Discuss bonding conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why would you be relying on next doors bonding? It either needs bonding or the resistance is of that that it doesn't need bonding, effectively seperate from earth.

Because its a separate property on a separate supply.
Also you never know what the might
Happen in the future as to pipe work.
Bonding is required in each property to bring all parallel paths to the
Same potential.
Obviously sometimes this isn't required if there are no parallel paths

can understand what your saying,i would bond it tho,like you say who knows what can happen in the future?plumber turns up to change pipe work next door fits plastic or doesnt refit the clamp?leaves all the pipework in your property
unbonded,assuming it is copper piping

so in a block of eight flats, each one has its own meter and fuseboard, there is one main incoming water off the street which branches off to each flat, just bonding the incoming water?? to which MET would you bond it to then?

so in a block of eight flats, each one has its own meter and fuseboard, there is one main incoming water off the street which branches off to each flat, just bonding the incoming water?? to which MET would you bond it to then?
I have just looked at a job that fits this scenario. There is a 50mm copper riser with meters sprouting of it on each floor in the stairwell. At the moment there are two 6mm bonding cables clamped to a couple of the branches one of which goes to the power head of the flat I am concerned with. The copper pipework within the flat is being renewed and I propose fitting a 10mm bond at the kitchen stopcock back to the MET WITHIN the flat. Am I correct in this course of action.

Separate supplies with separate MET's then it will need bonding, exactly the same as in block of flats. Doesn't matter how close the 2 conection points are, you treat each individual dwelling as a separate entity!!

Separate supplies with separate MET's then it will need bonding, exactly the same as in block of flats. Doesn't matter how close the 2 conection points are, you treat each individual dwelling as a separate entity!!

But as Tel said earlier on, what if someone stuck a piece of plastic in between? It would depend how atractive the next door neighbour is.

I'd do exactly what you say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just looked at a job that fits this scenario. There is a 50mm copper riser with meters sprouting of it on each floor in the stairwell. At the moment there are two 6mm bonding cables clamped to a couple of the branches one of which goes to the power head of the flat I am concerned with. The copper pipework within the flat is being renewed and I propose fitting a 10mm bond at the kitchen stopcock back to the MET WITHIN the flat. Am I correct in this course of action.

Yes, each separate flat should be treated as separate place.
As e54 said.

Obviously you need to check that each separate flat needs bonding with your tester.
If there's no parallel path to earth no need to bring it to the Same potential.

But as Tel said earlier on, what if someone stuck a piece of plastic in between? It would depend how atractive the next door neighbour is.

I'd do exactly what you say.

This case is a little different from blocks of flats, in that the Granny flat is attached to the main building and uses an extension of the house water service, where flats would be taken individually from a main riser feed. But seeing as the two separate unit's are owned by the same homeowner the chances of a plastic pipe isolating the units is to be honest remote. You could always make the homeowner aware, that if any plastic pipe is inserted into the water service between the two units he will need an electrician to test the Granny flat. So to ascertain if the service in that unit still remains extraneous or not, (over 23Kohms) if it's not, the bonding conductor and clamp needs to be removed!!

I have spoken to great white oracle ( who takes my money every year so I can be in their gang ) & he informed me that I should bond the water pipe where it enters the flat to the cu in the flat. So that is what I will do, many thanks for all the answers & comments.

Hi
Can somebody tell me what earthing arrangments are at the origin of both supplies?, for example if the house supply earth was PME and the flat earth was TT then as things stand you could be introducing a different earth potential back into the main house as the water pipes are connected at the moment. A solution may be for earthing purposes is to install a piece of plastic pipe from the main house where it enters into the flat this would seperate bonding pipework and earth potentials, although there still could be implications within the common water.

Hi
Can somebody tell me what earthing arrangments are at the origin of both supplies?, for example if the house supply earth was PME and the flat earth was TT then as things stand you could be introducing a different earth potential back into the main house as the water pipes are connected at the moment. A solution may be for earthing purposes is to install a piece of plastic pipe from the main house where it enters into the flat this would seperate bonding pipework and earth potentials, although there still could be implications within the common water.
Or just install bonding as per the requirements of BS7671.
There could be difference in potential even if both installations are PME, just the same as with neighbouring properties in a terrace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id be bonding both flats seperately. I think if you test you'll find the water could be an extrenupus part. They are two seperate supplies with two seperate earths.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reply to bonding conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net