Discuss Boiler Isolator in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

KeithC

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just had a new condition report. He's given C2 for no fan isolator which I don't agree with.
He also given C2 for the boiler being on a plug/socket rather than a DP switch. I really can't see that being potentially dangerous, what do you guys think?
Also the free standing electric cooker has the cooker switch/isolator on the wall above it. I agree there is a burn risk but C2 or C3?

Thanks,

Keith.

Can't see why a boiler on a 13A plug even warrants a comment. What's the issue with it?
No issue, as far as I'm concerned. This is a money making chancer, he's even said the extractor fan shouldn't be in zone0/1. It's actually in zone 2 and I've just looked out the invoice for it, 3 years old and IP44.
What's the deal with 10mm main earth and 6mm gas/water? It was in regs at the time of installation, isn't that what matters? Do i need to upgrade unless i'm getting new circuits added or new consumer unit?

Cheers.

Boiler on a plughead satisfies some of the requirements and probably all from the boiler manufacturer POV. The only issue i can see is that you also remove the earth connection when you un plug it. You would want to ensure that the earthing is providing protection for instance from UFH valves or zone valves or anything that is powered independent from the boiler plug top. Typically the copper pipework at the boiler is earthed independently anyway which is the best solution.
I would ask him why he has C2 the boiler just in case he has seen something that worried him.

i'dalso ask him when he's buying his Ferrari. bloody chancer.

I’m fed up reading about chancers using Eicr s as a license to scam people into unnecessary remedial work

thr whole indusrty is going down to toilet
Yep. Well unluckily for him I had half an idea he was wrong. But how many others just accept it. Not good.
Do you have any thoughts about C2 for 6mm main earth and 6mm bonding? Do I really need to upgrade unless i'm getting new circuits added or new consumer unit?

No issue, as far as I'm concerned. This is a money making chancer, he's even said the extractor fan shouldn't be in zone0/1. It's actually in zone 2 and I've just looked out the invoice for it, 3 years old and IP44.
What's the deal with 10mm main earth and 6mm gas/water? It was in regs at the time of installation, isn't that what matters? Do i need to upgrade unless i'm getting new circuits added or new consumer unit?

Cheers.
The Best Practise Guide on EICR codes says that 6mm for bonding is fine, if no sign of thermal damage and does not require a code but should be noted

10mm main earth would depend on the main cutout fuse and supply type. For PME supplies the DNO often specify 16mm - but unless it's a TT (earth Rod) then the size is what they have supplied from their equipment - and they often won't upgrade it unless changing something else...

The adiabatic equation could be used to determine the required size of main earth - and 6mm will almost always be fine.

I much prefer EICRs that list the reg number beside observations -at least it gives some idea of what basis they are stating something is dangerous...

EDIT: The BPG does say that "Absence of a reliable and effective means of earthing for the installation", so worth checking that the Ze is acceptable - that would be the only reason I could see for a non-thermally damaged 10mm main earth to be given a C2.

Boiler on a plughead satisfies some of the requirements and probably all from the boiler manufacturer POV. The only issue i can see is that you also remove the earth connection when you un plug it. You would want to ensure that the earthing is providing protection for instance from UFH valves or zone valves or anything that is powered independent from the boiler plug top. Typically the copper pipework at the boiler is earthed independently anyway which is the best solution.
I would ask him why he has C2 the boiler just in case he has seen something that worried him.
But in theory if you unplugged it for the report, then it isn't part of the fixed wiring (though I know there are arguments that it's not that simple)...

I’m fed up reading about chancers using Eicr s as a license to scam people into unnecessary remedial work

thr whole indusrty is going down to toilet
I really think that there needs to be a system - where they are all electronically placed on file with some suitable national body (or even a respected forum of experts ahem) - who then checks a small %ge of them manually...

From what I've seen - they would pick up so many significant errors just from a tiny percentage overview that it would force something to be done...

Also would resolve any arguments down the line if something happened, as to what was written down - so a protection for the inspectors who are doing a proper job.

The problem is two fold at the moment

1. Inspectors massively over coding to gain extra work, or because they have a copy of CodeBreakers and no experience...
2. "inspectors" passing dangerous properties with no more than a 10 minute site visit and picture of the consumer unit...

But in theory if you unplugged it for the report, then it isn't part of the fixed wiring (though I know there are arguments that it's not that simple)...
IMO, it really does depend, from an EICR POV, i would not get excited by just seeing a plug top but i would immediately look to see how all the other controls are powered, e.g. timer, valves and the pipework. It is not un-usual to see 240V going to the boiler from a call for heat of a timer or thermostat, it is not a given that the 240V originates from the boiler, hence my comment about the earth being removed when un-plugged.

Time clock normally feed a socket, everything powered off plugtop, which is normally just the burner and working off hi low limit stat.

why is people using people they don't know? word of mouth is best soloution.. its no1 awnser in google. How did you find this electrician?

So I emailed and asked why were items being classed as C2's when they were OK and the time of installation, presumably the 16th.
Here's his reply.........
This is considered a general rule of thumb, however not strictly correct. You will tend to find that installations installed during the previous regulation publication will be considered a C3 rather than a C2. E.g Installations installed under the 17th edition will likely be C3 when tested/inspected as we are on the 18th edition of the wiring regulations. Installations during the 16th edition will likely be a C2. As said it is a rule of thumb but there are items which are considered a C2 regardless of the edition they were installed.

His comment on boiler isolation....
Regulation537.2: Devices for isolation and Regulation 537.3.2: Devices for mechanical maintenance

His comment on fan isolation....
Regulation537.2: Devices for isolation and Regulation 537.3.2: Devices for mechanical maintenance

His comment on the cooker switch being above the cooker....
Regulation 537.3.3 Devices for emergency switching off.

His comment on the position of the extractor fan being above the bath, even tough it is IP44..........
Regulation 701.55: Current-using equipment. 230v equipment cannot be installed within Zone1

His comment on the main eart being 6mm...........
Regulation 543.1.1: The cross sectional area of every protective conductor shall be calculated in accordance with regulation 543.1.3 or selected in accordance with Regulation 543.1.4. The regulations states that it a main protective bonding conductor shall have a cross sectional area not less than half the cross sectional area required for the earthing conductor and not less than 6mm2.

I'd really apreciate your views. Should I just get the work done or if he's wrong can I appeal in some way?

Cheers.

Regulation 701.55

In zone l, only the following fixed and permanently connected current-using equipment shall be installed, provided
it is suitable for installation in zone I according to the manufacturer's instructions:
(iv) Whirlpool units
(v) Electric showers
(vi) Shower pumps
(vii) Equipment protected by SELV or PELV at a nominal voltage not exceeding 25 VAC rms or 60 V ripple-free
DC, the safety source being installed outside zones 0, I and 2
(viii) Ventilation equipment
(ix) Towel rails
(x) Water heating appliances
(xi) Luminaires.

I've seen that mistake before - the only way I can read that regulation is that 240V extractor fans are allowed in zone 1, provided that the manufacturers instructions state it is suitable. Manufacturers instructions will usually require RCD - Do you know the make/model of fan?

The only benefit of the doubt may be that he couldn't determine whether the manufacturer states this can be used in Zone 1 - and if it doesn't then a low voltage fan would be needed. But his specific statement is wrong...

The separate issue with some of the other points is not whether they comply with current version of BS7671, it's whether that becomes a C2, C3, or even no code at all (originally the old C4).

Non compliance with BS7671 does NOT automatically mean a C2 - C2 means potentially dangerous - usually that if a fault or foreseeable situation occurs, then danger will occur...

The other ones you've listed sound like C3 to me, not C2, but obviously I've not seen the site as he has...

As to where you go from here, it's difficult. If he is a member of a body - NICEIC, NAPIT, then you could approach them. They will likely be cautious about intervening with an inspectors opinion, unless there are blatent errors, rather than judgement calls...

If you can post the whole document, with identifying details redacted, it may be clearer whether this is a case of judgement calls, or clear errors....

It may be worth going back to him, asking what guidance he uses to decide between C2/C3 etc - as at least that gives you a common point for discussion. The Government advice now specifically mentions Best Practice Guide 4 I believe, though some people use the NAPIT's book - Codebreakers, which seems to be harsher in some of its coding.

I assume this is for a rented property, in which case a satisfactory report is required?

In that case, your options are:

1. Get him to do the remedials and negotiate to get a satisfactory report. Get a clear quote of what he's going to do first and don't be afraid to question.
2. Get someone else to do the 'remedials', and/or someone competent to put in writing that they do not need doing - then use that in combination with the EICR you have to prove compliance.
3. Get someone else to do the EICR - in which case discuss with them beforehand the issues raised in the first one, to be sure you don't end up in a similar situation.

Last edited:
Regulation 701.55

In zone l, only the following fixed and permanently connected current-using equipment shall be installed, provided
it is suitable for installation in zone I according to the manufacturer's instructions:
(iv) Whirlpool units
(v) Electric showers
(vi) Shower pumps
(vii) Equipment protected by SELV or PELV at a nominal voltage not exceeding 25 VAC rms or 60 V ripple-free
DC, the safety source being installed outside zones 0, I and 2
(viii) Ventilation equipment
(ix) Towel rails
(x) Water heating appliances
(xi) Luminaires.

I've seen that mistake before - the only way I can read that regulation is that 240V extractor fans are allowed in zone 1, provided that the manufacturers instructions state it is suitable. Manufacturers instructions will usually require RCD - Do you know the make/model of fan?

The only benefit of the doubt may be that he couldn't determine whether the manufacturer states this can be used in Zone 1 - and if it doesn't then a low voltage fan would be needed. But his specific statement is wrong...

The separate issue with some of the other points is not whether they comply with current version of BS7671, it's whether that becomes a C2, C3, or even no code at all (originally the old C4).

Non compliance with BS7671 does NOT automatically mean a C2 - C2 means potentially dangerous - usually that if a fault or foreseeable situation occurs, then danger will occur...

The other ones you've listed sound like C3 to me, not C2, but obviously I've not seen the site as he has...

As to where you go from here, it's difficult. If he is a member of a body - NICEIC, NAPIT, then you could approach them. They will likely be cautious about intervening with an inspectors opinion, unless there are blatent errors, rather than judgement calls...

If you can post the whole document, with identifying details redacted, it may be clearer whether this is a case of judgement calls, or clear errors....

It may be worth going back to him, asking what guidance he uses to decide between C2/C3 etc - as at least that gives you a common point for discussion. The Government advice now specifically mentions Best Practice Guide 4 I believe, though some people use the NAPIT's book - Codebreakers, which seems to be harsher in some of its coding.

I assume this is for a rented property, in which case a satisfactory report is required?

In that case, your options are:

1. Get him to do the remedials and negotiate to get a satisfactory report. Get a clear quote of what he's going to do first and don't be afraid to question.
2. Get someone else to do the 'remedials', and/or someone competent to put in writing that they do not need doing - then use that in combination with the EICR you have to prove compliance.
3. Get someone else to do the EICR - in which case discuss with them beforehand the issues raised in the first one, to be sure you don't end up in a similar situation.
Thanks Dartlec,

It is for rental property, 3 actually. My problem is that I retired 10 years ago and now live in France so can't get back easily to take care of things.
I worked commercial so never had experience in houses or EICR's. The 1 bedroom flats were all bought like this. I did have the CU's changed in 2 of them 5 years ago. I know the make/model of the fan so I'll write to Xpelair, see what they say.
I hear you about C2's meaning potential danger, I'm struggling to see how a plug top suppying a boiler or lack of isolator (except the breaker) on a fan is going to cause any danger :)

What do you think about his comment that 7671 having new editions changes things. By his reckoning rewirables should be getting C2's now. No? Or do they? It was always my belief (wrongly?), that if it was once in the regs you couldn't give it a C2.

Cheers,

Keith.

What do you think about his comment that 7671 having new editions changes things. By his reckoning rewirables should be getting C2's now.

BS7671:2018 specifically says that installations to previous versions of the regs are not necessarily unsafe.

Best Practise Guide 4 says: "
"It should be borne in mind that, as stated in the introduction to BS 7671, existing installations that have been constructed in accordance with earlier editions of the Standard may not comply with the current edition in every respect, but this does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading."

Regarding the main earth, BPG4 says the following is a C2 - "Inadequate cross-sectional area of a main protective bonding conductor where the conductor is less than 6 mm2 or where there is evidence of thermal damage". More info needed about earthing system (TNCS / TNS etc.), suppliers fuse and size of tails to comment further really.

Notwithstanding my earlier comments wrt Earthing of said boiler.
Regulation 537.3.2.2 actually lists plug and socket as an acceptable device for switching off for mech maintenance, which i knew and virtually everyone in the industry i have met. (when asked0, lol - Therefore if he cannot understand that very simple straight forward regulation, i do now wonder how the rest of his judgements will appear under scutiny.... Second opinion time i think

Reply to Boiler Isolator in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock