Discuss Board Change with Asbestos Flash Guards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MBEINST

I have been asked to quote for the above board change. Having read the COSHH guidance it doesn't appear to be anything that I can't handle. However, do I need to be licensed to undertake any work with asbestos and would I need to inform my 3rd party insurance providers.

I am aware that I need to factor the cost of disposal into my quote but any further advice prior to me quoting would be greatly appreciated.

Prior to reading the COSHH sheet I got very twitchy at the very word 'Asbestos' but I need the work and intend to use a full face respirator whilst removing the old board and sanitizing the area.

My advice would be to wear a mask, try and disturb them as little as possible, double bag the board once it's removed and dispose of properly. Clean up without using a vacuum cleaner.

*edit* the hse guide linked by mark doesn't entirely agree with my method :)

Best you go about it properly , is the customer aware of the situation , if they are and you don't go about this the right way , they could put you right in the kart,,

That's NOT COSHH guidance its CAWR guidance.
You MUST have training and be competent to do this work.
You MUST be insured, which you are going to arrange, thus you MUST comply with the requirements of your insurer, you need to find out what these are before you start.
You MUST follow the requirements of a33 and its associated documents fully.

IF you can do this crack on if not, get someone in who can/will.
Remember CAWR is statute law, break it & get done, and say bye bye to any chance of visiting the USA for example, amongst other things.

Paul,

Please accept my apologies for using the wrong terminology.

Since the tab at the top of the Pdf states 'COSHH MC3 - a33.pdf' I obviously but eroneously thought that COSHH was the overall policy and CAWR was one aspect of COSHH.

I fully intend to follow the guidance but would like to know if I need to be licenced. What training course MUST I attend and who determines my competence.

Is it another governing/notification body that I need to pay off to allow me to do my job?

Paul,

Please accept my apologies for using the wrong terminology.

Since the tab at the top of the Pdf states 'COSHH MC3 - a33.pdf' I obviously but eroneously thought that COSHH was the overall policy and CAWR was one aspect of COSHH.

I fully intend to follow the guidance but would like to know if I need to be licenced. What training course MUST I attend and who determines my competence.

Is it another governing/notification body that I need to pay off to allow me to do my job?

I can tell you first hand from someone that does a lot of this, that someone in your position should get a contractor in and adjust your price accordingly. It's never worth it for just one job. Thats a fairly quick and easy job for a licensed contractor.

There’s little raw asbestos in woven cloth. If you’re that bloody worried spray it with adhesive first. Sling it in a skip!

It’s wittering on about minuscule things that keeps the H&S industry feeding on it’s self. The parasites feed on induced fear.

Here we go again, ....what a load of old crap!!

Haha, so true - i kept my post to a bare minimum, showing the relevant HSE document, because i know how strict some people are on the subject...

I once went on an asbestos course, when i was employed - got the documentation still cobweb ridden somewhere, but if i remember rightly theres white, blue and brown ? ...i also remember that, especially for fuse-carriers, the amount of asbestos is at a bare minimum and the best thing is to use it as backfill somewhere lol.

Ill put my tin-hat on, and be ready, sword in hand for any abuse heading my way :86:

There’s little raw asbestos in woven cloth. If you’re that bloody worried spray it with adhesive first. Sling it in a skip!

It’s wittering on about minuscule things that keeps the H&S industry feeding on it’s self. The parasites feed on induced fear.
i was gonna say..

the way folk were bleatin on about it...like it was a mini crisis or something...

just due care taken will be enough.....

There's common sense and there's legal requirements, I guess it's up to the OP which way he wants to go as long as he's aware of the legal side of things and the consequences for ignoring them if he so chooses.

There's common sense and there's legal requirements, I guess it's up to the OP which way he wants to go as long as he's aware of the legal side of things and the consequences for ignoring them if he so chooses.
oh not you as well Marvo..

look, all it is is some crappy asbestos cloth (with very little asbestos in it)...i`v changed loads of these BS3036s...just due care & attention...

dispose of carefully (i like the idea of Tony`s with a spray of contact adhesive)..sling in a skip..

job done...

According to the HSE I should be dead. Sorry to disappoint you all.

Rewireable fuses have been with us for yonks.

The only time I’ve ever been bothered was testing a 1600A 3.3KV ACB. Damp had got in and the arc chutes were breaking up. Read up on cementitious asbestos.

Haha, so true - i kept my post to a bare minimum, showing the relevant HSE document, because i know how strict some people are on the subject...

I once went on an asbestos course, when i was employed - got the documentation still cobweb ridden somewhere, but if i remember rightly theres white, blue and brown ? ...i also remember that, especially for fuse-carriers, the amount of asbestos is at a bare minimum and the best thing is to use it as backfill somewhere lol.

Ill put my tin-hat on, and be ready, sword in hand for any abuse heading my way :86:

I've been on a few of those awareness courses over the years, and at every one of them, i've brought up 3036 fuse flash guards, and every time the guy taking the course has had to admit the extremely low level of risk.

Next time any of you that take this course, ask why all such fuse boards haven't been condemned, and haven't been ordered to be replaced across the board (excuse the pun) by law, if they have been deemed so dangerous for an electrician to replace a fuse element. You'll see them start wriggling and then waffling and moving away on to the real dangerous stuff!!

Reply to Board Change with Asbestos Flash Guards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net