Discuss Boiler trips rcd within 30 minutes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andystraughan

Hi guys

im going to have a look at a job tomorrow night. The lady states for the last 10 months! The boiler has been tripping the rcd on and off. You turn the central heating on and it trips in about 30 minutes. The women was a bit vague over the phone as she also says it trips with hot water being turned on as well. Some times 30 minutes some time 10 minutes sometime straight away.. she only wants me to have a visual look as i mentioned as soon as tools/tester comes out charges apply. Its a baxi boiler 5 year old. Wiring is ancient (her words) my question is what quick checks can i do to see whats causing it? Can it be the switching when the room has reached desired temperature? Simple bad connection? She also mentioned she has really bad damp. And had a plumber out to fix a gas leak, he looked for damp behind spur and said the wiring is shambles (his word) just the 30 minute rcd trip time is a bit confusing so any ideas on what to look out for would be great. This is tomorrow nights job Remember no tools/no megger Maybe a screw driver lol

cheers
andy

My advice? don't bother turning up, it needs to be looked at properly, turning up with a screwdriver and just a visual check to avoid any invoice is plain ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, when you have been could you update us with your finding after looking at the boiler for a while and maybe resetting the RCD please.

She needs to be told that she probably needs an EICR at whatever you charge for them mate, also if the wiring is as bad as she's been told it might need to be rewired. Obviously only a proper I&T will tell for sure but........

what we used to call "free legal aid merchants" if it isn't something blatently obvious which it won't be you aint going to find it just by looking,plus if it is are you then going to fix it for free?Don't waste your time,stay at home instead.

Hi guys

im going to have a look at a job tomorrow night. The lady states for the last 10 months! The boiler has been tripping the rcd on and off. You turn the central heating on and it trips in about 30 minutes. The women was a bit vague over the phone as she also says it trips with hot water being turned on as well. Some times 30 minutes some time 10 minutes sometime straight away.. she only wants me to have a visual look as i mentioned as soon as tools/tester comes out charges apply. Its a baxi boiler 5 year old. Wiring is ancient (her words) my question is what quick checks can i do to see whats causing it? Can it be the switching when the room has reached desired temperature? Simple bad connection? She also mentioned she has really bad damp. And had a plumber out to fix a gas leak, he looked for damp behind spur and said the wiring is shambles (his word) just the 30 minute rcd trip time is a bit confusing so any ideas on what to look out for would be great. This is tomorrow nights job Remember no tools/no megger Maybe a screw driver lol

cheers
andy

I can understand a boiler tripping an RCD off but can't for the life of me understand how the Hell it can trip it back on!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Boiler trips rcd within 30 minutes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net