Discuss Boat EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thomas-1981

I've been asked to carry out periodics in 3 canal barge's.
But to be honest I don't have experience of this kind of Installation so turned it away.
Has anyone had experience of barge's and what's the main characteristics of this type of install.

Cheers

Thomas

709.1, Scope;
"The particular requirements do not apply to the internal electrical installations of pleasure craft and houseboats"

Note 3; The electrical installations of houseboats shall comply with the general requirements of these regulations together with the relevant particular requirements of Part 7.

So that's all clear then; A houseboat is just a house so has to comply with 7671, Section 709 does not apply, but it has to comply with "relevant" bits of Part 7.

Glad we've cleared that up :)
Laurie

Thats great thanks.
The customer has been back on at me to test these as their previous electrician as retired and I've been recommended.
They have previous test results.
So going to site to see whats involved.
If I'm still unsure I'll just make my apologies and walk away.

Thats great thanks.
The customer has been back on at me to test these as their previous electrician as retired and I've been recommended.
They have previous test results.
So going to site to see whats involved.
If I'm still unsure I'll just make my apologies and walk away.

You will be OK, you are just a bit wary cos its different, its a house in the water thats all. i am not speaking from any experience, as i have done nowt with boats, but electrical installation is what it is. I am curious though, do you have to pull the earth rod up everytime it moves, a bit like an anchor?:21:

Cheers..........Howard

The previous test results should give you some indication as to what you're expected to test.
As well as things like earth continuity, IR etc, you may have to test a generator, shore power connection, navigation lights, possibly galvanic bonding etc.

As far as I am aware "although not sure as I have not worked on a boat" the principles are the same as a caravan park with a 16a blue industrial plug and socket set up, with a TT supply placed close to the boat docks.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nice one sirkit lol
Customer couldn't find previous test certificates.
Whats the point in doing tests if they don't file the certificates.
Anyway had a look and its only an rcd consumer unit supplying some 13amp sockets and a battery charger.
All the lights work off the batteries.
As skyraps mentioned the boats are supplied by a 16amp industrial socket.
Should be straight forward enough. He hopes lol

Thanks gents

Just would like to pose a question on this topic. The 16A commando socket feeding the boat needs to be protected by a 30mA RCD. If the fuseboard within the boat itself also has 30mA RCD is this not a discrimination issue?Overcoming this would involve using an S type RCD at 100mA which then contravenes reg 709.531.2 Would removing the RCD from the boat board and replacing with a double pole main switch be acceptable?

Hi,

I've wired a Canal Boat for a friend and once you get your head round it it's not a major problem.
Main items to check are,
1. RCD Protection.
2. Polarity of supply- There should be fitted on the Consumer unit ( within the Boat ) Mains Available and Polarity. This can be done with a couple of lamps/LED's.
3. Earthing and Bonding.Negative of DC Supply should be bonded to Hull with AC Bond. there should be in place a Zinc Saver unit for Cathodic Protection and return Earth Path.
From the net you can download ISO 10133 and ISO 13297, Small craft AC & DC Installations.
Other than that test as you would any other Installation.

Regards.

Reply to Boat EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net