Discuss Boiler off lighting circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on taking a combi boiler supply off the lighting circuit? I doubt the boiler would pull more than 300 watts and with all the led lamps being used on the lighting circuit,I doubt it would come to more than a couple of hundred watts.A 3 amp fuse in the boiler spur would be fitted.
This question arises due to the boiler being moved into the loft and the only supply up there is off the lights? If it's not acceptable then please explain why?

I have nicked a feed from the upstairs light for tv amps in the past with no issue

Combi boiler off the lights might only become an issue if you need to kill the lighting circuit to work on the boiler switch and in doing so you lose all your loft lighting

can you drag a 2.5 cable up from the airing cupboard and use the old immersion feed if there was one

Don't see a problem as long as it's FCU'd. As dusty says it might be a pain if you lose all loft lighting at points but just take a lead lamp or torch with you 👍

Personally i like to keep anything appliance related on the sockets and keep all lighting separate but sometimes needs must.

Last edited:
usuall y find that if a plumber has installed the boiler in the attic, he's......

1. made it almost ineaccesible.
2. blocked the only crawl space to access the rest of the attic.
3. nailed down a woodchip base over your ceiling light driver/s.

There are very few properties even the very old ones that don't have a stud wall where a cable could be fished from a socket circuit
No need to go fishing , 90% of houses have an airing cupboard with an old 16a immersion switch , just take a cable from this up the corner of the cupboard to feed the loft

That would be back when the sockets were few and far between
Before me and my dad rewired their 1950s house it was all the original black runner wiring and the box bedroom didn't have any sockets and the other 3 bedrooms only had 1 single socket. Lounge had 1 single and kitchen had 2 singles.
Would love to have wired these old houses, could have done 1st fix in a single day :)

I remember my Mother used to plug the iron into the bayonet cap lighting and take out the bulb and do her ironing from that. Oh and don't forget there was no earth with that! I also remember her heating up an iron on the stove and hand driven rollers to dry out the clothes.

I remember my Mother used to plug the iron into the bayonet cap lighting and take out the bulb and do her ironing from that. Oh and don't forget there was no earth with that! I also remember her heating up an iron on the stove and hand driven rollers to dry out the clothes.
I might still have some of the 2 way BC adaptors so you could have light and iron at the same time

There are very few properties even the very old ones that don't have a stud wall where a cable could be fished from a socket circuit
Not all that many in my local area...and even if there was, you'd find a bridger/noggin in the way that you'd have to open the wall up to get past

I might still have some of the 2 way BC adaptors so you could have light and iron at the same time
Always had one of those in the tool kit.
It had two uses - to temporarily fit 2 x 100 or 150W lamps in a room where I was working, or, combined with a short lead with a 13A trailing socket on one end and a B22 plug on the other, it served to power a drill in pre cordless days, when you only had a couple of holes to drill, and the nearest working socket was some distance away.

No need to go fishing , 90% of houses have an airing cupboard with an old 16a immersion switch , just take a cable from this up the corner of the cupboard to feed the loft
Agree, only thing to watch is it's sometimes on the non RCD side of a split load board, so depending on the purpose the route of new run can matter.

Agree, only thing to watch is it's sometimes on the non RCD side of a split load board, so depending on the purpose the route of new run can matter.
True

If you are fussed you could shift the mcb over to the rcd side if there was a spare ways that is

(I must admit (putting my tin hat firmly on) but on occasion I modify / extend a lighting circuit add a smoke or modify a circuit and don't always move it over to the rcd side when there are no spare ways)

Reply to Boiler off lighting circuit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net