Discuss bonding conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnny999

I went to look at a system today, a house with a granny flat attached, separate supplies, meters, boards etc, no gas or oil into either property but when I looked at the water the main house had bonding where it came into the property but the flat didn't. On further investigation, where the water comes into the main house it branches of through the wall into the flat ( approx distance of 2 feet ), the flat water pipes are effectively bonded to the main house board. Not sure how to go about this, if I install bonding from the flat board to where the water comes in the flat i will be "linking" both boards together!! If i leave it as it has been for years how do I fill out the paper work as it will have no bonding. Has anybody come across this or can anyone with better knowledge than me help me out.
regards

THE WATER PIPES IN THE FLAT ARE BONDED IN THE HOUSE. NOM NEED TO CONNECT TO FLAT cu. JUST VERIFY BONDING IS INTACT WITH A WANDER LEAD.

oops, cap lock.

hi quick question you sa seperate supplies sorry to contradict but is it two seperate main incoming supplies with their own cable head fuse or is it one cable head with more than one fuse at main incomer ..?

It Is a strange one, you'd have to just note on the cert that there is a bond to the water and the incoming service is in the house.. I can't see my annual assessor faulting that.

Did I read it wrong... There is only one water service providing both the house and the flat... One service, one bond

If the flat has its own meter then it must have a separate address,therefore it is two separate installations with an incoming water supply to each,ie the flat water main is received from beyond the equipotential zone and making it an incoming service which would require bonding?

and if someone were to fit plastic between the house and flat at some time in the future, maybe due to a burst pipe, the flat would then have no bonding .

hi quick question you sa seperate supplies sorry to contradict but is it two seperate main incoming supplies with their own cable head fuse or is it one cable head with more than one fuse at main incomer ..?

two separate supplies two separate heads & two separate meters, only thing connecting house & flat is the brick wall & the water. ( both properties owned by main house occupier )
regards

it does have its own address 38a, it has its own supply & head, the water main enters into the main house, 38, has a meter & stop tap, then splits into two, one branch goes off & supplies the house & the other goes through the connecting wall into the flat, with another stop tap just inside the flat then carries on to supply the flat. The bonding on the water mains where it enters the house is approx 2 ft from where the branch enters the flat ( just a wall separates it )

One incoming service requires one main bond, why put 2 bonds on the same incoming service only 2ft apart on the same copper pipe?

One incoming service requires one main bond, why put 2 bonds on the same incoming service only 2ft apart on the same copper pipe?

Oh well next time i do an EICR and find the is no main bond to the water i will check next door,if theres is bonded i can tick satisfactory then?

Every seperate property should have its own bonding. Otherwise as said, you could rely on one house in the terrace having it LOL

Sure there's a pic and section in the on site guide on it.

Every seperate property should have its own bonding. Otherwise as said, you could rely on one house in the terrace having it LOL

That's not quite right though is it.... ;)

Bonding is only required if there is an extraneous conductive part.

From Granny flat test pipework, find it doesn't read as being extraneous and therefore will not require bonding, just as if it was fed via a plastic pipe.

:thumbsup

From Granny flat test pipework, find it doesn't read as being extraneous and therefore will not require bonding, just as if it was fed via a plastic pipe.

fair comment i agree it would test ok,what happens when for some reason next doors bonding becomes disconnected then?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fair point, I missed that part out. ;)
Obviously you need to obtain if it needs bonding 1st. Thanks for correcting me :)
I can't even use the 'it's late excuse' lol

Reply to bonding conundrum in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net