Discuss bonding house into 2 flats? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rapidrich

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi im currently working on a house being converted into 2 flats they will both hav there own db theres going to be 1 water suply in but they will hav seperate gas supply....i will bond to the indevidual gas pipes but do i run bonds from both db's to the 1 water in ?another thing is the gas in runs up the outside wall into the property under the floor boards to a cupboard suplying a boiler so do i bond wer it enters the building (under the floor boards ? or wer it visable in cupboard going to the boiler? thanx

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
A

acat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would bond both properties seperately for the simple reason that if the bonding in the one flat is broken neither flat has an earth if you earth both you cant go wrong.

If I remeber correctly all bonding of meters should be within 600mm of the meter or where it enters the building. If Im wrong on that one someone is bound to correct me so keep an eye on your post

Chris

R

rapidrich

i think ur right about the 600mm i was just wondering about it being under the floor boards
i will bond the gas seperatly i just wanted to no if its ok to run bonding from each db to the same point on the water in ?

M

Mac

The gas should be bonded 600mm from where it enters the property.If it is under the floorboard and they have run a supply to the cupboard there should be access where they have already lifted the boards.:D

R

rapidrich

cool how about the running of 2 to the water in?

M

Mac

cool how about the running of 2 to the water in?
Is there a stop cock in each flat.I would take a 10mm from each flat and take it to the stop cock where it comes into the property.Where and how is the water fed to each flat.Are the electricity supplies fed from a basement or something.You still may need to bond the main water pipe coming in,without looking at it,it's a bit difficult:)

R

rapidrich

thers 1 stop cock in the bottom flat wich feeds the bottom flat and also feeds a tank in the loft wich will feed the upstairs flat i was going to bond it but do i bond it with the upstairs and dowstairs db's?

S

Spudnik

Agree with Mac, however, i would bond the gas where visible where it comes up through the floor.

"within 600mm or where practicable".

R

rapidrich

ok im just goin to run 10mm from the 2 db's to the 1 water in but now u hav thrown a spanner in the works jason do i go 600mm wer it enters the property or 600mm from wer it becomes visable?

S

Spudnik

ok im just goin to run 10mm from the 2 db's to the 1 water in but now u hav thrown a spanner in the works jason do i go 600mm wer it enters the property or 600mm from wer it becomes visable?
Personally i would do it where it comes up through the floor, if its right by the meter.

All bonding connections should be visible for future inspections.

R

rapidrich

the meter is outside off the property the pipe runs about three meteres under floor board b4 entering the cupboard ?

S

Spudnik

the meter is outside off the property the pipe runs about three meteres under floor board b4 entering the cupboard ?
If you can get under the floor then bond it in the meter box.

Try to feed the cable in to the bottom of the box and avoid going through the back.

Having said that, i have just done 2 flats and it runs about 40 meters around the block before it enters the building under the boiler.

I bonded where it came in through the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mac

Personally i would do it where it comes up through the floor, if its right by the meter.

All bonding connections should be visible for future inspections.
I agree,but it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, but the gas still isn't bonded 600mm from where it enters the property.There maybe a tee off to the cooker if it has one and all connections should be made before any branches off the gas pipe

S

Spudnik

I agree,but it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, but the gas still isn't bonded 600mm from where it enters the property.There maybe a tee off to the cooker if it has one and all connections should be made before any branches off the gas pipe
See above^^:)

R

rapidrich

this place as been totaly gutted can access all areas has no celings are in these property's there is no t off's the gas supplys will only supply the boilers

S

Spudnik

this place as been totaly gutted can access all areas has no celings are in these property's there is no t off's the gas supplys will only supply the boilers
Hmm, doesnt stop anyone in the future teeing off under the floor tho.

Best do it in the meter box.

