Discuss Boiler spur location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rosco

-
Arms
Reaction score
Good morning guys and girls
I have attended a kitchen rewire this morning to test a install buy a 3rd party.
The boiler spur is directly above the draining board I'm quite sure this shouldn't be the case. I've been told by the installer that "it's fine it's rcd protected" is this just waffle to get me to sign it off.
Surely it's the same principle as a light switch inside a bathroom?

If you are signing off a third party cert, were you not involved at the start of the job ?
There is nothing to say that a FCU cannot be near a draining board, just as there is nothing wrong with a plate switch in a bathroom.

Suitability for the environmental effects likely to be encountered is the reg you have to consider here, and that's your call.

If you are signing off a third party cert, were you not involved at the start of the job ?
There is nothing to say that a FCU cannot be near a draining board, just as there is nothing wrong with a plate switch in a bathroom.

Suitability for the environmental effects likely to be encountered is the reg you have to consider here, and that's your call.
The work was done by the kitchen fitters my boss has just sent me to do a test on the whole house.
I personally wouldn't put the spur that close

The work was done by the kitchen fitters my boss has just sent me to do a test on the whole house.
I personally wouldn't put the spur that close

Which scheme are you notifying the work through ?
The 2 schemes that I know of that offer third party notification, Napit and Stroma, both require inspection at first and second fix.

You will be signing your name to the fact that you have inspected the cables at first fix and that all is compliant. If you personally are not happy with how things have been done, then don't sign your name to it.

We use the nic for all certs our qs deals with all the necessary notifying so wouldnt know, if it's not against regs can I put it as recommendation for improvement?

Are you there to do a periodic report ?
Does seem odd, if he's doing an EICR then he shouldn't be concerned about one specific issue, just give an honest appraisal of the whole installation. If he's doing a MWEIC or EIC then he can't be recommending improvements!!

Does seem odd, if he's doing an EICR then he shouldn't be concerned about one specific issue, just give an honest appraisal of the whole installation. If he's doing a MWEIC or EIC then he can't be recommending improvements!!
From what I can gather the landlord has asked us for a EICR and has had a new kitchen fitted and new services

Yea condition report
Then carry it out as normal then. You are not "signing off" anyone's work as you stated in the first post are you ?
Do you have the recent EIC/MWC from the kitchen install to hand ?

So does he have an EIC or minor works cert for the new work?
i don't think so he didn't mention when I asked about why the spur was that close to the drainer, I've always been under the impression that accessories should be kept away from sinks and draining boards

One of the first thing you should ask for when doing a periodic inspection is previous certs, especially recent ones. Ask for the certs, make a note on the report if there are none to the effect that recent work has not been carried out to BS7671, code the FCU referencing specific regulations if you see fit, job done.

The FCU is very likely to be splashed with water, in fact it will be if it's so close, so at the very least it is unsuitable for the environment, unless it's suitably IP rated.

Reply to Boiler spur location in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock