it will be a nightmare to get a cable through to the other side of the house.

Thanks for all the decent/non-derogative reply's so far!

i disagree. if you can quote the reg. that proves me wrong, i'll eat the pie.

It will be a nightmare as its at the other end of the house. It will be a difficult job to make it look tidy.

It would also mean taking up the flooring in all rooms upstairs.

Do a search or 2 on here. Remember the location of the bond needs to be within 600mm of entry to the premises "where practical".

I would question your "mates" about their claims - because I can't imagine they are compliant on their installs, regs nor certs.

Unfortunately if it's got to be done it's got to be done , I had one about month ago right to the other side ofthe house but it had to be done

2330 Level 3
NVQ L3
AM2
17th Edition

Any more questions before you answer my simple question?

Only asking because one of the lads at work says its what he does, it will be a nightmare to get a cable through to the other side of the house.

Thanks for all the decent/non-derogative reply's so far!

Sorry but you should know better as you seem adequately qualified so to speak, I'm not trying to sound rude but how can you possibly not know this? I'm disgusted that you would even consider leaving it off.

If your mate leaves it off then he is a fool and going the extra mile to wrecking this industry!

Do a search or 2 on here. Remember the location of the bond needs to be within 600mm of entry to the premises "where practical".

I would question your "mates" about their claims - because I can't imagine they are compliant on their installs, regs nor certs.

Unfortunately it goes from the outside path under the house to under the sink.

His reason is because hes not adding or altering the existing install He's changing the board to make it safer.

so by the same reasoning, he's fit a new c/h boiler but leave the gas leak on the gas fire leaking?

Unfortunately it goes from the outside path under the house to under the sink.

His reason is because hes not adding or altering the existing install He's changing the board to make it safer.

There is always a way to do it, it's pure laziness in my opinion. Making bit safer yes, but with no regard to the regs. If he can't be asked to do do a simple task like bond the water, I dread to think how good the board change is...

Reply to Board Change Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net