Discuss Boiling Water Tap installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Donald86

DIY
Reaction score
We have a boiling water tap to be installed shortly. Our only available socket is the unswitched socket where the washing machine plugs into which is fed from a grid switch above the counter (20a)
CAN THE CURRENT SINGLE SOCKET BE SWAPPED FOR A DOUBLE?
The manuals of each appliance say the
washing machine is 2050watts
boiling tap is 1600watts

According to the online calculators the amps for each one would be approx
Washing machine - 8.9 amps
Boiling tap - 6.9 amps
Totaling 15.8 amps

I presume these figures are the maximum it would use such as when the washing machine is performing its hottest wash or perhaps fastest spin cycle.
The boiling tap does not constantly heat up but only when water is drawn off which can take up to 10 minutes if fully emptied. The standby power consumption though is only 10 watts which it sits at most of the time.

Can anybody shed any light?

Thanks

Might be better to add a single socket if going this route

Better than converting the single to a double

Might be better to add a single socket if going this route

Better than converting the single to a double
agree - 2 singles, change back box for suitable. then each appliance is individually fused ( in plug).

But the molded plugs will be left on each appliance even if on the double socket.
true, but with single sockets, each rated at 20A, you are not loadedthem to capacity, whereas a double socket has the same 20A rating for both.

We have a boiling water tap to be installed shortly. Our only available socket is the unswitched socket where the washing machine plugs into which is fed from a grid switch above the counter (20a)
CAN THE CURRENT SINGLE SOCKET BE SWAPPED FOR A DOUBLE?
The manuals of each appliance say the
washing machine is 2050watts
boiling tap is 1600watts

According to the online calculators the amps for each one would be approx
Washing machine - 8.9 amps
Boiling tap - 6.9 amps
Totaling 15.8 amps

I presume these figures are the maximum it would use such as when the washing machine is performing its hottest wash or perhaps fastest spin cycle.
The boiling tap does not constantly heat up but only when water is drawn off which can take up to 10 minutes if fully emptied. The standby power consumption though is only 10 watts which it sits at most of the time.

Can anybody shed any light?

Thanks
That's all assuming everything upstream is ok

Switching and DB

true, but with single sockets, each rated at 20A, you are not loadedthem to capacity, whereas a double socket has the same 20A rating for both.
OK. The feed down from the grid switchs are generally spurs though.
The 2 appliances combined shouldn't exceed the 20a according to the calculations. If they did, the appliance fuses would trip first?

If this is a spur through a non-fused double pole switch then adding two one gang socket outlets will result in a multiple outlet spur. Whilst I agree it could be argued it is no different to a single two gang socket this is not the case, two one gang sockets are capable of drawing a maximum of 26A which would exceed the rating of the 20A switch whereas the two gang socket is assessed at 20A.

OK. The feed down from the grid switchs are generally spurs though.
The 2 appliances combined shouldn't exceed the 20a according to the calculations. If they did, the appliance fuses would trip first?
Just to mention that 13A fuses need a significant overload to blow quickly. They pass <20A for ever.
Nevertheless for all practical purposes, I think you're OK to fit a twin socket (MK of course ?) as discussed.
I have a washing machine and tumble dryer on a twin socket on a RFC, which get used simultaneously, and no sign of any thermal effects in the plugs or socket contacts during the past 20 years.

Boiling Water Tap installation 1632560039061 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Isn’t there a ref of appliances over 2kW being on their own circuit?

I wouldn’t have two heating appliances in the same double socket. Seen melted sockets with a washing machine and dishwasher plugged in.

Double socket. Yes it can be done, yes it’s within regulations, but I don’t think it’s a good idea.

Isn’t there a ref of appliances over 2kW being on their own circuit?

I wouldn’t have two heating appliances in the same double socket. Seen melted sockets with a washing machine and dishwasher plugged in.

Double socket. Yes it can be done, yes it’s within regulations, but I don’t think it’s a good idea.
I can understand 2 appliances with power consumptions over 2000 watts each but this boiling tap is rated lower at 1600 watts when heating which is for a few minutes here and there, not constantly for hours on end

I can understand 2 appliances with power consumptions over 2000 watts each but this boiling tap is rated lower at 1600 watts when heating which is for a few minutes here and there, not constantly for hours on end
Let's do a risk assessment (just concentrating on the power/overheating issue):
Is the wall your twin socket will be installed in made of brick, or other non-flammable material?
Will it be installed in a metal back box?
Will you use a twin socket from a reputable manufacturer? (which will be made of non-combustible material)
Can you use a torque driver when tightening up the socket terminals ?
If so, you are not going to set the house on fire, are you?

On the other hand, if your kitchen fitters apprentice mounts the socket in a Chinese knock-off plastic back box into a kitchen cabinet made of honeycomb cardboard, we might be more concerned!

I appreciate others have seen the occasional bad thing happen, but that shouldn't automatically invalidate the options.
It's not against regulations, it's all down to your judgement.

Reply to Boiling Water Tap installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock