Discuss bonding house into 2 flats? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rapidrich

hi im currently working on a house being converted into 2 flats they will both hav there own db theres going to be 1 water suply in but they will hav seperate gas supply....i will bond to the indevidual gas pipes but do i run bonds from both db's to the 1 water in ?another thing is the gas in runs up the outside wall into the property under the floor boards to a cupboard suplying a boiler so do i bond wer it enters the building (under the floor boards ? or wer it visable in cupboard going to the boiler? thanx

I would bond both properties seperately for the simple reason that if the bonding in the one flat is broken neither flat has an earth if you earth both you cant go wrong.

If I remeber correctly all bonding of meters should be within 600mm of the meter or where it enters the building. If Im wrong on that one someone is bound to correct me so keep an eye on your post

Chris

i think ur right about the 600mm i was just wondering about it being under the floor boards
i will bond the gas seperatly i just wanted to no if its ok to run bonding from each db to the same point on the water in ?

The gas should be bonded 600mm from where it enters the property.If it is under the floorboard and they have run a supply to the cupboard there should be access where they have already lifted the boards.:D

cool how about the running of 2 to the water in?
Is there a stop cock in each flat.I would take a 10mm from each flat and take it to the stop cock where it comes into the property.Where and how is the water fed to each flat.Are the electricity supplies fed from a basement or something.You still may need to bond the main water pipe coming in,without looking at it,it's a bit difficult:)

thers 1 stop cock in the bottom flat wich feeds the bottom flat and also feeds a tank in the loft wich will feed the upstairs flat i was going to bond it but do i bond it with the upstairs and dowstairs db's?

Agree with Mac, however, i would bond the gas where visible where it comes up through the floor.

"within 600mm or where practicable".

ok im just goin to run 10mm from the 2 db's to the 1 water in but now u hav thrown a spanner in the works jason do i go 600mm wer it enters the property or 600mm from wer it becomes visable?

ok im just goin to run 10mm from the 2 db's to the 1 water in but now u hav thrown a spanner in the works jason do i go 600mm wer it enters the property or 600mm from wer it becomes visable?

Personally i would do it where it comes up through the floor, if its right by the meter.

All bonding connections should be visible for future inspections.

the meter is outside off the property the pipe runs about three meteres under floor board b4 entering the cupboard ?

If you can get under the floor then bond it in the meter box.

Try to feed the cable in to the bottom of the box and avoid going through the back.

Having said that, i have just done 2 flats and it runs about 40 meters around the block before it enters the building under the boiler.

I bonded where it came in through the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i would do it where it comes up through the floor, if its right by the meter.

All bonding connections should be visible for future inspections.
I agree,but it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, but the gas still isn't bonded 600mm from where it enters the property.There maybe a tee off to the cooker if it has one and all connections should be made before any branches off the gas pipe

I agree,but it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other, but the gas still isn't bonded 600mm from where it enters the property.There maybe a tee off to the cooker if it has one and all connections should be made before any branches off the gas pipe

See above^^:)

this place as been totaly gutted can access all areas has no celings are in these property's there is no t off's the gas supplys will only supply the boilers

this place as been totaly gutted can access all areas has no celings are in these property's there is no t off's the gas supplys will only supply the boilers

Hmm, doesnt stop anyone in the future teeing off under the floor tho.

Best do it in the meter box.

If you have access all areas then you're laughing.I would still take a 10mm to the mains water and gas where it enters the property in case there is a break in continuity from the other flat and still run a bond to the main gas and water

this is what im going to do then flat upstair 10mm to numer 1 gas in 600 mm frm wer it comes through the wall (entering the property) and 10mm to water in......flat downstairs 10mm to gas supply num 2 as above and 10mm to same water in as the upstairs flat x does this sound ok?

this is what im going to do then flat upstair 10mm to numer 1 gas in 600 mm frm wer it comes through the wall (entering the property) and 10mm to water in......flat downstairs 10mm to gas supply num 2 as above and 10mm to same water in as the upstairs flat x does this sound ok?
I think your sorted there mate,go for it.:cool:

Reply to bonding house into 2 flats? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock