Discuss Boiler Vs Burglar Alarm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All,

I wondered if someone might advise me on an issue I am having.

I turned off my power to replace a plug socket in my house and when I turned the power back on, the burglar alarm started going off. Unfortunately I have just bought and moved into the house and I do not know the codes.

However, I can't just leave the circuit breaker down for the house alarm because whoever did the electrical work has wired the boilers power into the same circuit. So I can't have my heating on at the moment.

Can I remove the alarm from the circuit breaker so that I can turn my boiler on or disable the alarm in some way as it is a bit cold with no heating or hot water (luckily I have an electric shower).

Any advice, gratefully received.

Bren.

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you can tell us what sort of alarm it is there may be a nice way to default it.
In the meantime...
Your best and safest bet is to find the fused spur (assuming there is one) that provides power to the alarm. Remove the fuse.
Open the alarm panel and disconnect the battery.
The external bells will have batteries in but they should only sound for 15 minutes.

If however the alarm panel is connected straight to the consumer unit with no fused spur, there is probably a fuse to pull out inside the alarm panel where the mains cables connect. Be careful!

brianmoooore

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Quick copy and google for that alarm says that it should reset itself after a power cut, so it may be faulty.
As timhoward has already said, I's expect to find a fused spur near the control panel, from which you can remove the fuse.

Reply to Boiler Vs Burglar Alarm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

BanksyElectric
I've bought a new house and I'm basically starting again on it I want to have a go at wiring the house alarm Do I take it as a radial circuit to the detectors and split up stairs with down stairs then wire the key pad and the outside box separate Any advice would be appreciated
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix
R
We have an old 1930's fuse box with integral master switch which we are replacing with a CU. Incidentally the house extension has its own circuits and CU. Both circuits are supplied through one one meter and supplier master circuit breaker. There is a (heavy) splitter box for the two...
Replies
Views
freddo
freddo
V
This one has caught me out twice now. Needed to isolate power to house that has a battery backed up alarm. Unknown to me the battery was flat, so when I turned on the power the alarm reset to factory settings and wouldn't switch off, resulting in an call out to a security firm on a Sunday and...
Replies
Views
UKMeterman
UKMeterman
A
Hi I’m after some advice please I understanding a fire alarm system. I get how the conventional and addressable are wired. By my question is about when an alarm goes off. So... In healthy state I assume there is a 24v or 12v running through the circuit? But when alarm goes off does all power...
Replies
Views
Darkwood
Darkwood
Hello all , I’m currently in the middle of readying my garden for next summer , basically I want to put power into my shed. running a 4mm armoured from the house to the shed and into the board inside the shed. The boards that are on sale have a 40amp main switch and then the two breakers for...
Replies
Views
123bill

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.