R

rapidrich

i get you best to be safe than sorry

M

Mac

If you have access all areas then you're laughing.I would still take a 10mm to the mains water and gas where it enters the property in case there is a break in continuity from the other flat and still run a bond to the main gas and water

R

rapidrich

this is what im going to do then flat upstair 10mm to numer 1 gas in 600 mm frm wer it comes through the wall (entering the property) and 10mm to water in......flat downstairs 10mm to gas supply num 2 as above and 10mm to same water in as the upstairs flat x does this sound ok?

M

Mac

this is what im going to do then flat upstair 10mm to numer 1 gas in 600 mm frm wer it comes through the wall (entering the property) and 10mm to water in......flat downstairs 10mm to gas supply num 2 as above and 10mm to same water in as the upstairs flat x does this sound ok?
I think your sorted there mate,go for it.:cool:

Agree with Mac, however, i would bond the gas where visible where it comes up through the floor.

"within 600mm or where practicable".
agree.. it needs to be accessable for inspection.if buried under a carpet,or got forbid wooden flooring,you will not be able to prove its bonded correctly on a PIR for example.
bond water main from main earth terminal at incomer. and run seperate earths to water main in flats from own DBs;)

R

rapidrich

so do i bond the gas wer it comes out of the floor boards grandad? this is atleast 4-5 meters from the gas meter outside?

C

chugs76

As a niceic qualified supervisor i agree with jason s bond the water and gas where it is visable for furture testing purposes.
600mm is the norm but if you cant achieve this do it as near as possible.

M

Mac

As a niceic qualified supervisor i agree with jason s bond the water and gas where it is visable for furture testing purposes.
600mm is the norm but if you cant achieve this do it as near as possible.
Sorry mate i disagree with that,near as possible to what.It should be 600mm from the point of entry into the property.If you can't get near as possible to point of entry then you should take it back to the main supply.:DWould an Elecsa and Napit supervisor say that too?

S

Spudnik

I think what chugs is saying is NOT to bond it under the floor.

Have a read of 544.1.2

Clear as mud:D

M

Mac

I think what chugs is saying is NOT to bond it under the floor.

Have a read of 544.1.2

Clear as mud:D
I didn't say that.If you can't earth the gas supply 600mm coming into the property as stated in the regs,i would take an earth connection to the meter itself.Sorry mate,my perrogative;)

R

rapidrich

so wat u are saying is bond outside the property ?

R

rapidrich

the meter cupboard is out side is that ok ?

M

Mac

so wat u are saying is bond outside the property ?
If you can't get an accessible bond within 600mm from the point of entry to the property,i would take it straight to the meter.That is the way i would do it mate.Mr NICEC said you can bond at the first accessible point from the floorboard.So tell me why i can't bond a gas supply straight behind the cooker if the CU is in the kitchen and the meter is at the other end of the house.No difference:D

T

tpotsparky

From experience a house converted into flats it is a requirement to have separate water supply to each flat WRAS regs. As a new supply being plastic throughout including isolation valves is bonding necessary ??? - hope this helps

S

Spudnik

From experience a house converted into flats it is a requirement to have separate water supply to each flat WRAS regs. As a new supply being plastic throughout including isolation valves is bonding necessary ??? - hope this helps

Yes it is if the plumbing in the flats is all copper.

L

lukeallen88

if the gas meter is on the outside of the house then its got to be bonded 600mm from where it enters the property not where it becomes visable.

S

SirKit Breaker

I havent checked in the 17th BRB, but there was a get out clause in the 16th regarding distance for bonding, and it was "or a close as practically possible" or words to that effect.

I should have checked as i had to bond a house recently on a CU swap cos it hadnt had any since it was built in 1970 odd. and the nearest i could get was about 8 feet from the meter on the gas without digging up the living room laminate flooring. I just put it as a departure, and i think 8 feet from the meter is a big improvement on the nothing they had before, and running a 10mm green and yellow cable around the outside wasnt going to happen either.

Cheers.........Howard;)

Reply to bonding house into 2 flats? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom