Discuss Boiler in the bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mattcos1972

Customer wants Combi Boiler positioned in bathroom due to lack of space in kitchen.
The boiler will be positioned in a cupboard and no switchgear accessible without opening a door to gain access.

Does this sound OK, and are there any special requirements that will be needed if we decide to position the boiler as stated?

Cheers
Matt

interesting Q

my take as its in a cupboard with a door then it tecknicaly isnt "in the bathroom" would the atic be an option to save any problems tho?

interesting Q

my take as its in a cupboard with a door then it tecknicaly isnt "in the bathroom" would the atic be an option to save any problems tho?

Yeah that was my instinct too; if its separated by a door then "technically its a different room". The cupboard would be in Zone 2 as well, because the bathroom isn't huge either.

I might give the NICEIC a tinkle and post my findings.
Good thinking re the attic. I might look into that too.

Cheers

Matt

Yep in a cupboard is no problem in Zone 2 as long as when the door is opened it forms a barrier of 600mm to stop hands wandering from the bath into the enclosure.
I just double checked and our boiler is going outside zone 2 anyway DUH!!! :rolleyes:

Page 168 in the BRB for diagrams regarding barriers etc.

Hope that helps anyone reading.

Matt

this old thread came up when I was searching, I had an idea there was a regulation about cupboards that can only be opened with a tool, but I can't find it. Does that still apply? looking at the NICEIC checklist there is no mention of boilers, it looks like they have to be Outside the Zones.

The Homeowner wants to reconfigure the bathroom so the boiler would in in Zone 2.

TIA

Well done. 12 years dead thread.

im not sure of the regulation myself, but I think if a cupboard needs a tool to open, you can treat it as an enclosure that needs a tool…. There will be a reg about that.

There will be a reg about that.

bet google play have an app. for it too.

Reply to Boiler in the bathroom in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net