Discuss Boiler Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'll give it a go. It was more making sure I have the correct switch. Any tips for getting the lettering off

We have some BG brushed accessories as they were the only brand that offered grey inserts, rather than the usual option of black or white.

Much better quality than I had expected, but lettering started to disappear from cooker switch and that very same 3 pole isolator (used for the very same purpose) about the third time my other half wiped them with a cloth. I quickly finished the job with a thumb nail.

But what rating is your OCPD at the board? 6A for heating?
We don't have that information. If so, I agree absolutely no problem. But the boiler spur might equally be on a 16A radial or on the RFC.
Well now I'm lost lol

I have purchased a 3 pole fan 10amp switch.

It seems to have the same outputs L1 L2 etc...

Next to the boiler is the Hive box which I'm sure is wired into this switch then up to the boiler. I could be wrong.

Would any more photos help?
Sorry If I added confusion. The potential issue is just how much current the switch is designed to handle. Not so much about whether the boiler will overload it, more whether the regs allows a 10amp switch on a supply that is potentially fused higher.
Do you know which circuit breaker or Fuse isolates the boiler at your consumer unit? Does it have it's own breaker or Fuse or is it part of a plug sockets circuit?

We don't have that information. If so, I agree absolutely no problem. But the boiler spur might equally be on a 16A radial or on the RFC.

Sorry If I added confusion. The potential issue is just how much current the switch is designed to handle. Not so much about whether the boiler will overload it, more whether the regs allows a 10amp switch on a supply that is potentially fused higher.
Do you know which circuit breaker or Fuse isolates the boiler at your consumer unit? Does it have it's own breaker or Fuse or is it part of a plug sockets circuit?m

Do you know which circuit breaker or Fuse isolates the boiler at your consumer unit? Does it have it's own breaker or Fuse or is it part of a plug sockets circuit?
It has one on the circuit breaker picture attached

20210423_080722.jpg

Attachments

• 20210423_080722.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 0
My view having read up a little on this is that it's fine to use that switch. Apologies for distracting the thread by querying this. I like to know why things that feel like they ought to be allowed are actually allowed....

Reg 537.3.2.2 "When a switch is provided for this purpose [isolation for maintenance] is shall be capable of cutting off the full load current of the relevant part of the installation."

The full load-current would be the boiler current draw - control circuity, pump and fan. Should be nowhere near 10 amps.

Reply to Boiler Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net